Dec 11th, '17, 23:04

Using one pot to brew both white tea and yueguangbai (moonlight white) tea?

by DongbeiRenr » Dec 11th, '17, 23:04

I recently purchased a pot specifically for brewing white (mostly aged white) tea. However, I'm also a huge fan of yueguangbai (moonlight white) tea.

Right now I'm debating if I should use one pot to brew both of them or if I need to get two separate pots. Can anyone offer their two cents?

Some claim since yueguangbai is technically a kind raw puer, I shouldn't use the same pot to brew Fuding white teas. Others say, "Eh, close enough."

What say ye, TeaChat?

Dec 14th, '17, 04:10

Re: Using one pot to brew both white tea and yueguangbai (moonlight white) tea?

by Aya » Dec 14th, '17, 04:10

DongbeiRenr wrote: I recently purchased a pot specifically for brewing white (mostly aged white) tea. However, I'm also a huge fan of yueguangbai (moonlight white) tea.

Right now I'm debating if I should use one pot to brew both of them or if I need to get two separate pots. Can anyone offer their two cents?

Some claim since yueguangbai is technically a kind raw puer, I shouldn't use the same pot to brew Fuding white teas. Others say, "Eh, close enough."

What say ye, TeaChat?
I personally feel yueguangbai tastes more like aged white teas (especially baimudan) rather than puerh, so I'm not worried about aroma/taste of either is "carried over" to another.

I know majority of people brew white teas with Gaiwan or porcelain pots, but I simply enjoy them brewed in high-fired zisha teapots :)

Dec 14th, '17, 04:37

by Bok » Dec 14th, '17, 04:37

I wouldn’t worry too much about brewing different teas in the same pot in general, unless you use a suuuper absorbing pot, nothing will happen. And such an absorbing pot would probably not be the best idea in the first place as it will also absorb the flavours destined for your delight.

A simple rinse with water will do to make it ready for the next tea.
If in doubt, let it dry in the sun.

You can test how much of a flavour is accumulating in a one-kind-tea-dedicated-pot by brewing hot water in it. Mostly it will taste like - water :mrgreen:

Dec 14th, '17, 05:41

by DongbeiRenr » Dec 14th, '17, 05:41

Aya wrote:
DongbeiRenr wrote: I recently purchased a pot specifically for brewing white (mostly aged white) tea. However, I'm also a huge fan of yueguangbai (moonlight white) tea.

What say ye, TeaChat?
I personally feel yueguangbai tastes more like aged white teas (especially baimudan) rather than puerh, so I'm not worried about aroma/taste of either is "carried over" to another.

I know majority of people brew white teas with Gaiwan or porcelain pots, but I simply enjoy them brewed in high-fired zisha teapots :)
I completely agree on the flavor thing. I think a zisha pot can make a huge difference in aged whites. Oddly enough, I find that brewing more similar to a Western-style works best with my yueguangbai (only used a Gaiwan with it before, was not super impressed). I'll try my zisha pot once I get it and see how it reacts.

+ Post Reply