Mar 12th, '12, 20:38
Vendor Member

Re: My first Yixing teapot

by gingkoseto » Mar 12th, '12, 20:38

TIM wrote:Glad that we are reading the same book, but could you point out the paragraph Gingkoseto you are referring to please or a closer scan? I cant find the subject you are referring to :cry:
Marked on your picture, circled with red pencil, page3, the last paragraph.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70 ... titled.png
Earlier on this page, he said there are 6 types clay resources in Yixing, and the last three (red, purple, duan clays) are what he said to be clays of yixing tea wares. And this is repeated a few pages later (the next page to the last page of your photo).

Mar 13th, '12, 01:11

by chrl42 » Mar 13th, '12, 01:11

TIM wrote:Aside, When I was visiting factory 1 and interviewing He Daohong. I did asked what is the best zisha or mine from. He mentioned Qing Long Mt. Mine is the best, not as the popular believe of Huang Long Mt. So, many opinions and even more speculations.... One thing I do believe in, its important to hold the real article in hands and make your own judgment with the help of a Master standing next to you :wink:
I dunno Qinglong still has the clay, maybe not anymore. Or could it be Bao mt.? which is closer to Qinglong, and clay composition is very similar too. Bao mt is the oldest mine to be existed, since Ming dynasty.

BTW, He Daohong is the living legend..probably the greatest among whom still make pots. IMHO, he's one and only who can copy Shao Daheng, whom Gu Jingzhou admired the most. :P
Attachments
12.jpg
Daheng Duo Qiu..simplest yet the hardest shape to make
12.jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

Mar 13th, '12, 01:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Mar 13th, '12, 01:50

what a gorgeous ear!

Mar 13th, '12, 12:24
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 13th, '12, 12:24

gingkoseto wrote:
TIM wrote:Glad that we are reading the same book, but could you point out the paragraph Gingkoseto you are referring to please or a closer scan? I cant find the subject you are referring to :cry:
Earlier on this page, he said there are 6 types clay resources in Yixing, and the last three (red, purple, duan clays) are what he said to be clays of yixing tea wares. And this is repeated a few pages later (the next page to the last page of your photo).
Also from the same text, besides the Purple, Red and Green. He also added Big Red, Black, White, Ben Shan Green and Ink Green also. I dont think we can extract it out of context when reading the book. Perhaps reading it as a whole will be a better translation. Most of the time, when we inject a personal interpretation to text like this, confusion starts?
Just a thought :wink:

Mar 13th, '12, 13:33

by armin » Mar 13th, '12, 13:33

Good point Tim... Very interesting, the first time I hear to read a clay book as a whole... Usually I do that with the Bible for the exact same reason :)
Do you know by any chance if there is an English translation of that book? The letters are to small in the original one... another insignificant detail is that I don't speak nor read chinese :)

Mar 13th, '12, 16:56
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 13th, '12, 16:56

TIM wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:
Also from the same text, besides the Purple, Red and Green. He also added Big Red, Black, White, Ben Shan Green and Ink Green also. I dont think we can extract it out of context when reading the book. Perhaps reading it as a whole will be a better translation. Most of the time, when we inject a personal interpretation to text like this, confusion starts?
I had no intention of judging what's right or what's wrong, just felt obliged to respond to your comment on "three types of yixing clays" being "misunderstanding".

Mar 13th, '12, 17:20
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 13th, '12, 17:20

gingkoseto wrote:
TIM wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:
I had no intention of judging what's right or what's wrong, just felt obliged to respond to your comment on "three types of yixing clays" being "misunderstanding".
I understand and fully agreed with you Seto, we are not here to judge, and who am I to determine right or wrong from a world away about clay/sand mixture? What's common to pin/mix from the factories or studios over there, we will never fully understand. At the end, there is no meaning to discuss combat on paper. Specially we are holding mass product low quality Yixing in the West, who knows what sand they added from what beach :wink:

Mar 13th, '12, 23:57

by chrl42 » Mar 13th, '12, 23:57

It's true, early days had more clay..so they called it 5-color-clay (Wu Se Tu)..early days used different clays from now..and what they called Qing Ni (green clay) is today's Zi Ni, meaning Zi Ni turns green when high firing. This comment comes from a seller who met Han Qi Lou in person.

