Feb 5th, '18, 18:17

Dun' Messed Up: Teaware Safety Question

by TeaNSpoons » Feb 5th, '18, 18:17

Hi Everyone,

New to the gongfu style of tea making, but as is usual in my new interests, I dove in hard.

Ended up ordering a bunch (BUNCH) of tea and realized while waiting for it to arrive from china that I need some tea ware!

Saw crazy high prices on Yixing, and wanted a few 5oz pots (one for puerh, one for oolong, one for other/black) and a gaiwan for green/white/fragrant teas.

Found what I thought was an amazing deal!

Yeah, I now own 3 $7.99 useless pitchers of potential death. Not gonna lie, really wish I had found this forum first! But $24 is some good tea but isn't the end of the world.

Now the question:

I ordered this set https://www.musiccitytea.com/products/g ... s-for-sale at the same time (they sell it $10 cheaper on amazon, but I thought I was getting a steal on the 3 tea pots, ugh)... It's glazed, so can I assume the enamel on this set is safe for use?

Hearing of the nastiness in the clay and paint used on the fake tixing got me scared, and I want to check that this set will be usable or if I actually wasted $65 out of ignorance!

Feb 7th, '18, 13:32

Re: Dun' Messed Up: Teaware Safety Question

by Zared » Feb 7th, '18, 13:32

Its probably useable but wouldn't be my choice for first teaware. I'd recommend all plain porcelain rather than glazed yixing, especially for cups. Total cost should be $20-30. Add more things or upgrade as you go.

Feb 8th, '18, 14:51

by teaformeplease » Feb 8th, '18, 14:51

Buying a tea set like this is a bit of an initiation. We've all been there (mine came from eBay, lol). Music City Tea sells mass-produced teaware but nothing that will kill you. They operate out of a storefront in Nashville. I doubt they would be able to do that if their products were harmful. Use them for now and upgrade slowly as you go. No harm, no foul :)

Mar 16th, '18, 00:44

by yalokinh » Mar 16th, '18, 00:44

starting out, I recommend getting a gaiwan. They're simple, elegant (cup+lid, come on), easy to use, cheap, and last forever. I still use mine bought 5 years ago

+ Post Reply