Feb 13th 19 2:53 am

How to tell if a Yixing Teapot is Handmade or Half Handmade

by Roh249 » Feb 13th 19 2:53 am

Hi. I've been using Yixing teapots for a while and I want to learn more about them. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on identifying whether a Yixing Teapot is Handmade vs half handmade. Thanks

Mar 15th 19 4:03 pm

Re: How to tell if a Yixing Teapot is Handmade or Half Handmade

by DailyTX » Mar 15th 19 4:03 pm

Hi Roh249, that is a very difficult question to answer. I am no expert on it but in general, I would first look and feel for the construction inside of the pot. Older pots may have a seam that can be seen or feel by touch. For modern pots, some have them, some don’t have them, and some would fake it by adding a seam. Then, I would look for tool marks inside and outside, the stamp, etc. I remember there was a saying that there is no perfect yixing zisha pot, more experience folks are able to see each pot differently. I often would read something about yixing zisha then I would check my pots and gain experience from it.

Mar 21st 19 1:52 am
Vendor Member

by oolongtimenosee » Mar 21st 19 1:52 am

Roh249 wrote: Hi. I've been using Yixing teapots for a while and I want to learn more about them. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on identifying whether a Yixing Teapot is Handmade vs half handmade. Thanks
https://www.mudandleaves.com/teatime-bl ... y-handmade

Apr 7th 19 7:20 pm

by imkvn » Apr 7th 19 7:20 pm

Roh249 wrote: Hi. I've been using Yixing teapots for a while and I want to learn more about them. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on identifying whether a Yixing Teapot is Handmade vs half handmade. Thanks
I would say that most are slip cast. The others are molded then hand placed pieces. Usually you can tell by near the spout and handle. It wont look perfect, usually some lines from smoothing or doesn't look like a machine did it. You really don't know what your getting unless you know the maker. There's a lot of factory copies and replicas.

I'd say most are slip cast. A little are half hand and very little are actually handmade. Half-hand probably cost 200-500. Hand-made probably cost 500-limitless. Sad thing is you probably will never know. I have a pot that is probably slip cast then hand carved a dragon and phoenix. It's painted by hand. Is it hand or half hand. I have other pots that have unique qualities about them.

At the end of the day be happy and drink some tea.