Jul 26th, '08, 08:03

Open question about yixing

by betta » Jul 26th, '08, 08:03

Hello tea chatters, I'm asking comments about a yixing pot bought by my roommate lately. It's quite interesting, so I post it here.
It's claimed to be old zhuni (again).
My first impression after holding the piece, it's a dense clay definitely more than zini.
Interesting is the tapping sound which is not as high pitch as my own pots. This tapping sound change even if it is tapped at the same spot with the same strength and intensity.
The clay color and structure is the same in and outside the pot, single spout and handmade.
My question is: does anyone ever come across this kind of pot? I mean zhuni with low pitch and inconsistent tapping sound?
Any feedback is appreciated :D

PS: Chrl42, thanks for your comments before

Jul 26th, '08, 10:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 26th, '08, 10:23

I suppose it is a good sign that the appearance of the clay is completely different from any of my inexpensive pots. Can't imagine why the sound would vary.

Jul 26th, '08, 10:23

by hop_goblin » Jul 26th, '08, 10:23

Yes, I don't get the "feel" of zhuni. It looks more like weathered Hongni with iron deposits on the surface - Maybe open fired?? If it makes a thud sound then obviously it was not high fired which lessens the chance. Nonetheless, it is a great looking pot.

Jul 26th, '08, 16:44

by betta » Jul 26th, '08, 16:44

Sal and Hop, thanks for your comments.
I was thinking the same way as Chrl42 that it was fired at lower temperature. Moreover probably the geometry of the pot really influence the sound.
Driven by my curiosity, I borrow the pot and made an experiment with the pot which I put it on different surface and tap the pot. The sound varies from low pitch to high pitch dependent on where it was put. The sound is somewhat very distinct much clearer than zini and only wavy when it gave high pitch sound.
Thanks once again.

+ Post Reply