Most of old claim comes from Zhou Gao Qi's book of Ming..and other from mid-Qing.

Han Qi Lou is a monumental person in Yixing study..'specially in translating old scrips and early Ming-Qing dynasty Yixings. But his usage of word could have 'gap' to today's understanding. Today, calling Yixing clay has 3 types of clay gets no disagreement whatsoever.. :roll:

Mar 14th, '12, 01:00
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 14th, '12, 01:00

TIM wrote: I understand and fully agreed with you Seto, we are not here to judge, and who am I to determine right or wrong from a world away about clay/sand mixture? What's common to pin/mix from the factories or studios over there, we will never fully understand. At the end, there is no meaning to discuss combat on paper. Specially we are holding mass product low quality Yixing in the West, who knows what sand they added from what beach :wink:
Most guys' are. Yours are not :wink:

Mar 14th, '12, 01:03
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 14th, '12, 01:03

chrl42 wrote:It's true, early days had more clay..so they called it 5-color-clay (Wu Se Tu)..early days used different clays from now..and what they called Qing Ni (green clay) is today's Zi Ni, meaning Zi Ni turns green when high firing. This comment comes from a seller who met Han Qi Lou in person.

Most of old claim comes from Zhou Gao Qi's book of Ming..and other from mid-Qing.

Han Qi Lou is a monumental person in Yixing study..'specially in translating old scrips and early Ming-Qing dynasty Yixings. But his usage of word could have 'gap' to today's understanding. Today, calling Yixing clay has 3 types of clay gets no disagreement whatsoever.. :roll:
Are you going to buy the 2000 yuan version of Han Qilou's book? Or probably you have bought it :mrgreen: It looks nice.

Mar 14th, '12, 01:22

by chrl42 » Mar 14th, '12, 01:22

Did he publish a new version? I didn't know he had 2000rmb one..nope I'm not thinking of buying it. Best thing is when one finds a similar level :mrgreen:

Mar 14th, '12, 19:55

by armin » Mar 14th, '12, 19:55

The pot is here... I was thrilled with joy this morning when I got it...
Its name is Mammoth (Brandon is the godfather who named it), a 200 cc capacity taking up lots of tea but fits my needs while entertaining friends ( I may start to charge them lol).
Here some pictures with it...
If someone can tell me please what's written on the bottom and inside the lid it would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks everyone for your guidance and support in getting my first Yixing pot.... now off to get the 2nd one (50cc and a 130cc and maybe a Duan Ni...? Where are the money when you need them?)

Mar 15th, '12, 03:04

by etorix » Mar 15th, '12, 03:04

armin: used it yet? are u conditioning it first?

looks like a well-detailed pot, not seen good pics of her 200ml before

Mar 15th, '12, 06:35

by bagua7 » Mar 15th, '12, 06:35

armin wrote:The pot is here...
Congrats on your new pot :) It's an excellent pourer and excellent shape for shou puerh. I wouldn't use that size for dao hong pao but for every day drinking puerh that you leave inside the pot it's far from being a gigantic size; it will also allow the tightly compressed leaves to fully expand.

Enjoy!

Mar 15th, '12, 10:13

by armin » Mar 15th, '12, 10:13

etorix wrote:armin: used it yet? are u conditioning it first?

looks like a well-detailed pot, not seen good pics of her 200ml before
Hi Etroix, yes I boiled and conditioned the pot first... It's amazing how the tea has a different taste if brew in a pot :)

I am very curious now about green tea made in a Duan Ni clay pot....

+ Post Reply