I just bought a new Yixing teapot...

by Ric » Nov 7th, '06, 18:17

:?: Please anyone, what is the best way to season the Yixing teapot? :?:
In God's Grace,
Ric

Nov 8th, '06, 22:43

by Metal Tiger » Nov 8th, '06, 22:43

Ric,

Seasoning an Yixing tea pot has been the subject of many debates. Each tea master seams to have their own favorite method. The one I use and I am no tea master, is to place the new Yixing clay pot in a clean steel pan with fresh clean cool water. The water should not be tap as there is chlorine in the water but that is another subject. Bring the water to a simmer with the tea pot uncovered and the lid in the water. Let them simmer for about 30 minutes or so and then remove carefully from the hot water. Let cool and then replace in the hot water. Add the tea of choice that you will be using in the clay pot and let sit overnight. In the morning the pot should be useable.

I suggest that you only use one type of tea per Yixing clay pot as this will keep the flavor of the tea best. This is especially true of the subtle teas. I have many Yixing clay pots and have used this method for years with success. Others have suggested to just rinse the clay pot with hot water and then to brew several infusions in the pot discarding them for up to several months before using the pot. This seems like a waste of tea to me so I just use the quick method and it works well for green tea which is fairly fragle in flavor. The oolongs are even easier to break in a pot.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Nov 9th, '06, 03:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Nov 9th, '06, 03:49

it works well for green tea which is fairly fragle in flavor
Green tea in a yixing teapot!!!

I've never heard of someone doing this before - does it yield a noticibly different/better result than a glass or gaiwan?

Nov 9th, '06, 12:37

seasoning teapot

by lebowitz » Nov 9th, '06, 12:37

Make tea in it, I use a yixing for pu erh tea.

Don't mix flavored tea, that would screw up the taste.

Nov 9th, '06, 21:30

Re: I just bought a new Yixing teapot...

by Ric » Nov 9th, '06, 21:30

Thank you all for your replies!

I have chosen to use Darjeeling White teas for my first Yixing tea pot, and I have now (after seasoning the pot) have enjoyed quite a few pots of tea already, and even though it's a very new pot, I have noticed a increase of the taste of the tea, for the better!

Thanks again to all! :)
In God's Grace,
Ric

+ Post Reply