User avatar
May 15th, '17, 02:55
Vendor Member
Posts: 3112
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Went to London today!!!

by jayinhk » May 15th, '17, 02:55

Bok wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Bok wrote: Guys… do you see the pattern here?
If you want to find real vintage or even antique Chinese teaware, forget Asia head to Europe!
More specifically the ones with former Chinese colonial exploits or trading connections, e.g. UK, Netherlands etc.

In Asia you will mostly find fakes and if it is the real thing, you won’t be able to outbid the wealthy Chinese as they have a better cashflow :mrgreen: They are also much longer in the hunting game and probably ten steps ahead in finding the good stuff.

Found myself some nice little antique cups on the UK ebay while still there. Also more chance to stumble upon something of worth the seller might not be aware of.

Happy hunting!
I wish you hadn't posted that! Now there will be more competition on eBay! :lol:
Sorry mate… but it seems that most teachatters are US-based anyways and I am not sure you can bid on those items/if the postage is makes it still worthwhile…

I’ll keep the other secrets to my/ourself :mrgreen:
I wanted to go looking in London, but was busy doing other touristy stuff (mostly revolving around beer and food). Ah well, next time for sure!

May 15th, '17, 03:02
Posts: 724
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43

Re: Went to London today!!!

by Bok » May 15th, '17, 03:02

jayinhk wrote: I wanted to go looking in London, but was busy doing other touristy stuff (mostly revolving around beer and food). Ah well, next time for sure!
Just don’t think to hunt for tea there, nothing good to be found for the educated palate… unless you want to go down and dirty for a builder’s tea in a greasy spoon – that’s a more authentic experience! But then, you might find it strangely familiar as it is not too far from a HK milk tea à la Tsuen Wan :)

User avatar
May 15th, '17, 03:30
Vendor Member
Posts: 3112
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Went to London today!!!

by jayinhk » May 15th, '17, 03:30

Bok wrote:
jayinhk wrote: I wanted to go looking in London, but was busy doing other touristy stuff (mostly revolving around beer and food). Ah well, next time for sure!
Just don’t think to hunt for tea there, nothing good to be found for the educated palate… unless you want to go down and dirty for a builder’s tea in a greasy spoon – that’s a more authentic experience! But then, you might find it strangely familiar as it is not too far from a HK milk tea à la Tsuen Wan :)
I had a pretty decent cup of black tea at a greasy spoon in East London (sans milk, I'm lactose intolerant)! HK milk tea is pretty different, though. Evaporated milk and they use a VERY strong base and then dilute it down with all milk! Instant runs! :D

User avatar
May 15th, '17, 03:57
Posts: 308
Joined: Mar 25th, '17, 16:15

Re: Went to London today!!!

by williammimi70 » May 15th, '17, 03:57

I think in certain parts of London there are very high class antique shops that you can find genuine antique Chinese porcelains and yixing although the prices have gone up recently due to the high profile sales at Christie's , Bonham etc

User avatar
May 16th, '17, 11:18
Posts: 594
Joined: Dec 13th, '10, 14:04
Location: Seattle
Contact: hopeofdawn

Re: Went to London today!!!

by hopeofdawn » May 16th, '17, 11:18

The underglaze details on that porcelain pot are just beautiful!

User avatar
May 18th, '17, 07:05
Posts: 308
Joined: Mar 25th, '17, 16:15

Re: Went to London today!!!

by williammimi70 » May 18th, '17, 07:05

hopeofdawn wrote: The underglaze details on that porcelain pot are just beautiful!
Thank you :D

+ Post Reply