Jun 8th 20 5:19 pm

'70s Zini Black Apple

by Patrick Humphreys » Jun 8th 20 5:19 pm

This is a teapot I recently acquired from eBay. It looks very much like a '70s/'80s Yixing Zini Black Apple. I must say, after inspecting the pot thoroughly, it seems promising. However, my experience with Factory pots is somewhat limited. I do own a few, but I have never handled a Black Apple before, so I am kindly asking for opinions.

The pot is 11.5cm × 6.5cm. It is approximately 125ml and weighs 111g.

The clay is very dry in texture and sounds medium fired. The lid is slightly loose. The clay does not sounds terribly rich or metallic, I must say. It's rather dull and clunky.

One thing that struck me was that the vertical seams of the body, at spout and handle ends, when viewed from inside the pot show a slightly darker colour. It looks like a broad brush stroke of adhesive. You will see what I mean from the photos.

I have taken extensive photos. Please click a photo below to view the album.

Jun 9th 20 9:01 pm

Re: '70s Zini Black Apple

by Patrick Humphreys » Jun 9th 20 9:01 pm

The more I look at and handle the pot, the more I suspect that it's just some weird fake/replica using sub-par clay. I also suspect that it's from the '90s—that's just my gut feeling.

I have compared it to images of a lot of different authentic '70s black apple pots, and the clay of my pot, while very similar in colour and composition (grain/particles etc.), lacks the richness and denseness of the authentic pots. If anything, my pot it too sandy. That is how it feels in the hand, very sandy. It also has a dull look to it, as I mentioned. No shine to it whatsoever.

Jun 10th 20 1:42 pm

Re: '70s Zini Black Apple

by FBee » Jun 10th 20 1:42 pm

this does not look like 70s to me, those dark stains are weird and a potential red light. Handle does not look right as well as the overall shape. More likely a later replica. Those apples are rare and expensive if real...