Mar 27th, '17, 21:07

How to determine Yixing capacity

by MmBuddha » Mar 27th, '17, 21:07

Hi teachat,

Forgive the obvious question, but despite reading anything and everything I can about yixing over the past few weeks, I'm still not certain about one basic thing: how does one measure a yixing teapot's capacity?

Now I imagine these things are prone to variance and disagreement to some extent, and I've heard that originally pots were measured in 'cup' multiples of 15ml or so, but in today's Yixing culture, at least on the western internet, ml measurents seem standard based on forums such as this and the vendor websites I've visited, so I just wanted to ask to be sure: what is usually understood to be the standard way to measure a yixing?

Thanks for your help.

Mar 27th, '17, 21:32

Re: How to determine Yixing capacity

by stevorama » Mar 27th, '17, 21:32

Most everything I see online is measured in ml (or cc) and occasionally fluid ounces (for us archaic Americans.) Most measurements I've seen are of the teapot filled to the brim or close to it. There's sometimes variance of 5-10ml.

I can't speak to the older measurements by cups.

Mar 27th, '17, 22:27

by Tead Off » Mar 27th, '17, 22:27

MmBuddha wrote: Hi teachat,

Forgive the obvious question, but despite reading anything and everything I can about yixing over the past few weeks, I'm still not certain about one basic thing: how does one measure a yixing teapot's capacity?

Now I imagine these things are prone to variance and disagreement to some extent, and I've heard that originally pots were measured in 'cup' multiples of 15ml or so, but in today's Yixing culture, at least on the western internet, ml measurents seem standard based on forums such as this and the vendor websites I've visited, so I just wanted to ask to be sure: what is usually understood to be the standard way to measure a yixing?

Thanks for your help.
To be accurate, you will need a gram scale. Put the empty pot without its lid on the scale, set it to zero. Pour in the water up the mouth. The result will be in ml. Easy.

Jun 13th, '17, 03:45

by Bond » Jun 13th, '17, 03:45

Cup measurement varies between China and Taiwan.
If I remember correctly,
China 1 cup = appx 15ml.
Taiwan 1 cup = appx 20ml.

For me, I measure using my kids old milk bottle :D

Jun 14th, '17, 08:36

by tcsmeg » Jun 14th, '17, 08:36

Teapot Capacity is by volume of measurement ml or cc or whatever other means on volume.

But choosing correct size is much depend on how many person you intend to serve.

For 1-2 person it is normally within 200ml. You still could use the 300ml, just add less water and tea.

For 5-6 person, it alway prefer to have a 300ml-400ml.

That is what we normally choose on the pot. At least from our local perspective and practicality.

Jun 19th, '17, 07:30

by Bond » Jun 19th, '17, 07:30

tcsmeg wrote: Teapot Capacity is by volume of measurement ml or cc or whatever other means on volume.

But choosing correct size is much depend on how many person you intend to serve.

For 1-2 person it is normally within 200ml. You still could use the 300ml, just add less water and tea.

For 5-6 person, it alway prefer to have a 300ml-400ml.

That is what we normally choose on the pot. At least from our local perspective and practicality.
The capacity / shape / height / clay of Yixing teapots depend on the type of tea you are brewing. We cannot just gauge base on the number of people drinking. Over-sized / incorrect teapot will affect how the tea is being infused in the teapot. I am a Yan Cha lover and I cap my Yixing teapot at max 120ml. Infact, I usually use 90ml. Even if there are 4 of us drinking which makes only 1 cup per person each round, I just have to make few more rounds to bring out the best favour.

Anyway, these are just for reference, drinking tea is an enjoyable affair, there is no right or wrong. Is up to individual preferences and comfortability. Cheers!

Jun 19th, '17, 07:42

by heliospace » Jun 19th, '17, 07:42

Tead Off wrote:
MmBuddha wrote: Hi teachat,

Thanks for your help.
To be accurate, you will need a gram scale. Put the empty pot without its lid on the scale, set it to zero. Pour in the water up the mouth. The result will be in ml. Easy.
1 gram = 1 mililiter for reference

+ Post Reply