May 6th, '17, 10:45
Posts: 2
Joined: May 6th, '17, 10:38

Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by siddhartha » May 6th, '17, 10:45

Hello tea lovers,

My partner and I are for the first time looking at purchasing teaware online, when in the past we've done all our shopping in physical stores. We are quite enamoured with the selection on yunnansourcing.com

One point of confusion is trying to figure out what size the pots are. They all have measurements in ML, but I don't know what this really means. Can anyone point us to a visual reference guide that matches volume to size? This would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Siddhartha

User avatar
May 6th, '17, 11:35
Posts: 47
Joined: Apr 10th, '17, 10:55
Location: Ottawa (Canada)

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by Senlin » May 6th, '17, 11:35

siddhartha wrote: Hello tea lovers,

My partner and I are for the first time looking at purchasing teaware online, when in the past we've done all our shopping in physical stores. We are quite enamoured with the selection on yunnansourcing.com

One point of confusion is trying to figure out what size the pots are. They all have measurements in ML, but I don't know what this really means. Can anyone point us to a visual reference guide that matches volume to size? This would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Siddhartha
ML for milliliters, I guess... :?:

User avatar
May 6th, '17, 13:11
Posts: 539
Joined: Aug 19th, '15, 07:03
Location: on the road

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by kuánglóng » May 6th, '17, 13:11

Just in case ... you can take some fresh fruits, e.g. at home or in a supermarket, weigh them and their weight in grams would roughly equal (~+-10%) their volume [ml = cm³].

User avatar
May 7th, '17, 01:15
Posts: 1751
Joined: Jul 8th, '09, 23:39
Location: Maui

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by tingjunkie » May 7th, '17, 01:15

Welcome to the forum! I'm not entirely sure what you mean about volume VS size. When buying teaware (especially teapots) volume is probably the most important factor to consider.

If it's just a conversion you need, then 1 oz = 30 ml. So, a 120ml pot = 4 oz, 150ml = 5oz, etc.

If you care about how tall or wide a pot is, the following are some approximations:

40-50ml = golf ball
70-80ml = plum
100ml = tangerine
120ml = small orange
150ml = tennis ball
180-200ml = baseball
300ml = grapefruit

Hope that helps???

If you will be brewing Chinese gongfu style, stay on the small side, as filling a pot with good quality tea can get expensive. For two people, 60-100ml is generally a good range for gongfu. If brewing Japanese sencha, maybe closer to 200-280ml for two people. If brewing western style where you're drinking mugs of tea, then 350-500ml for two people might be good.

May 7th, '17, 11:13
Posts: 671
Joined: Feb 12th, '10, 13:09
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by steanze » May 7th, '17, 11:13

siddhartha wrote: Hello tea lovers,

My partner and I are for the first time looking at purchasing teaware online, when in the past we've done all our shopping in physical stores. We are quite enamoured with the selection on yunnansourcing.com

One point of confusion is trying to figure out what size the pots are. They all have measurements in ML, but I don't know what this really means. Can anyone point us to a visual reference guide that matches volume to size? This would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Siddhartha
If you have a teapot you use and have bought at a physical store, you can weight it empty and then weight it full of water to know how many ml it holds (1ml=1gr). Then, you can relate the size in ml to the size of your pot.

Yunnansourcing is a popular place for beginners, but there are many options: look around! For yixing pots the ebay seller lukevcent is a good starting point for the pots under $100, and above that Essence of Tea is a quite good western source.

May 7th, '17, 16:18
Posts: 2
Joined: May 6th, '17, 10:38

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by siddhartha » May 7th, '17, 16:18

tingjunkie wrote: Welcome to the forum! I'm not entirely sure what you mean about volume VS size. When buying teaware (especially teapots) volume is probably the most important factor to consider.

If it's just a conversion you need, then 1 oz = 30 ml. So, a 120ml pot = 4 oz, 150ml = 5oz, etc.

If you care about how tall or wide a pot is, the following are some approximations:

40-50ml = golf ball
70-80ml = plum
100ml = tangerine
120ml = small orange
150ml = tennis ball
180-200ml = baseball
300ml = grapefruit

Hope that helps???

If you will be brewing Chinese gongfu style, stay on the small side, as filling a pot with good quality tea can get expensive. For two people, 60-100ml is generally a good range for gongfu. If brewing Japanese sencha, maybe closer to 200-280ml for two people. If brewing western style where you're drinking mugs of tea, then 350-500ml for two people might be good.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

User avatar
May 8th, '17, 08:03
Posts: 116
Joined: May 26th, '15, 09:22

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by Psyck » May 8th, '17, 08:03

I have never seen a golf ball or a baseball before, so that guide was helpful for me to know their sizes :)

User avatar
May 8th, '17, 08:07
Vendor Member
Posts: 3110
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by jayinhk » May 8th, '17, 08:07

Psyck wrote: I have never seen a golf ball or a baseball before, so that guide was helpful for me to know their sizes :)
Wow! You're more familiar with teapot sizes than golf balls and baseballs! I guess baseballs are a pretty rare sight in India though. I've certainly never seen one there! Lots of very hard cricket balls though!
Last edited by jayinhk on May 11th, '17, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, '17, 15:22
Posts: 130
Joined: Dec 1st, '10, 22:53
Location: CA

Re: Tea Pot Size Visual Reference

by Zared » May 8th, '17, 15:22

If the compacity is listed that I don't see why you need a visual reference for size. Buy a ml measuring cup and measure out listed size with water and see if that's too much. If you already have cups than you can pour into those to see how many you get each infusion. The only time having a visual reference matters is when your unsure of size looking at it or online seller only list dimensions.

+ Post Reply