Mar 31st, '22, 06:35

Yixing clay

by SamSchwetzke » Mar 31st, '22, 06:35

Is it ok to test brew different teas in an yixing tepot? I've been using my new lao zini junde pot for 2 months now, im guessing I brewed 20 infusions of tea in it already. I use to brew young sheng teas in the pot, but didnt like how it took away all of its bright notes. I tested it with shu cha and thought it was a better match for me but I was really happy with the mineral matching of the pot with aged shengs, like 7ish year old so now I want to use it for those teas. Do you think that it is best that I reset the pot before making this change? I also want to test other teas in that pot just to see how they would do in a zini pot so that I could get a new one for them if I like the mineral matching. Im also planning to do the same in chaozhou clay, I want to see if young shengs will do better in it or if i should just use porcelin. So back to my original question, Is it ok to do all of this testing in a pot before dedicating it for one type of tea, or will that little bit of mixing of teas ruin my pots?

Apr 15th, '22, 08:16

Help to find excellent authentic yixing

by TENTACLE » Apr 15th, '22, 08:16

Hello, I want to buy excellent quality yixing, I’m new to yixing and teapots, but I want my first to be perfect, my budget is around 500-1500$, I want to buy online, also can you please recommend a 150-500$ teapot for my friend

I have seen some websites, can you please review these websites and make your suggestion where I can buy authentic yixing
https://chantingpines.com/
https://thechineseteashop.com/collectio ... ng-teapots

I need only high quality teapots I’m not interested in mid-low

Thank you

Apr 17th, '22, 03:58

Re: Help to find excellent authentic yixing

by 12Tea » Apr 17th, '22, 03:58

TENTACLE wrote: Hello, I want to buy excellent quality yixing, I’m new to yixing and teapots, but I want my first to be perfect, my budget is around 500-1500$, I want to buy online, also can you please recommend a 150-500$ teapot for my friend
Not sure about the sites you mentioned, but Teasenz has really good teapots in the 150-500 range. They do also have teapots above 500$, but for that you need to email them. They have direct connections with artists.

Apr 22nd, '22, 15:43

Re: Help to find excellent authentic yixing

by fraveydank » Apr 22nd, '22, 15:43

12Tea wrote: Not sure about the sites you mentioned, but Teasenz has really good teapots in the 150-500 range. They do also have teapots above 500$, but for that you need to email them. They have direct connections with artists.
Does anyone have experience with the Yixing pots from Umi Tea Sets (I’d post a link, but I don’t have enough posts under my belt to not get autobanned for that, which I already did once by mistake, but just add a dot com and you’ll get there)?

Their pots look nice and are reasonably affordable, and they have a lot of info about the purported artists, but I ordered some other stuff from them including a pair of “Yixing gaiwans” which are perfectly good gaiwans but are definitely just terracotta, so I have some reservations about ordering a full teapot from them.

I’m just looking for something to start with, it doesn’t need to be amazing but I did want the porosity and heat retention of Yixing clay, so I want to make sure it’s at least the real deal. I don’t mind having a slightly lower quality “beater” one for daily use.

The Teasenz ones look pretty nice, but start at a slightly higher price point, so I think I’d probably look into them once I know a bit better what I want. That watermelon one is adorable, though!

+ Post Reply