Mar 6th, '08, 21:36

Got a YiXing, need help!

by caradrake » Mar 6th, '08, 21:36

I got my first ever YiXing in today. It's absolutely beautiful. So, now what? I have never used anything other than an IngenuiTEA. What do I need to do to prepare my YiXing to be used? How do I care for and clean it? I know that I should only use one type of tea in it, but that's about it.

If there is already a thread on proper YiXing care, please direct me to it! Thank you. :)

Mar 6th, '08, 22:51

by andy825 » Mar 6th, '08, 22:51

Here are some instructions from the fine folks over at seven cups:
http://www.sevencups.com/education/abou ... ixing-pot/

Mar 7th, '08, 00:56

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Mar 7th, '08, 00:56

Caradrake---I read the instructions in the link from the previous post and they are OK.......One of the main things that I find with new Yixings and I am sure anyone really, is the "clay/earthy" smell they have. One of the things that I do is get an old toothbrush and boil it so that it does not have any "scent" on it and I scrub the inside of the teapot and outside as well and rinse with warm water. I do this about 5 times......you will notice perhaps tiny grits of the clay coming out each time. Then, I boil water and pour it into a bowl with the pot and I do this process about 5 times.......then, after all this I get the type of tea I am going to use, which in my case is Pu-Erh and I put a large amount of it in the teapot and pour in boiling water and let it steep for hours on end and just leave it in there....between 12-24 hours. Then the pot is ready for use. My method does take a while, but it is worth it in the long run. Some methods, whice are pretty similar to mine, will call for actually putting your yixing in a large pot on the stove and keeping it at a low boil in there. I find that this is a bit risky being that the yixing may "bounce" around becuse of the bubbles and perhaps break. In my opinion a little extra time is well worth it versus not having a new pot at all. I think the main thing most peopl eare concerned about is getting that initial smell out and perhaps any loose particles/grits that may still be inside the pot. Hope this helps!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Mar 7th, '08, 01:05

by tenuki » Mar 7th, '08, 01:05

:shock:

Mar 7th, '08, 01:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Mar 7th, '08, 01:40

I don't think you need to do anything to prepare it, actually. Just use it! Be careful not to use soap in it, but aside from that, whatever.

I've never prepped any of mine before, and while there may (not always, just with some pots) be a clay taste at first, it goes away quickly.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Mar 7th, '08, 03:15

by betta » Mar 7th, '08, 03:15

I think it is good to boil it for another additional reason.
Lately I have bad experience with one of the ebay seller who sells pots which crack after exposure to hot water.
The pots were initially fine, however during exposure with warm and later hot water, fake clay started to foil out or crack. Since the pots I bought are made of zhuni, the fake clay painted over the outer and inner surface doesn't have similar expansion and shrinkage rate like that of zhuni, thus they foiled out or cracked.
The surface of the pot ist slightly rough and bumpy, compare to my 60's zhuni which is soft but bumpy.
I consider the cost to buy them as 'tuition fee' and will never buy from that vendor again.

Mar 7th, '08, 07:50

by caradrake » Mar 7th, '08, 07:50

Thanks to everyone for the excellent information. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. :) :)

Tenuki, why the face? :(

Mar 7th, '08, 09:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Mar 7th, '08, 09:06

I always boil mine for an hour. To reduce the risk of damage, I place the pot on a steamer in the pan and cover the steamer and pot with water. That way the pot won't bounce around on the bottom. I don't season it with tea because I don't want to waste good tea. I let it season as I use it.

I suspect that Tenuki was shocked because he may do nothing, like Scruff.

+ Post Reply