Jul 6th, '17, 05:14

Teapot or not

by Xeractha » Jul 6th, '17, 05:14

Hi!

I've got around 60 bucks to spend (not much, I know) and I still don't have any Yixing pot.
Is it worth buying a teapot around this price? Should I just buy more tea and buy a pot later when I can spend way more?
To be honest I don't even know what I'd use it for. Shu or sheng... I consume almost the same amount of them, though I have a feeling sheng would go better with a yixing pot.

Yunnansourcing sells large pots only around this price. I'd prefer something between 70-80ml and dark coloured. Chawangshop had something like this for 78 USD but it's out of stock and budget (with shipping + taxes it would cost 115 USD). So that basically answers my question. I should way till It's restocked and I can spend more.

Jul 6th, '17, 09:01

Re: Teapot or not

by chrl42 » Jul 6th, '17, 09:01

Xeractha wrote: Hi!

I've got around 60 bucks to spend (not much, I know) and I still don't have any Yixing pot.
Is it worth buying a teapot around this price? Should I just buy more tea and buy a pot later when I can spend way more?
To be honest I don't even know what I'd use it for. Shu or sheng... I consume almost the same amount of them, though I have a feeling sheng would go better with a yixing pot.

Yunnansourcing sells large pots only around this price. I'd prefer something between 70-80ml and dark coloured. Chawangshop had something like this for 78 USD but it's out of stock and budget (with shipping + taxes it would cost 115 USD). So that basically answers my question. I should way till It's restocked and I can spend more.
60 bucks can buy an ok Yixing if you have a keen sense..or have a vast data collected from vendors in a long term period..

but if you just go out there 'to spend 60 bucks' to buy a Yixing..it could end up with a miserable result....gotta look a lot and study a lot! :)

Jul 6th, '17, 09:08

by Psyck » Jul 6th, '17, 09:08

You can go for a cheaper pot around your current budget for shu now and wait longer to spend double that on a better quality one for sheng.

Ebay vendor lukevcent is another place you could look at for pots, I never bought there but it has been recommended on this forum.

Jul 6th, '17, 11:22

by stevorama » Jul 6th, '17, 11:22

You could stay in budget by going with the vendor that Psyck mentioned. There's a pot from that vendor on Tea Swap right now under "OFFER: excess teaware for sale ." It's larger than the size you mentioned, but in my opinion a good size for brewing shu puer. But then I prefer pots 110ml or larger generally. My opinion is if your budget is low then spend it on a shu puer teapot as that tea is less demanding to brew than sheng. And buy something you like rather than just something you can afford.

Jul 6th, '17, 12:44

by Xeractha » Jul 6th, '17, 12:44

stevorama wrote: You could stay in budget by going with the vendor that Psyck mentioned. There's a pot from that vendor on Tea Swap right now under "OFFER: excess teaware for sale ." It's larger than the size you mentioned, but in my opinion a good size for brewing shu puer. But then I prefer pots 110ml or larger generally. My opinion is if your budget is low then spend it on a shu puer teapot as that tea is less demanding to brew than sheng. And buy something you like rather than just something you can afford.
Buying from the USA would double the cost automatically. :D I've used 80, 100, 130ml gaiwans so far and I prefer the smaller size. Well, anything below 100ml would be good for me probably.
It seems higher priced (quality) teapot is preferable for sheng. I think I'll wait then (though I like that little ball shaped pot at Luke's store). It just happened that I had some extra but not much money so I thought I'd ask about this price range first.

In the meantime I had brewed up bancha for my father and it seemed he liked it. Probably, I should use this money to buy a larger kyusu so I can share jap greens with him.

+ Post Reply