Jun 8th, '20, 13:19

'70s Zini Black Apple

by Patrick Humphreys » Jun 8th, '20, 13:19

This is a teapot I recently acquired from eBay. It looks very much like a '70s/'80s Yixing Zini Black Apple. I must say, after inspecting the pot thoroughly, it seems promising. However, my experience with Factory pots is somewhat limited. I do own a few, but I have never handled a Black Apple before, so I am kindly asking for opinions.

The pot is 11.5cm × 6.5cm. It is approximately 125ml and weighs 111g.

The clay is very dry in texture and sounds medium fired. The lid is slightly loose. The clay does not sounds terribly rich or metallic, I must say. It's rather dull and clunky.

One thing that struck me was that the vertical seams of the body, at spout and handle ends, when viewed from inside the pot show a slightly darker colour. It looks like a broad brush stroke of adhesive. You will see what I mean from the photos.

I have taken extensive photos. Please click a photo below to view the album.

Jun 9th, '20, 17:01

Re: '70s Zini Black Apple

by Patrick Humphreys » Jun 9th, '20, 17:01

The more I look at and handle the pot, the more I suspect that it's just some weird fake/replica using sub-par clay. I also suspect that it's from the '90s—that's just my gut feeling.

I have compared it to images of a lot of different authentic '70s black apple pots, and the clay of my pot, while very similar in colour and composition (grain/particles etc.), lacks the richness and denseness of the authentic pots. If anything, my pot it too sandy. That is how it feels in the hand, very sandy. It also has a dull look to it, as I mentioned. No shine to it whatsoever.

Jun 10th, '20, 09:42

by FBee » Jun 10th, '20, 09:42

this does not look like 70s to me, those dark stains are weird and a potential red light. Handle does not look right as well as the overall shape. More likely a later replica. Those apples are rare and expensive if real...

Jul 14th, '20, 13:15

by MasterSplinter » Jul 14th, '20, 13:15

I agree with this assessment. The clay should not have that sandy feeling you describe. It is dense and somewhat warm to the touch despite tiny inclusions of a red/golden sand. The color seems close on yours, and many of the details appear to be meticulously copied (if in fact a copy). But the dark line is strange and so is the dark in the hole of the lid. The bottom looks off and the handle is also far more clumsy than anything I have seen on these elegant apples.
Keep searching! They’re out there!

Jul 18th, '20, 13:57

by MasterSplinter » Jul 18th, '20, 13:57

https://m.facebook.com/groups/142937832 ... oser=false

Just some more interesting information that may contradict my initial assessment. Masters i trust seem to confirm a very similar looking apple. Please take a look and decide for yourself!

Jul 21st, '20, 02:13

by Patrick Humphreys » Jul 21st, '20, 02:13

MasterSplinter wrote: https://m.facebook.com/groups/142937832 ... oser=false

Just some more interesting information that may contradict my initial assessment. Masters i trust seem to confirm a very similar looking apple. Please take a look and decide for yourself!
Whoa, nice find! That certainly looks like the same pot.

Perhaps, like the comments on that post suggest, it is an Yixing factory pot of sorts, but one of a rather low standard.

I certainly won't be using it to brew tea. Among other things, the clay just doesn't seem right to me at all. I have two '90s zini pots from Essence of Tea and a dicaoqing zini from Mud and Leaves to compare it to. The dicaoqing in particular is divine. Comparing it to this apple pot is like comparing silk to sackcloth.

Jul 22nd, '20, 01:45

by FBee » Jul 22nd, '20, 01:45

Patrick Humphreys wrote: The more I look at and handle the pot, the more I suspect that it's just some weird fake/replica using sub-par clay. I also suspect that it's from the '90s—that's just my gut feeling.

I have compared it to images of a lot of different authentic '70s black apple pots, and the clay of my pot, while very similar in colour and composition (grain/particles etc.), lacks the richness and denseness of the authentic pots. If anything, my pot it too sandy. That is how it feels in the hand, very sandy. It also has a dull look to it, as I mentioned. No shine to it whatsoever.
It should not have a shine if it's real and unused. Factory clay is never shiny, unless it has gathered patina or has wax coating.

That apple still looks wrong to me. If you compare it closely to the FB pots there are a lot of differences and with Yixing, the devil is in the details. The underside in particular looks not right.

+ Post Reply