Jul 5th, '14, 23:51

Possible to unseason a Yixing teapot?

by djtanng » Jul 5th, '14, 23:51

If this topic has already been discussed then please link me, because searching here and google gave me nothing.

I have a Yixing teapot that I seasoned with green tea, and now I want to use it for black tea. It hasn't been used much, so it's probably far off from being completely seasoned. Is it possible?

Jul 6th, '14, 00:07

Re: Possible to unseason a Yixing teapot?

by Tead Off » Jul 6th, '14, 00:07

You could start brewing with black tea right away, or if you are a purist, you can submerge the teapot into a pot of water and bring the pot to a boil slowly. Slow boil for maybe 30 minutes. Take out and let cool. You're good to go.

Jul 6th, '14, 23:14

by MarshalN » Jul 6th, '14, 23:14

Don't think it'll really make that much of a difference. I'd just switch it to black tea. The first few times might have a bit of weird green tea flavour to your tea, maybe, but that'll be it.

Jul 7th, '14, 02:27

Possible to unseason a Yixing teapot?

by mcrdotcom » Jul 7th, '14, 02:27

MarshalN wrote:Don't think it'll really make that much of a difference. I'd just switch it to black tea. The first few times might have a bit of weird green tea flavour to your tea, maybe, but that'll be it.
+1

You never know, could be a weird experiment if the green tea comes through on the first black tea session! :P

Jul 18th, '14, 00:34

by kyleshen » Jul 18th, '14, 00:34

This is what antique Yixing collectors do when they got a "new" teapot. Bleach overnight and lots of water later. In your case, maybe denture cleaner is good enough.

Jul 18th, '14, 07:10

by theredbaron » Jul 18th, '14, 07:10

kyleshen wrote:This is what antique Yixing collectors do when they got a "new" teapot. Bleach overnight and lots of water later. In your case, maybe denture cleaner is good enough.

That is what they only do when they get a completely dirty pot that has been over the years exposed to dust and whatever else they don't exactly know.

Nobody does that to use a different tea in a pot that has been kept clean. The most i would do is to steep the pot in the new tea used for a bit, and then drink the new tea straight away. If one wants to be meticulous one may boil the pot, but that has a certain small risk of breakage.
At first there will be, as others have pointed out, a ghost of green tea, which soon will disappear.

+ Post Reply