Mar 6th, '19, 13:11

To dry or not to dry

by Teobazbo » Mar 6th, '19, 13:11

Hello everybody at a tea meeting in my hometown, one of the guests speakers suggested to rinse and dry the teapot (even with hot air) after having made tea, because the porosity of clay could develop mildews.
Isn't this the opposite of aging?

Mar 26th, '19, 18:57

Re: To dry or not to dry

by braden87 » Mar 26th, '19, 18:57

Teobazbo wrote: Hello everybody at a tea meeting in my hometown, one of the guests speakers suggested to rinse and dry the teapot (even with hot air) after having made tea, because the porosity of clay could develop mildews.
I know some folks will pour boiling water over the pot to make it hot, which helps evaporation. Personally, I do not. I just remove the leaves, shake out excess water and store without the lid fully on - have not developed any mildew.

Apr 7th, '19, 15:26

by imkvn » Apr 7th, '19, 15:26

braden87 wrote:
Teobazbo wrote: Hello everybody at a tea meeting in my hometown, one of the guests speakers suggested to rinse and dry the teapot (even with hot air) after having made tea, because the porosity of clay could develop mildews.
I know some folks will pour boiling water over the pot to make it hot, which helps evaporation. Personally, I do not. I just remove the leaves, shake out excess water and store without the lid fully on - have not developed any mildew.
I make my tea. Then wipe off the moisture on the outer surface. Your water may leave hard mineral deposits on the outside of your pot. I dump the leaves into a trashcan, shake it out a bit. Store it with the lid off for a day. The remaining leaves in the pot dry out. Dump it in the trash. Then I put the lid on.

Mold can occur in different climates. If it happens you can rinse and scrub the inside with a soft toothbrush. Rinse with hot water. ect.

Apr 8th, '19, 06:37

by Teasenz » Apr 8th, '19, 06:37

Ideally you rinse the teapot with water and then dry it with a cloth. Then let it further dry out without putting the lid on the pot. Drying with hot air is very uncommon, never heard of it.

Why would it be the opposite of aging? Can you clarify what you mean?

Apr 14th, '19, 14:06

by Teobazbo » Apr 14th, '19, 14:06

Teasenz wrote:
Ideally you rinse the teapot with water and then dry it with a cloth. Then let it further dry out without putting the lid on the pot. Drying with hot air is very uncommon, never heard of it.

Why would it be the opposite of aging? Can you clarify what you mean?
For aging I mean to let the teapot soak part of the tea at the end of the session while drying, something like IMKV wrote up here. In the past I didn't always rinse every time the teapot , I just put them upside down and let dry to promote an inside patina/ coating be able to form.

May 13th, '19, 05:38

by bagua7 » May 13th, '19, 05:38

I dry my pots by either:

1. Putting the pot outside my balcony in the sun. A couple of hours sometimes more.
2. Placing them in the oven, if it's a rainy day. 5-10 min, turn oven off and leave the pot(s) there for a while. Temp.: around 170 deg. C.

In both instances, lids are removed.

+ Post Reply