Dec 19th, '17, 09:28

Advice On Teapot Appraisals

by Shaner » Dec 19th, '17, 09:28

Does anyone know of a way to learn more about a teapot? I’m not looking to sell it necessarily, I would just like more information on it. I can’t read Chinese characters.

On another note. Forgive my newbness, but I’m guessing that a low profile pot that is high fired should be paired with a red (black) tea or a roasted oolong right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 18th, '18, 21:59

Re: Advice On Teapot Appraisals

by CheekyChipmunk » Jan 18th, '18, 21:59

Shaner wrote: Does anyone know of a way to learn more about a teapot? I’m not looking to sell it necessarily, I would just like more information on it. I can’t read Chinese characters.

On another note. Forgive my newbness, but I’m guessing that a low profile pot that is high fired should be paired with a red (black) tea or a roasted oolong right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Shaner,

There is no should when it comes to Yixing, each pot has its personality which comes from clay, age, thickness, firing, shape etc etc. try some tea in it and compare it against the same tea in a porcelain gaiwan. Mess around until you find a combo that you like!

Jan 27th, '18, 03:19

by acorn54 » Jan 27th, '18, 03:19

i have done some research on yixing tea pots, one thing i'd like to point out in my research, is that the knowledgeable folks on this matter state:

1- yixing is a term thrown around loosely when it comes to tea pots
2-a quality tea pot will be balanced, that is, the tip of the spout and the top portion of the handle are even with the mouth of the pot.
3- if when you hold the lid about 1/4 inch above the mouth and drop the lid on the mouth of the pot, the higher the pitch (read, sounds like a bell), the higher quality the yixing pot.
4- the pot should be air tight, that is when you place your finger over the hole in the lid, no water comes out at the spout.

Jan 29th, '18, 23:40

by Bok » Jan 29th, '18, 23:40

acorn54 wrote: i have done some research on yixing tea pots, one thing i'd like to point out in my research, is that the knowledgeable folks on this matter state:

2-a quality tea pot will be balanced, that is, the tip of the spout and the top portion of the handle are even with the mouth of the pot.
3- if when you hold the lid about 1/4 inch above the mouth and drop the lid on the mouth of the pot, the higher the pitch (read, sounds like a bell), the higher quality the yixing pot.
4- the pot should be air tight, that is when you place your finger over the hole in the lid, no water comes out at the spout.
Better read this:
http://www.marshaln.com/2014/01/things- ... that-dont/

Lesson one, do not trust the internet… you never know who those "experts” really are…

Feb 19th, '18, 04:52

by acorn54 » Feb 19th, '18, 04:52

Bok wrote:
acorn54 wrote: i have done some research on yixing tea pots, one thing i'd like to point out in my research, is that the knowledgeable folks on this matter state:

Better read this:
http://www.marshaln.com/2014/01/things- ... that-dont/

Lesson one, do not trust the internet… you never know who those "experts” really are…
bok. thanks for taking time to give me much useful information that is common sense. reading the article linked i felt like an idiot being so concerned about the vessels to use for tea.
presently i am just using a cheap gaiwan.

+ Post Reply