User avatar
May 14th 17 8:22 am
Posts: 313
Joined: Mar 25th 17 8:15 pm

Antique chinese clay teapot?

by williammimi70 » May 14th 17 8:22 am

I know in collecting antique Chinese porcelain the last thing you would use to authenticate an item is the mark however I wonder if we could make a case for this teapot simply on its mark
In the late 19th century the American made it a requirement that all imported goods to America must have mark to say where they came from hence there were Chinese porcelain of this period were stamped with Made in China ; some were stamped "foreign".Chinese porcelain collectors look at these ( obviously with other attributes) to date an item to this period
The reason I think we could use the stamp mark on this teapot to assign it to be real and of that period is simply because as far as I know fakes and reproduced Yixing ,Chao zhou etc are stamped with Chinese characters rather than with English letters.
What do you think? Are there any CR and post CR teapots stamped this way at all
Your opinions would be gratefully appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
May 14th 17 8:39 am
Posts: 313
Joined: Mar 25th 17 8:15 pm

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by williammimi70 » May 14th 17 8:39 am

Close ups
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
May 14th 17 8:51 am
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by kyarazen » May 14th 17 8:51 am

looks nixing :D

User avatar
May 14th 17 8:55 am
Posts: 313
Joined: Mar 25th 17 8:15 pm

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by williammimi70 » May 14th 17 8:55 am

kyarazen wrote: looks nixing :D
Thank you very much
Have you come across modern teapot with this stamp at all?
Am I being delusional thinking that it is old/antique

May 17th 17 10:13 pm
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 8th 16 5:30 am

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by ricegeek » May 17th 17 10:13 pm

williammimi70 wrote:
kyarazen wrote: looks nixing :D
Thank you very much
Have you come across modern teapot with this stamp at all?
Am I being delusional thinking that it is old/antique
I have seen some late qing, early ROC "made in china" stamps you mentioned, but my guess this is not one of those. And I think I have seen those "made in china" stamps on porcelain only, not on yixings. For various reasons, this doesn't look like yixing to me, and probably not antique.

User avatar
May 18th 17 5:28 am
Posts: 313
Joined: Mar 25th 17 8:15 pm

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by williammimi70 » May 18th 17 5:28 am

ricegeek wrote:
williammimi70 wrote:
kyarazen wrote: looks nixing :D
Thank you very much
Have you come across modern teapot with this stamp at all?
Am I being delusional thinking that it is old/antique
I have seen some late qing, early ROC "made in china" stamps you mentioned, but my guess this is not one of those. And I think I have seen those "made in china" stamps on porcelain only, not on yixings. For various reasons, this doesn't look like yixing to me, and probably not antique.
Thank you
I did not think that it is Yixing
I was hoping that it might be antique/ old :oops:

User avatar
May 29th 17 12:38 am
Posts: 125
Joined: Sep 30th 12 2:05 am

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by heliospace » May 29th 17 12:38 am

Many roc yixing export to USA simply stamped CHINA on all pieces if a set which was typical.

User avatar
May 29th 17 1:09 am
Posts: 125
Joined: Sep 30th 12 2:05 am

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by heliospace » May 29th 17 1:09 am

heliospace wrote: Many roc yixing export to USA simply stamped CHINA on all pieces if a set which was typical.
The stamps were of black and or red ink. Some sets used two colors because you'd get nei ci wai zi cups that have black CHINA stamp along with red clay pot stamped with RED CHINA stamp. I do believe I have seen these stamps are now added to some fakes, but not very well done if I recall correctly.

User avatar
May 29th 17 1:15 am
Posts: 125
Joined: Sep 30th 12 2:05 am

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by heliospace » May 29th 17 1:15 am

Some other distinguishable ROC stamping. They also stamped yixing with MADE IN CHINA ink stamp, although I've only seen this ever be done in red ink, but certainly likely they have used black as well. And sometimes, instead of a potter seal, ROC yixing may be stamped with a rectangle and CHINA in the center, impressed into the clay on bottom of pot.

User avatar
May 29th 17 11:00 am
Posts: 313
Joined: Mar 25th 17 8:15 pm

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by williammimi70 » May 29th 17 11:00 am

Thank you everyone
I have China and made in China stamp with overglazed red stamp on ROC porcelains and in some they stamped directly onto porcelains the mark
I am not so sure if I have seen this "impressed mark" on yixing and wonder if this is a modern invention

May 29th 17 1:51 pm
Posts: 31
Joined: Apr 20th 17 11:35 am

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by tcsmeg » May 29th 17 1:51 pm

williammimi70 wrote: Thank you everyone
I have China and made in China stamp with overglazed red stamp on ROC porcelains and in some they stamped directly onto porcelains the mark
I am not so sure if I have seen this "impressed mark" on yixing and wonder if this is a modern invention
On my understanding, old teapot would not have a perforator for tea leaf seeping. The chinese people would probably not allow the tea least to be soaked under hot water for a long time. Also, there seem have wheel spinning marks; it is again traditional way of teapot hand crafting.
So I don't think it is a old teapot.

User avatar
May 30th 17 7:57 pm
Posts: 125
Joined: Sep 30th 12 2:05 am

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by heliospace » May 30th 17 7:57 pm

williammimi70 wrote: Thank you everyone
I have China and made in China stamp with overglazed red stamp on ROC porcelains and in some they stamped directly onto porcelains the mark
I am not so sure if I have seen this "impressed mark" on yixing and wonder if this is a modern invention
Is not modern invention. I have personally not seen it on any modern wares--just old--unlike the ink stamps. But could very well end up or be on modern somewhere 😀😀😀

User avatar
Jun 1st 17 7:28 am
Posts: 313
Joined: Mar 25th 17 8:15 pm

Re: Antique chinese clay teapot?

by williammimi70 » Jun 1st 17 7:28 am

Thank you everyone for your advice
Have a good day :D