Oct 23rd, '13, 15:18

Re: The search for the non-toxic and functional kettle

by yalokinh » Oct 23rd, '13, 15:18

MarshalN wrote:
yalokinh wrote:I prefer glass kettles because metal ones really bother me. I can't get past the metal taste, and then there is the issue of rust on some of them. Ive always wanted a Chou Zhou style clay kettle, but don't have the space for .
Hario also makes glass kettles but can be pricey. Sadly glass ones don't last as long, the one kettle i loved just broke :(

Edit: phone keyboard grammar mistakes
Chaozhou clay kettles are really small. How can space be a problem?
Its more of a living situation rather than space. I said space out of conveniance. I live in a small apartment with a lot of carpet, which wouldnt mix well with hot coals. Also, moving around a lot really limits what you can own.

Oct 23rd, '13, 19:30

by wyardley » Oct 23rd, '13, 19:30

yalokinh wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Chaozhou clay kettles are really small. How can space be a problem?
I live in a small apartment with a lot of carpet, which wouldnt mix well with hot coals. Also, moving around a lot really limits what you can own.
Using charcoal indoors is obviously something to be very careful about, if you do it at all (ventilation is an extreme must). But you can use the Chaozhou kettle (whether a clay one or a metal one) without the stove or charcoal - you can heat it stovetop or on an alcohol burner (depending on the heat, it may be advisable to soak it before use still, as you would a clay pot). While it's not the same, you still get some of the benefits.

Oct 23rd, '13, 21:33

by Teaism » Oct 23rd, '13, 21:33

wyardley wrote:quote]
Using charcoal indoors is obviously something to be very careful about, if you do it at all (ventilation is an extreme must).
When charcoal burns, it will consume oxygen and release carbon monoxide, so it will rob you of the air you need and give you poison in return. Be extremely careful.

Oct 23rd, '13, 22:32

by yalokinh » Oct 23rd, '13, 22:32

And thats why I dont have one yet haha. I think i would prefer to use it outside, or inside with a good vent system. Carpet and wood is no good, but dirt, cement, or stone floor would be good.

Oct 23rd, '13, 23:03

by chrl42 » Oct 23rd, '13, 23:03

yalokinh wrote:I prefer glass kettles because metal ones really bother me. I can't get past the metal taste, and then there is the issue of rust on some of them. Ive always wanted a Chou Zhou style clay kettle, but don't have the space for .
Hario also makes glass kettles but can be pricey. Sadly glass ones don't last as long, the one kettle i loved just broke :(

Metal kettles (iron, silver, bronze, pewter etc) have been worshipped for the water taste for long, and much sought-after than clay kettles in general.

If you talk about Chinese standard Kamjobe-like modern kettles..I don't even know if they are made of some kind of metals :lol:

Feb 24th, '14, 19:54

by tea girl » Feb 24th, '14, 19:54

Hi, I, too, am looking for a teapot. I was thinking of one with an infuser and came across the Hario.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this particular pot. I have no idea what the name means. I will be making only white tea in it. The size is perfect for me.

Thank you.

Hario Chacha Kyusu Maru Tea Pot, 700ml

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Chacha-Kyus ... 0646Z9IDZK

Or this one might even be better because it has a larger capacity. I use 20 ounce mugs.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Leaf-Pure-G ... roduct_top

Feb 25th, '14, 02:00

by debunix » Feb 25th, '14, 02:00

The 700mL Hario is a fine pot. I have one and it's very functional for the occasional western-style brewing.

Feb 25th, '14, 09:56

by tea girl » Feb 25th, '14, 09:56

Thank you! Is the infusion basket fine enough so tea does not get into the water?

Feb 25th, '14, 15:59

The search for the non-toxic and functional kettle

by debunix » Feb 25th, '14, 15:59

No filter is perfect, but that one does a good job.

Feb 26th, '14, 19:23

by tea girl » Feb 26th, '14, 19:23

Thanks a lot!

Feb 26th, '14, 22:22

by Teaism » Feb 26th, '14, 22:22

chrl42 wrote:

Metal kettles (iron, silver, bronze, pewter etc) have been worshipped for the water taste for long, and much sought-after than clay kettles in general.

If you talk about Chinese standard Kamjobe-like modern kettles..I don't even know if they are made of some kind of metals :lol:
I have some issues with stainless steel kettle. I can taste the metallic taste water when boil in it. Good cast iron and silver is fine for me. It's of the time I use purion kettle even for daily drinking water.
Cheers!
www.teaism99.com

Feb 26th, '14, 23:44

by chrl42 » Feb 26th, '14, 23:44

Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

I have some issues with stainless steel kettle. I can taste the metallic taste water when boil in it. Good cast iron and silver is fine for me. It's of the time I use purion kettle even for daily drinking water.
Cheers!
I often imagine comparing modern way of drinking vs old way of drinking,

If for Yixing, it could be a talk about kilns (since old/modern potters both use clays from Mt. Yellow Dragon and make in the same way), for Gongfu it could be about kettles, tea trays and many.

But I wonder if bringing charcoals into a room and clay kettle then practice the old style, would be necessary as written in books. Because those are stories before electricity was generally used for tea drinking. I want to buy an alcohol lamp instead of using charcoals next time I buy CZ clay kettle. :)

Feb 27th, '14, 00:42

by tea girl » Feb 27th, '14, 00:42

Teaism wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

Cheers!
Stainless is all I have ever used. I must be accustomed to it and not aware of a metallic taste.

What is a purion kettle?

+ Post Reply