Nov 22nd, '13, 03:07

Questions for Bonavita Variable Temp. Users

by databody » Nov 22nd, '13, 03:07

Hi--
I've been searching for a convenient but relatively plastic free way to heat water and heard a lot of good things and a few bad things about the Variable Temperature kettle on the boards.

Some say the Bonavita Variable Temp has plastic parts on the interior--near the handle and under the lid. I think I've read that at least the former can be removed.

Has anyone noticed a discernible effect on the water/taste from these plastic parts? Has anyone actually tried to remove them or even replace them with non-plastic parts? I would love to hear if this has worked!

Second, might anyone inform me of just how long it would take to bring 8-16 oz of water to boil on one of these? People state this kettle is a little slow, but I've only found boiling times for larger quantities of water.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

Nov 22nd, '13, 13:18

Re: Questions for Bonavita Variable Temp. Users

by hopeofdawn » Nov 22nd, '13, 13:18

I've had mine for about six months, and I haven't noticed any taste change from the little bits of plastic on the inside. The only plastic on the outside is the handle and the nob on the top lid, and the amount of plastic on the inside is maybe one tiny nob where they attach? I think? Otherwise it's all stainless steel.

And it usually takes about 5 min or less to come to a full boil--depending on what temp my water started out at, of course.

Nov 22nd, '13, 17:31
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 22nd, '13, 17:31

I notice nothing from the plastic. The plastic inside is high up & does not touch the water (because one does not fill a kettle all the way).
The pot does slow as it approaches whatever temperature it is set for. If I am in a hurry, I'll set it higher than the temperature that I really want & then pull the pot off when the digital readout tells me that the water is hot enough. Then I'll reset for keeping the water at the truly desired temperature for subsequent infusions.
I usually don't use the pot for a full boil.
I've had this kettle since they came on the market.

Nov 23rd, '13, 00:35

by MIKE_B » Nov 23rd, '13, 00:35

Like Ethan said about the plastic handle.
Just timed mine. Full pot at room temp to boiling took 8 minutes.

+ Post Reply