Feb 13th 19 2:53 am

How to tell if a Yixing Teapot is Handmade or Half Handmade

by Roh249 » Feb 13th 19 2:53 am

Hi. I've been using Yixing teapots for a while and I want to learn more about them. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on identifying whether a Yixing Teapot is Handmade vs half handmade. Thanks

Mar 15th 19 4:03 pm

Re: How to tell if a Yixing Teapot is Handmade or Half Handmade

by DailyTX » Mar 15th 19 4:03 pm

Hi Roh249, that is a very difficult question to answer. I am no expert on it but in general, I would first look and feel for the construction inside of the pot. Older pots may have a seam that can be seen or feel by touch. For modern pots, some have them, some don’t have them, and some would fake it by adding a seam. Then, I would look for tool marks inside and outside, the stamp, etc. I remember there was a saying that there is no perfect yixing zisha pot, more experience folks are able to see each pot differently. I often would read something about yixing zisha then I would check my pots and gain experience from it.

Mar 21st 19 1:52 am
Vendor Member

Re: How to tell if a Yixing Teapot is Handmade or Half Handmade

by oolongtimenosee » Mar 21st 19 1:52 am

Roh249 wrote: Hi. I've been using Yixing teapots for a while and I want to learn more about them. I was wondering if you guys have any tips on identifying whether a Yixing Teapot is Handmade vs half handmade. Thanks
https://www.mudandleaves.com/teatime-bl ... y-handmade