Jan 14th 20 6:44 pm

How old teapots are ok to use

by GuiHua » Jan 14th 20 6:44 pm

Hello!

I just bought my first yixing teapot. It's vintage and I don't know the exact age, so I was wondering how old teapots can get before it's not advisable to brew tea in them anymore? Are older teaware for example prone to cracking?

Mine is in perfect condition and both looks and feels like as good as new, so I hope it's fine to use it. But it would be interesting to hear what you all think.

Jan 14th 20 10:39 pm

Re: How old teapots are ok to use

by Zared » Jan 14th 20 10:39 pm

Thermal shock can crack yixing which is why it’s always wise to pre warm it. Some people also believe you should soak 70’s and older pots for a couple weeks prior to first using it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/teaism99.c ... ening/amp/

Nothing wrong w/ using vintage and antique pots as long as your comfortable w/ the possibility of dropping it or cracking from thermal shock. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much unless it’s worth $500-1000+

Jan 15th 20 7:18 am

by Bok » Jan 15th 20 7:18 am

GuiHua wrote: Hello!

I just bought my first yixing teapot. It's vintage and I don't know the exact age, so I was wondering how old teapots can get before it's not advisable to brew tea in them anymore? Are older teaware for example prone to cracking?

Mine is in perfect condition and both looks and feels like as good as new, so I hope it's fine to use it. But it would be interesting to hear what you all think.
How vintage is vintage? That aside a lot of people us every old teapots, even antique ones. Clean and boil with water and it should be safe to use.

Jan 15th 20 8:30 pm

by GuiHua » Jan 15th 20 8:30 pm

Bok wrote:
GuiHua wrote: Hello!

How vintage is vintage? That aside a lot of people us every old teapots, even antique ones. Clean and boil with water and it should be safe to use.
Mine is about 50 years old. It has been used previously, but not much since it lacks stains and patina.

Thanks for both comments!

Jan 18th 20 11:14 pm

by TuoChaTea » Jan 18th 20 11:14 pm

Where did you get the teapot?