Oct 9th, '17, 08:06

Recommendations please: clay teapot for a variety of greens

by MTHall720 » Oct 9th, '17, 08:06

I have had ceramic, glass, cast iron, teapots but like the idea of clay. What I want to do may not be a good idea so let me know what you think. The teas I drink most often are sencha, bancha, and japanese tea with a good degree of sweetness, with less grassy notes. I also drink some Oolong, white, and once in awhile jasmine green.
Is there a Japanese or Chinese unglazed teapot that would be ok for all of the above teas?
Thanks much

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Oct 10th, '17, 01:59

Re: Recommendations please: clay teapot for a variety of greens

by steanze » Oct 10th, '17, 01:59

MTHall720 wrote: I have had ceramic, glass, cast iron, teapots but like the idea of clay. What I want to do may not be a good idea so let me know what you think. The teas I drink most often are sencha, bancha, and japanese tea with a good degree of sweetness, with less grassy notes. I also drink some Oolong, white, and once in awhile jasmine green.
Is there a Japanese or Chinese unglazed teapot that would be ok for all of the above teas?
Thanks much

I'd get a kyusu for the japanese greens and stick with a porcelain gaiwan for the Chinese teas

Oct 10th, '17, 02:00

by steanze » Oct 10th, '17, 02:00

MTHall720 wrote: I have had ceramic, glass, cast iron, teapots but like the idea of clay. What I want to do may not be a good idea so let me know what you think. The teas I drink most often are sencha, bancha, and japanese tea with a good degree of sweetness, with less grassy notes. I also drink some Oolong, white, and once in awhile jasmine green.
Thanks much

I'd get a kyusu for the japanese greens and stick with a porcelain gaiwan for the Chinese teas

Oct 10th, '17, 14:35

Re: RE: Re: Recommendations please: clay teapot for a variety of greens

by MTHall720 » Oct 10th, '17, 14:35

steanze wrote:
Thanks much

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Oct 21st, '17, 11:18

by daohaanh1988 » Oct 21st, '17, 11:18

I think for Japanese teas, they should go along well with japanese teapot, an cast iron pot. Though for me I use porcelain and glass pot.
With green chinese teas, I prefer porcelain gaiwan.
With oolong, I use clay. I don't know why but from my experience, I use a dahongpao red clay for tieguanyin, and a more porous red clay for rock mountain oolong. They give me the best tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 6th, '17, 02:14

by DongbeiRenr » Nov 6th, '17, 02:14

I would not recommend Yixing for green teas. I think a tall glass vessel works best in my experience.

Nov 6th, '17, 05:21

by John Sung » Nov 6th, '17, 05:21

I use Hario glass teapot for brewing green tea. The taste seems nice but I don't have much experience with any other brewing method or teapot. What I heard is the temperature is important and glass or porcelain works better for green tea.

+ Post Reply