Nov 27th, '17, 20:26

A nice pot on Amazon? Could it be?

by ShuShu » Nov 27th, '17, 20:26

Hi,
I'm quite a beginner. But someone with more knowledge has pointed out to me this guy's pot now on Amazon.
What do you think? Does it make sense?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XW ... UTF8&psc=1

And also this one....

https://www.amazon.com/Yixing-Teapot-Ye ... VR2HMCS1TS

Nov 30th, '17, 18:22

Re: A nice pot on Amazon? Could it be?

by ShuShu » Nov 30th, '17, 18:22

Would be grateful for any advise on whether this looks credible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 30th, '17, 18:46

by Senlin » Nov 30th, '17, 18:46

ShuShu wrote: Would be grateful for any advise on whether this looks credible

Nope, it is not... I highly doubt that such teapots would be sold for less than 10% the price people usually pay for them.

Nov 30th, '17, 18:54

by ShuShu » Nov 30th, '17, 18:54

Thanks.
Forgot to mention that it comes with this certificate (if it matters).[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201711 ... 683fd4.jpg[/IMG]

Nov 30th, '17, 19:33

by ShuShu » Nov 30th, '17, 19:33

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201711 ... 683fd4.jpg

Nov 30th, '17, 21:01

by Senlin » Nov 30th, '17, 21:01

ShuShu wrote: Thanks.
Forgot to mention that it comes with this certificate (if it matters).
Sorry to disappoint you, but the potter certificates I worked with don't look like that at all... I may be wrong, for I unfortunately don't speak nor can read Chinese (yet), but it really looks fake to me. :?

Nov 30th, '17, 22:50

by Zared » Nov 30th, '17, 22:50

Is there a special database you can check to verify its legit? Any thing on the pot to confirm it matches that paper? If not then that pretty much tells us they're absolutely useless even if they're "real". It's not that different then buying a used Rolex watch just because seller gives you a legit receipt.

Nov 30th, '17, 23:33

by steanze » Nov 30th, '17, 23:33

The certificate does not matter. The pot looks so so... not blatantly chemical, but not worth it imo. I recommend using a gaiwan until you can get yourself a pot with quite good clay. Also, what tea do you want to brew? That will have implications for the kind of pot you want to look for :)

Dec 1st, '17, 06:08

by Aya » Dec 1st, '17, 06:08

That paper is not a certificate of the potter, it just says certificate of collection...
Many Yixing potters issue certificate with their signature and in many cases the photo of the potter together with his pot (such as this one) to increase the credibility of the certificate. However, I've heard that even such certificates don't really mean those pots are 100% genuine. Sometimes the master have one of his/her apprentice make the pot, and sign the certificate...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/160339509 ... 888823188/

So the best way to judge the pot is to see the clay, shape, how it's burned (high-fired, mid-fired etc.), lid fit etc. As I did and still am doing, many new Yixing lovers end up buying a lot of "tuition pots".

I know it sounds so stressful and complicated, but it takes time and practice. Fortunately there are many knowledgeable people in this forum, and a lot of useful and interesting posts.

Dec 1st, '17, 07:06

by ShuShu » Dec 1st, '17, 07:06

steanze wrote: The certificate does not matter. The pot looks so so... not blatantly chemical, but not worth it imo. I recommend using a gaiwan until you can get yourself a pot with quite good clay. Also, what tea do you want to brew? That will have implications for the kind of pot you want to look for :)
Thank you. It is basically for ripe puerh.
I added a few pics if you have the time to take a look. I guess its Ok if it is not the best quality the question is whether it is zisha or not.
They sell pretty expensive pots there and guarantee free returns. What is it that raise your doubts?
Besides, you know, its not just the "tuition pots" thing. If this is fake then this is a serious misrepresentation of information. I can report this to Amazon to query...

Here are the pics

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 091974.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0acf42.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0e90f1.jpg

lid

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0aaee3.jpg

Dec 1st, '17, 18:47

by steanze » Dec 1st, '17, 18:47

ShuShu wrote:
steanze wrote: The certificate does not matter. The pot looks so so... not blatantly chemical, but not worth it imo. I recommend using a gaiwan until you can get yourself a pot with quite good clay. Also, what tea do you want to brew? That will have implications for the kind of pot you want to look for :)
I added a few pics if you have the time to take a look. I guess its Ok if it is not the best quality the question is whether it is zisha or not.
They sell pretty expensive pots there and guarantee free returns. What is it that raise your doubts?
Looks like modern hongni. For shu I'd pick a zini pot because it can do a better job at reducing the wodui notes. I'd suggets to try the modern hongni with middle-aged sheng or with dong ding :)
Also, I've seen terrible pots sold for high prices. I've even seen fakes on sale for over $1000. Never use price as an indicator of the quality of a pot.

Dec 1st, '17, 20:02

by Senlin » Dec 1st, '17, 20:02

ShuShu wrote:
Besides, you know, its not just the "tuition pots" thing. If this is fake then this is a serious misrepresentation of information. I can report this to Amazon to query...

Here are the pics

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 091974.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0acf42.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0e90f1.jpg

lid

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0aaee3.jpg
Just as a remark, the potter seal of this teapot is the same than the first one you saw on Amazon. I don't say it means anything, for this teapot seems to be a good ChaoZhou teapot (I would use it for PuEr myself), but it could be interesting to compare prices and provenance.

Senlin

+ Post Reply