Sep 14th, '14, 05:44

Insulated Thermos Recommendations

by Noonie » Sep 14th, '14, 05:44

At work, I can't keep a kettle at my desk, and the kitchen isn't close by. When brewing oolong, I thought I might boil the water in the kitchen, poor into a thermos, and bring the thermos back to my desk. I would brew the tea at my desk, with avg 5 small infusions over say 30 minutes...maybe longer if I get distracted.

What brand/model of thermos would you recommend?

Looking for one that keeps the water close to 95c for up to an hour, and won't impart any negative flavours to the water. I will be brewing oolongs...high mountain, yancha, TGY, and some 'garden' dan congs.

Sep 14th, '14, 13:21

Re: Insulated Thermos Recommendations

by daidokorocha » Sep 14th, '14, 13:21

I have a Zoujirushi thermos I bought recently and it works wonders. I don't work until after school, so I brew early, early in the morning, head off to school, and by the time night comes around to go to work the water is still close to boiling. If I don't finish all the water I make in an afternoon, the water is still somewhat warm around noon the next day. In fact, I filled it up and made tea yesterday around 4 PM and left water in it. This morning around noon I made gyokuro using the left over water and it was delicious.

I think this one is mine. About 1 liter and I bought it for $30. Well worth it.

http://www.zojirushi.com/products/sjshe

Sep 15th, '14, 00:27

by rhpot1991 » Sep 15th, '14, 00:27

I do something similar at work, using a Klean Kanteen Insulated: http://goo.gl/5kHrha

I make something at home and bring it into the office with that, then later in the day I'll heat water in the kitchen area or get hot water from the water cooler and use the Klean Kanteen to keep some hot water at hand for additional steeps.

Sep 15th, '14, 01:08

by dan88 » Sep 15th, '14, 01:08

I am not in the position of giving recommendation on this matter, but I can share the information what I use. I use a glass bulb thermos when my bonavita gooseneck is not available. Tiger Table Jug with Tea Filter (removable). Model: PRQA100FH 1.0L with tea filter. What I like about it that it has a spout for precise pouring. I do not know if the lid is BPA free though. It has glass bulb inside. Made in Japan

Heat Retention 151°F @10hrs. / 124°F @ 24hrs (Rating is based on water at a starting temperature of 203°F (95°C) at a room temperature of 68°F (20°C))

Sep 15th, '14, 08:29

by heliospace » Sep 15th, '14, 08:29

If you can find one, this is what I use... Still going strong, although the graphic sticker is finally coming off after over 1 1/2 years of daily use. The shop I live near no longer carries them so I don't know if they are still available? It keeps my tea hot for approximately ~2 hours.

Sep 15th, '14, 08:50

by Poseidon » Sep 15th, '14, 08:50

heliospace wrote:If you can find one, this is what I use... Still going strong, although the graphic sticker is finally coming off after over 1 1/2 years of daily use. The shop I live near no longer carries them so I don't know if they are still available? It keeps my tea hot for approximately ~2 hours.

Any idea what the brand is?

Sep 16th, '14, 03:36

by Bok » Sep 16th, '14, 03:36

I can’t recommend Zoujirushi, the ones I tried went cold very quickly. I can recommend Thermos, for example something like this one: http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum- ... ottle.aspx

They keep the liquid warm for a long time. If not opened, a half day easily. When I first used them I burned myself quite a few times, because I didn’t expect it to be still hot…

Sep 18th, '14, 12:43

by wyardley » Sep 18th, '14, 12:43

I have had good luck with Zojirushi - we have 2 of them.

They will keep liquid extremely hot, especially when completely full.

Sep 18th, '14, 12:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 18th, '14, 12:54

... I have found that preheating (pouring very hot water into the thermos and then pouring out a minute or so later ... I "recycle" this water, I don't pour away) ... will enhance the performance of just about any thermos.

Sep 19th, '14, 11:04

by heliospace » Sep 19th, '14, 11:04

Chip is correct. Like you would a yixing or other tea vessel, heating the thermos will help maintain the hotness throughout the time you need it to. I usually consume within two hours of filling.

Also, that particular thermos can be acquired on ebay for about 66 dollars by a well known Chinese tea(pot) dealer (the image I have posted above). I acquired mine for fifty at the teashop that got me started on Chinese loose leaf here in Minnesota.

One cap says "TALENTED CUP" and the other end-cap says "TALENT D CUP." Also "Anhui Fuguang Industrial Co., Ltd." This is all the information I have on the manufacture/origin of the tea thermos I posted. It's been dropped and rolling across floor, and not a scratch on the finish beside the caps (setting it down). So, it's held up a lot considering the work environment it's been in. :-)

Cheers!

Sep 19th, '14, 13:08

by Poseidon » Sep 19th, '14, 13:08

heliospace wrote:Also, that particular thermos can be acquired on ebay for about 66 dollars by a well known Chinese tea(pot) dealer (the image I have posted above). I acquired mine for fifty at the teashop that got me started on Chinese loose leaf here in Minnesota.

Cheers!
Thanks!

Sep 20th, '14, 10:43

by yalokinh » Sep 20th, '14, 10:43

Some yerba mate thermos were designed to keep the heat as long as possible. Here are just some

http://ma-tea.com/thermos/

+ Post Reply