Oct 30th, '17, 09:03

New yixing pot

by Redswam » Oct 30th, '17, 09:03

I got a yixing tea pot, it's the first one I've ever had. I read that I should season it before use, so I googled that up. I found couple of different tutorials. All this new information is pretty overwhelming though.... What are the most important things to keep in mind?

Oct 30th, '17, 14:16

Re: New yixing pot

by mael » Oct 30th, '17, 14:16

Redswam wrote: I got a yixing tea pot, it's the first one I've ever had. I read that I should season it before use, so I googled that up. I found couple of different tutorials. All this new information is pretty overwhelming though.... What are the most important things to keep in mind?
You don't really need to season your new pot, it will season with use over time. But before using it you should make sure the pot is clean and safe to use. I wash my pot with boiled water before and after using it.

Apr 19th, '18, 10:22

Re: RE: New yixing pot

by imkvn » Apr 19th, '18, 10:22

Redswam wrote:I got a yixing tea pot, it's the first one I've ever had. I read that I should season it before use, so I googled that up. I found couple of different tutorials. All this new information is pretty overwhelming though.... What are the most important things to keep in mind?
Not really needed, but if you do. Wash it out with water. If it was used you need to get a toothbrush and scrub the inside gently to get the pores open. Boil some water gently bring the temperature of the pot up. If you don't you may shock the clay and crack your pot. Your pot is now semi clean.

Now there's different ways of seasoning. I do it this way. Brew the tea with the same pot your going to use. One type of tea per pot. Pour the tea into a glass bowl or a ceramic container big enough to cover the pot.

Ceramic and glass are least reactive and have little to no taste from them. Glass is better.

Set the pot in the tea and leave it in for 3 to 4 hours. Then change out the tea and leave the pot in it again for another 3 to 4 hours. Remember to remove the all leaves before you leave the pot In. This is important because you will get the bitterness of the over steep leaves into your new pot.

Reason for this tea will oxidize and change color and taste after couple hours.

After 8 through 10 hours it's newly seasoned and shouldn't absorb so much flavor. Will still need another 30 steeps to mature a bit. Give or take because each pot is different.

Use a microfiber cloth to pat the outside of the pot. Depending on the pot different cloth towels can be used. Patting will help put with the color and sheen. Rubbing will remove undesirable spots. Better to pat down than rub.

I usually don't use this proccess much because of time and waste good tea. Most people just clean it out then use it. After time it'll season. This is the preferred way. Less risk of cracking and damage to the pot.

Seasoning let's you enjoy your tea at its full potential faster. The patina will come little quicker.

There's other ways of seasoning but probably won't produce much advantages.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply