Dec 15th, '16, 09:09

Real Yixing?

by Tyranus » Dec 15th, '16, 09:09

Hello everyone,
I'm here with a humble question for you: do you think this is a real Yixing clay teapot?
It is for sale on a local online shop, but I don't really know what to think about it, as I'm quite a newb about the whole teaware issue.
Can you please help? I appreciate that, and excuse me for my bad English. :wink:
Attachments
rsz_icm_fullxfull106370832_iepnmzuk2vk8kcsc08cg-min-min.jpg
view of teapot
rsz_icm_fullxfull106370832_iepnmzuk2vk8kcsc08cg-min-min.jpg (22.6 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
rsz_2icm_fullxfull106370588_d02lre0x1tkwcc4w488g-min-min.jpg
inside the teapot
rsz_2icm_fullxfull106370588_d02lre0x1tkwcc4w488g-min-min.jpg (33.18 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

Dec 15th, '16, 10:44
Vendor Member

Re: Real Yixing?

by jayinhk » Dec 15th, '16, 10:44

Nowadays the faking of Yixing pots is rampant, but as a beginner, that teapot isn't even something you should consider...not really suitable for making good tea and it's probably crap clay too.

Dec 18th, '16, 13:54

by Tyranus » Dec 18th, '16, 13:54

Thanks for answering, I'll go for something easier on newbies like me.
On this matter, what do you think about "Jin Hei Gang" clay teapots sold by yunnan sourcing? They have good prices and look pretty good as well.
Thanks again for your patience. :)

Dec 18th, '16, 14:55

by victoria3 » Dec 18th, '16, 14:55

Did you see yixing & kyusu Ferg is selling right now on teachat ?

Dec 18th, '16, 16:49

by Tyranus » Dec 18th, '16, 16:49

Yes, saw them, but I need one for young sheng pu erhs, and I think those are a little too small.
Plus I'm writing from Italy, I think the shipping prices would be very high... Anyways, I wrote him by pm ;) thanks

Inviato dal mio MI 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Dec 18th, '16, 17:06

by Ferg » Dec 18th, '16, 17:06

Tyranus wrote:Yes, saw them, but I need one for young sheng pu erhs, and I think those are a little too small.
Plus I'm writing from Italy, I think the shipping prices would be very high... Anyways, I wrote him by pm ;) thanks

Hey, replied to your inquiries Tyranus. Please check your inbox. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks for reaching out (and to Victoria for the shout out! :) )

Dec 18th, '16, 22:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 18th, '16, 22:24

IMO you really don't need Yixing for young sheng pu erh (it's basically green tea), but I do use a 180ml red clay (hongni) shuiping pot for young sheng anyway. The YS pots should be fine, but are modern clay.

Essence of Tea have a bunch of new pots up, but pricey:

https://www.essenceoftea.com/teaware/clay/yixing.html

You can also buy from this seller on eBay. Decent modern pots and good prices:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/lukevecent/m.ht ... pg=&_from=

Dec 19th, '16, 15:03

by Tyranus » Dec 19th, '16, 15:03

Thanks for helping, so you say those teapots from that eBay vendor are just as good as those from YS? Thanks again. :)

Dec 20th, '16, 05:31
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 20th, '16, 05:31

Tyranus wrote:Thanks for helping, so you say those teapots from that eBay vendor are just as good as those from YS? Thanks again. :)

I haven't tried YS' pots, so I can't say! I did use one of the seller's pots earlier today though! :)

Dec 20th, '16, 12:21

by victoria3 » Dec 20th, '16, 12:21

Does anyone know this vendor? The pots look nice generally, like this one;
http://pu-erh.sk/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=161

Jun 10th, '17, 13:25

by alternativenp » Jun 10th, '17, 13:25

I have been using the Jin Hei Gang clay pot for a few months and it's great. Seems to be of good quality. I use mine for sheng puer mainly. For $50, I'm not sure you can match it. I got the 110ml one I believe. My understanding is that the more porous the clay after firing, the better suited towards dark roasted oolongs and puers (especially aged raw and ripe) because the clay imparts more of an "effect" which is helpful for those teas that need softening. Clay that is less porous (more like porcelain) does not impart as much into the tea and is suited for lighter roast oolongs.

Jun 12th, '17, 12:59

by CheekyChipmunk » Jun 12th, '17, 12:59

I have also been using YS pots for quite a while (more than a couple of months). However, I mainly have purchased the red clay pots using the 'da Hong pao' clay. They are pricier, but I think they are actually great value. To my palate, they perform just as well if not better than almost any other pot I use for oolongs, which I have acquired from a range of sources, including EoT among others (the EoT pot I use is a 80/90's F1 hongni).

This clay is also good for preserving the true nature of sheng, it doesn't smooth out the flavours as much as zini but if you are drinking high quality leaf this can actually be a positive IMO, under the right circumstances. Given their price, I also have to say it's very difficult to find something of similar quality in the same price range, at least online.

Sep 4th, '17, 05:12

by Tridentea » Sep 4th, '17, 05:12

Hi

This is my first post. I have been lurking around for few years (bought my first Yi-Xing about 5 or 4 years ago), but only now I decided to register as I have a question about my teapot/set.

So, now I'm going to hijack this thread to ask about my Yi-Xing, as I don't want to start yet another post about identifying a tea pot. I hope that's Ok :).

All what I know about this tea set is, that my friend's father's colleague's father (dead now) has bought this from China (maybe 90's or early 20's) and brought it to Finland. I received it as a wedding gift with my wife. I have used it maybe twice, but I'd rather have some evaluation of it's safety before really using it. Also it has been stored in this box with styrofoam and faux silk lining and developed an interesting smell. I think only boiling would do good.

Some practical details and my own thought about the pot/set:

- Good pots don't come with sets like this, right?
- It's not painted as far as I know (I made a minor scratch on bottom of the pot)
- It pours Ok
- Lid is not perfect fit and it requires rotating to find the exact spot to stop water flow when I keep my finger on the lid hole.
- There are finger prints and scrape marks inside the pot and tools marks outside of the pot (i.e handle)
- Crafmanship looks ok to my eye
- Some what high pitch cling to it
- There is hardly visible mould line
- I can't read chinese, but to me the bottom stamp with its small teapot looks like some tourist stuff.

There is more, but I think this is enough for now. Maybe you guys could determine something out of the photos.

Reason why I'm asking this, is that I would like to either give to some one or scrap it (box takes quite alot of room). If it is of some quality and because of that safe to use, I would pass it on. However, if it's just some tourist crap I'd prefer just to scrap it.

My opinion on it is that it's just a cheap set for tourist's and made out some other than Yi-Xing clay. But who knows...

Your opinion is appreciated!

EDIT: Couldn't add images through tags so attached the most critical ones
Attachments
image6.jpg
Pot itself
image6.jpg (46.39 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
image5.jpg
Whole set
image5.jpg (83.67 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
image.jpg
Bottom stamp
image.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 1637 times