Oct 29th, '17, 12:25
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Oct 29th, '17, 12:25

Hi there, I just purchased this at an estate sale. Does anyone have any info? Has a cute little ring charm on lid handle
tea1.jpg
tea1.jpg (136.55 KiB) Viewed 632 times
tea6.jpg
tea6.jpg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 632 times
tea4.jpg
tea4.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 632 times

Oct 29th, '17, 16:20
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 24th, '17, 14:30
Location: Finland

Re: Asian teapot info?

by Redswam » Oct 29th, '17, 16:20

Looks pretty! Sorry, I'm pretty new to tea world, but I hope someone will answer you soon :)

Oct 29th, '17, 16:47
Posts: 26
Joined: Oct 24th, '17, 12:41

Re: Asian teapot info?

by 12Tea » Oct 29th, '17, 16:47

lolodrew wrote: Hi there, I just purchased this at an estate sale. Does anyone have any info? Has a cute little ring charm on lid handle
tea1.jpgtea6.jpgtea4.jpg
It's a Yixing clay teapot. "Yixing" refers to a city in China where this clay is originated from. You can read some info here about Yixing teapots: https://www.teasenz.com/chinese-tea/yix ... tures.html

Oct 29th, '17, 19:56
Posts: 10
Joined: Oct 15th, '17, 06:55

Re: Asian teapot info?

by NanoCrazed » Oct 29th, '17, 19:56

Whatever you do, don't wash the pot with soap. Just water, a soft toothbrush, and then boil in hot water for 30 - 60 mins. Suggest using a foldable steamer rack at bottoms to prevent the boiling water from knocking the pieces together... like one the pic below.

There are lots of recipes/ideas for seasoning a newly acquired pot. Look around and decided what fits for you...
Attachments
SmartSelectImage_2017-10-29-16-55-26.jpg
SmartSelectImage_2017-10-29-16-55-26.jpg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 581 times

User avatar
Oct 30th, '17, 05:27
Vendor Member
Posts: 3109
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Asian teapot info?

by jayinhk » Oct 30th, '17, 05:27

Do not use, fake pot

Oct 30th, '17, 07:41
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 24th, '17, 14:30
Location: Finland

Re: Asian teapot info?

by Redswam » Oct 30th, '17, 07:41

jayinhk wrote: Do not use, fake pot
How can you tell? I'm interested to know

Oct 30th, '17, 11:00
Posts: 130
Joined: Dec 1st, '10, 22:53
Location: CA

Re: Asian teapot info?

by Zared » Oct 30th, '17, 11:00

jayinhk wrote: Do not use, fake pot
Going by the clay and style of bottom mark I'd say it looks possible R.O.C. period. Photos aren't high resolution enough to tell for sure though. Something about the holes on filter basket seem a bit off to me but than again I'm not entirely sure if that hole configuration was used during that period. They look a little too nicely done compared to other antique pots I've seen.

Oct 30th, '17, 11:16
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Re: Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Oct 30th, '17, 11:16

Redswam wrote: Looks pretty! Sorry, I'm pretty new to tea world, but I hope someone will answer you soon :)

Thank you!

Oct 30th, '17, 11:16
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Re: Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Oct 30th, '17, 11:16

12Tea wrote:
lolodrew wrote: Hi there, I just purchased this at an estate sale. Does anyone have any info? Has a cute little ring charm on lid handle
tea1.jpgtea6.jpgtea4.jpg
It's a Yixing clay teapot. "Yixing" refers to a city in China where this clay is originated from. You can read some info here about Yixing teapots: https://www.teasenz.com/chinese-tea/yix ... tures.html
Thank you for the info :)

Oct 30th, '17, 11:18
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Re: Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Oct 30th, '17, 11:18

Zared wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Do not use, fake pot
Going by the clay and style of bottom mark I'd say it looks possible R.O.C. period. Photos aren't high resolution enough to tell for sure though. Something about the holes on filter basket seem a bit off to me but than again I'm not entirely sure if that hole configuration was used during that period. They look a little too nicely done compared to other antique pots I've seen.
Thanks for the info. Do you what the little ring charm is for?

User avatar
Nov 3rd, '17, 14:04
Vendor Member
Posts: 3109
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Asian teapot info?

by jayinhk » Nov 3rd, '17, 14:04

Put boiling water through it and let us know what it smells like! :)

Nov 6th, '17, 11:32
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Re: Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Nov 6th, '17, 11:32

jayinhk wrote: Put boiling water through it and let us know what it smells like! :)
Hey there! It smells like minerals (dirt) I think ?

Nov 6th, '17, 14:06
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Re: Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Nov 6th, '17, 14:06

lolodrew wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Put boiling water through it and let us know what it smells like! :)
Hey there! It smells like minerals (dirt) I think ?

User avatar
Nov 7th, '17, 06:21
Vendor Member
Posts: 3109
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Asian teapot info?

by jayinhk » Nov 7th, '17, 06:21

lolodrew wrote:
lolodrew wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Put boiling water through it and let us know what it smells like! :)
Hey there! It smells like minerals (dirt) I think ?
Sounds good to me!

If you haven't already, don't boil the pot. I suggest scrubbing it inside and out with bleach, and then making tea with it a few times.

Nov 7th, '17, 18:22
Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 29th, '17, 11:38

Re: Asian teapot info?

by lolodrew » Nov 7th, '17, 18:22

jayinhk wrote:
lolodrew wrote:
lolodrew wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Put boiling water through it and let us know what it smells like! :)
Hey there! It smells like minerals (dirt) I think ?
Sounds good to me!

If you haven't already, don't boil the pot. I suggest scrubbing it inside and out with bleach, and then making tea with it a few times.
Thank you Jayinhk for all of the info!

+ Post Reply