Sep 29th, '06, 18:33

Tea Tiger Thermos

by poisontumac » Sep 29th, '06, 18:33

I found this tea thermos while surfing the net and thought it looked pretty neat,
http://www.strandtea.com/tiger.htm

I'm new to the world of tea and making loose tea, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this method? from what I read it seems like if you leave the leaves in with the water while you're drinking it, which is the way this thermos works, wont it over-steep and go bitter? So I guess what I'm asking is, will this make good tea?
thanks so much!

Sep 30th, '06, 09:24

by Samovar » Sep 30th, '06, 09:24

I would also be very interested in hearing about this!

Teatime

Sep 30th, '06, 12:33

by Warden Andy » Sep 30th, '06, 12:33

I almost always use that method with a porcelain cup whenever I make green tea. It works very well. As long as you don't use too much leaves, or too hot of water, it won't go bitter. Also, try not to disturb the leaves while they are brewing. Slowly pour water in, and don't shake it. Pouring water in fast can make it become bitter, and can sometimes cook the leaves. Shaking it will usually cook the leaves making unpleasant tea.

To find out for yourself if that brewing method works, you could try brewing it in a small (about 8oz) porcelain cup or mug. Pour in a little bit of hot water, and swish it around to preheat it. Then throw in either a teaspoon or tablespoon of leaves depending on the density, and slowly pour in water of the correct temperature. To drink it, just blow any floating leaves aside. Also, there is no rush to drink it before it becomes bitter, so you can slowly sip it. When it gets down to about 1/3, slowly pour in more hot water that's the same temperature as before. Repeat untill it runs out of flavor.

Nov 8th, '06, 13:26

by Madam Potts » Nov 8th, '06, 13:26

OMG - I want one!

I am always on the go and could use one of these

but that's why I love this chat board so much!

:o)

Madam Potts
www.madpotsoftea.com
Madam Potts

Custom Tea Blends and other Mad Ideas...
www.madpotsoftea.com

Jan 5th, '07, 17:16

by embeijing » Jan 5th, '07, 17:16

I love my tea thermos! I got mine from Summit Tea Company off their website. 10 oz size and cheaper than Tiger Tea's - appear to be the same.

Jan 31st, '07, 14:12

by Drae » Jan 31st, '07, 14:12

I know this is a bit old of a thread, but I found a bodum travel tea/coffee press thing that's fantastic. It's got a little press down filter that somehow mysteriously traps water underneath it, so that you don't get any of the bitter overbrewed stuff at the bottom after brewing has finished.

I got it at Barnes & noble.

+ Post Reply