Dec 4th, '17, 17:51

1980 vs modern

by ShuShu » Dec 4th, '17, 17:51

I know that more information is necessary, but would you agree that as a general rule of thumb, a 1980s yixing (I think zhuni), as such, is much more likely to be better in terms of quality than any modern pot?

And, if so, why?
Is it simply that good clay was more available then? Less fake stuff we’re around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ShuShu on Dec 4th, '17, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Dec 4th, '17, 20:49

Re: 1980 vs modern

by Zared » Dec 4th, '17, 20:49

ShuShu wrote: I know that more information is necessary, but would you agree that as a general rule of thumb, a 1980s yixing (I think zhuni), as such, is much more likely to be better in terms of quality than any modern pot?

And, if so, why?
Is it simply that good clay was more available then? Less fake stuff we’re around?

F1 80's is generally better. They were officiall factory of China so they had control of best clays. Other factories can be hit of miss. Craftsmanship will be a bit rougher but the clay is typically better. Cost should be $80-200. Most new pots I've seen in that range have better craftsmanship but clay isn't comparable.

Also as far as I know F1 never made zhuni pots. 80-modern zhuni isn't the same stuff that made it so famous either. Its pretty easy to overpay for it so I'd suggest asking around for good recommendations before buying one.

Dec 4th, '17, 21:17

by ShuShu » Dec 4th, '17, 21:17

Zared wrote:
ShuShu wrote: I know that more information is necessary, but would you agree that as a general rule of thumb, a 1980s yixing (I think zhuni), as such, is much more likely to be better in terms of quality than any modern pot?

And, if so, why?

F1 80's is generally better. They were officiall factory of China so they had control of best clays. Other factories can be hit of miss. Craftsmanship will be a bit rougher but the clay is typically better. Cost should be $80-200. Most new pots I've seen in that range have better craftsmanship but clay isn't comparable.

Also as far as I know F1 never made zhuni pots. 80-modern zhuni isn't the same stuff that made it so famous either. Its pretty easy to overpay for it so I'd suggest asking around for good recommendations before buying one.

Thanks, Zared. This is really helpful. I'm specifically talking about this guy. Do you think it worth it (its size is obviously one disadvantage)

https://store.thechineseteashop.com/Yix ... 0r-023.htm

Dec 5th, '17, 01:07

by Zared » Dec 5th, '17, 01:07

ShuShu wrote:
Zared wrote:

And, if so, why?

Thanks, Zared. This is really helpful. I'm specifically talking about this guy. Do you think it worth it (its size is obviously one disadvantage)

It depends on what tea you plan to brew with it. It's listed as density level 5 so it's prob porous med fired clay. Good for bitter/funky storage puerh. Might be a decent first pot since It's inexpensive but less so if you already have one. It's worth spending a little more on an authentic late 80's F1 instead. Size is really important too so don't buy it if too big.

Imho this isnt a pot i'd personally consider unless it was the right size for me and I knew it'd get used often. It just doesn't have the collection value for justifying purchasing otherwise. I've owned a bunch of cheaper pots like this in the past and would have rather just purchased 1 nicer pot instead of 5. The only pot I still have from those early purchases and still use is a late 80's F1 hong ni.

Dec 5th, '17, 10:45

by steanze » Dec 5th, '17, 10:45

ShuShu wrote:

There aren't enough pictures to evaluate the pot you linked, but based on the price it should be a replica. There are lots of replicas of that pot. The pot is probably qingshuini, a type of zini.
As Zared said, F1 did not make zhuni pot. Not all F1 clays are better than modern clays. It much depends on the modern clay. However, F1 clays are better than most modern pots available on the Western market. To get a comparable modern pot you'd need to know the Chinese market and pay quite a bit more. According to some people in Yixing I spoke to, that is because despite F1 pots were mass produced, the numbers were still lower than the current production. So now those clays are only used for higher end pots made by skilled Craftsmen, and you do have to pay for the level of craftsmanship too.

Dec 5th, '17, 10:51

by ShuShu » Dec 5th, '17, 10:51

steanze wrote:

Thank you for the information steanze.
Its a hard to find a proper F1 around 100$ and in the right size. Thank you for helping me avoid mistakes.

Dec 5th, '17, 12:58

by Zared » Dec 5th, '17, 12:58

ShuShu wrote:
steanze wrote:

Thank you for the information steanze.
Its a hard to find a proper F1 around 100$ and in the right size. Thank you for helping me avoid mistakes.
Post WTB in the swap section and list size, shape and tea use your looking for. Someone might have one they getting rid of.

Dec 5th, '17, 23:27

by bagua7 » Dec 5th, '17, 23:27

Focus on good tea (and water) rather than pots.

An old pot is not going to brew better tea than a new one...significantly.

I wouldn’t waste my time chasing ‘ghosts.’

Dec 6th, '17, 07:48

by ShuShu » Dec 6th, '17, 07:48

bagua7 wrote: Focus on good tea (and water) rather than pots.

Of course, the tea is more important. But in some sense, I feel that a teapot is like a car. You buy very few in your life. When you do buy one you want it to be a good one and one that makes you happy, even though a car that makes you less happy will do its "job" just as good.. don't you think?
At any rate, now that I got one, off I go to the "Official Pu of the Day" topic :wink:

Dec 7th, '17, 01:09

by bagua7 » Dec 7th, '17, 01:09

Certainly, but buying a old pot today better off going to Malaysia and Taiwan with a local who is in the know. Good luck though.

Dec 8th, '17, 21:57

by Zared » Dec 8th, '17, 21:57

bagua7 wrote: Certainly, but buying a old pot today better off going to Malaysia and Taiwan with a local who is in the know. Good luck though.
Same thing can apply to good tea. But not everyone has the ability to take an expensive flight to Asian just so they can pick up tea stuff. The power of the internet has opened doors for a lot of us in the west though. Also if you have access to a local in the know than odds are it's not too hard to send that person an email etc and find a pot without hoping on a plane.

Dec 8th, '17, 22:00

by Zared » Dec 8th, '17, 22:00

ShuShu wrote:

Of course, the tea is more important. But in some sense, I feel that a teapot is like a car. You buy very few in your life. When you do buy one you want it to be a good one and one that makes you happy, even though a car that makes you less happy will do its "job" just as good.. don't you think?
At any rate, now that I got one, off I go to the "Official Pu of the Day" topic :wink:
Did you get the lamp pot from Emmett?

Dec 9th, '17, 19:13

by ShuShu » Dec 9th, '17, 19:13

Zared wrote:
ShuShu wrote:

Did you get the lamp pot from Emmett?
Yes! I did. Just couldn’t resist that shape. :-) how did you guess?

Dec 10th, '17, 19:35

by bagua7 » Dec 10th, '17, 19:35

Zared wrote: Also if you have access to a local in the know than odds are it's not too hard to send that person an email etc and find a pot without hoping on a plane.
I was going to suggest that but glad you did. I personally have done so, from one of the Asia-based users who used to post here a few years ago.

Cheers!

+ Post Reply