What is your favourite Yixing teapot shape?

De Zhong
2
3%
Duo Qiu
3
5%
Fang Gu
5
8%
Han Bian
0
No votes
Liu Fang
0
No votes
Li Xing
2
3%
Qing Quan
0
No votes
Rou Bian
0
No votes
Rong Tian
0
No votes
Shi Piao
3
5%
Shui Ping/Biao Zhun
24
41%
Tai Jian
1
2%
Tseng Lan
0
No votes
Wen Dan
1
2%
Xi Shi
18
31%
Other
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 59

User avatar
May 18th 14 5:01 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by Tead Off » May 18th 14 5:01 am

Si Ting and related pots are seen with and without metal (brass, gold, etc.) rims on spout and mouth from the Qing period onwards. Here in SE Asia, you see many like this. It's not clear to me whether they are for protection, aesthetics, or for covering chips. Maybe for all these reasons. They can really accent a lovely teapot.
Qing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
May 19th 14 1:47 am
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by chrl42 » May 19th 14 1:47 am

Tead Off wrote:Si Ting and related pots are seen with and without metal (brass, gold, etc.) rims on spout and mouth from the Qing period onwards. Here in SE Asia, you see many like this. It's not clear to me whether they are for protection, aesthetics, or for covering chips. Maybe for all these reasons. They can really accent a lovely teapot.
Qing.jpg
No offense.

But I think those pots are later-rimmed pots, later-rimming is mostly to 'hide' broken spots of pots.

Left one is called Lian Zi, it's a shape exported for Japan, tracing since late-Daoguang period. There were specific shapes the Japanese liked and Lian Zi is one of them.

Right one is Daoguang period's typical Gongfu Zhuni. That shi-huang Zhuni is mid-Qing's trait, which later Zhuni (including late-Qing) are unlikely to follow the beauty of the color.


Those SE asian rimming is somewhat later. Which I think related to their ethnic preference, but unlike bronze rims, gold rims are not oxidated in color over time..so I could be wrong :D

User avatar
May 19th 14 2:20 am
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by chrl42 » May 19th 14 2:20 am

bagua7 wrote:Image
Anyone using any of these? What kind of tea have you found ideal for this particular shape?
Wa Dang must be started from Chen Man-sheng (correct me if wrong).

But your pot is called Chuan Shi Wa Dang, a late-Qing/ROC commercial Yixing :D

User avatar
May 20th 14 4:23 pm
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by kyarazen » May 20th 14 4:23 pm

chrl42 wrote:
bagua7 wrote:Image
Anyone using any of these? What kind of tea have you found ideal for this particular shape?
Wa Dang must be started from Chen Man-sheng (correct me if wrong).

But your pot is called Chuan Shi Wa Dang, a late-Qing/ROC commercial Yixing :D
is there any reason for it not to be called ban-wa/dang?
and also what is the difference between a "chuan-shi" version and a non "chuan-shi" version?

User avatar
May 22nd 14 7:32 am
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mar 23rd 08 2:26 am
Location: Yixing

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by chrl42 » May 22nd 14 7:32 am

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
bagua7 wrote:Image
Anyone using any of these? What kind of tea have you found ideal for this particular shape?
Wa Dang must be started from Chen Man-sheng (correct me if wrong).

But your pot is called Chuan Shi Wa Dang, a late-Qing/ROC commercial Yixing :D
is there any reason for it not to be called ban-wa/dang?
and also what is the difference between a "chuan-shi" version and a non "chuan-shi" version?
It's just a calling :D

calling is just to call, it doesn't 'mean' the pots.

One pot might have a few other names, like Bian Deng/Shen Deng or Li Xing/Xi Shi. Chuan Shi (傳世) has that characters inscribed. But I don't think that fashion existed during mid-Qing up to Chen Man-sheng's pots.

User avatar
Feb 13th 19 6:09 pm
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 15th 18 6:06 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by kukicha » Feb 13th 19 6:09 pm

Image
This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.

Feb 20th 19 4:03 am
Posts: 259
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Feb 20th 19 4:03 am

kukicha wrote: Image
This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
I do not own one, but I know where to get one. That one is F1 Yixing, so vintage, priced accordingly. Contact me if you are seriously interested only as I'd need to spend some time to get it!

Feb 28th 19 4:14 am
Posts: 259
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Feb 28th 19 4:14 am

kukicha wrote: This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Just a heads up, I got it anyways, will be posting it in the tea swap area soon with details!
see here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23226&p=301272#p301272

User avatar
Mar 5th 19 8:56 pm
Posts: 18
Joined: Jun 15th 18 6:06 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by kukicha » Mar 5th 19 8:56 pm

FBee wrote:
kukicha wrote: This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Just a heads up, I got it anyways, will be posting it in the tea swap area soon with details!
see here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23226&p=301272#p301272

Oh man, i wish i logged on to check up sooner!
Oh well, one day i'm sure I'll find one, eh?

Mar 12th 19 2:05 pm
Posts: 259
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Mar 12th 19 2:05 pm

kukicha wrote:
FBee wrote:
kukicha wrote: This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Just a heads up, I got it anyways, will be posting it in the tea swap area soon with details!
see here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23226&p=301272#p301272

Oh man, i wish i logged on to check up sooner!
Oh well, one day i'm sure I'll find one, eh?
Sorry about that, unfortunately I could not send you a message. If I ever see one again I'll let you know!

Jul 13th 19 7:41 am
Posts: 259
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Jul 13th 19 7:41 am

kukicha wrote: This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Kukicha! I have found another one! I’ll give you first dips as you missed out last time. Let me know soon, before I’ll put it up for sale here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24028&p=302559#p302559

Jul 16th 19 4:28 am
Posts: 259
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Jul 16th 19 4:28 am

FBee wrote:
kukicha wrote: This shape here is by far my favorite - i can't find a single decent yixing pot with this shape and lid style, though, and it's killing me. I've been trying to find one all year.
Kukicha! I have found another one! I’ll give you first dips as you missed out last time. Let me know soon, before I’ll put it up for sale here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24028&p=302559#p302559
Up for sale now!

Jul 21st 19 5:13 am
Posts: 23
Joined: Jul 21st 19 4:34 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by Spanky » Jul 21st 19 5:13 am

I am still learning the shapes but so far Shui Ping is my favorite :mrgreen: lOL[/b]

Jul 23rd 19 1:47 am
Posts: 259
Joined: Sep 10th 18 7:09 am

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by FBee » Jul 23rd 19 1:47 am

Spanky wrote: I am still learning the shapes but so far Shui Ping is my favorite :mrgreen: lOL[/b]
To be nit-picky, Shuiping is not a shape in itself, it means water-balanced, which most pots are anyways, as otherwise water would run out... but we all know what you mean :mrgreen:

Jul 23rd 19 8:32 am
Posts: 23
Joined: Jul 21st 19 4:34 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: Favourite Yixing teapot shape

by Spanky » Jul 23rd 19 8:32 am

FBee wrote:
Spanky wrote: I am still learning the shapes but so far Shui Ping is my favorite :mrgreen: lOL[/b]
To be nit-picky, Shuiping is not a shape in itself, it means water-balanced, which most pots are anyways, as otherwise water would run out... but we all know what you mean :mrgreen:
Hi BOK,

What is the name of that shape then? Or si there no name for it??

Also I thought it meant the pot would float and balance in a bowl of water due to good symmetry..