Jul 1st, '17, 21:03

Clay Kettle Recommendations

by MmBuddha » Jul 1st, '17, 21:03

I've been looking to upgrade from my electric kettle for a while now, and I've more or less settled upon the idea of purchasing a clay kettle of some kind. I've read as much as I can find here and elsewhere, and I think I've narrowed down my list to three options: a Lin's standard kettle (outside glazed, inside reddish clay), a Lin's Purion kettle, or a yixing zini kettle.

I imagine they all have a softening, and perhaps sweetening effect on the water, but I have no idea how they might differ otherwise, and I don't imagine I'll get the chance to try these side-by-side before deciding. I'd love to hear from anyone who owns or has compared any of these kettles—any thoughts or preferences would be very helpful to hear.

Thanks!

Jul 2nd, '17, 06:15
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Clay Kettle Recommendations

by William » Jul 2nd, '17, 06:15

What kind of teas do you usually drink?

Jul 2nd, '17, 07:39

by MmBuddha » Jul 2nd, '17, 07:39

William wrote: What kind of teas do you usually drink?
Hi William,

Well I'd say for the time being mostly shou/heicha, semi-aged sheng, more roasty traditional Taiwanese oolong, and yancha occasionally. These are all teas I picture a clay kettle enhancing but I haven't had the chance to test it for myself.

I'm also hoping to begin brewing gaoshan more often, as well as sencha and gyokuro—teas I'm less confident a clay kettle might benefit, but I can always continue to brew them with a stainless steel kettle for now and look at getting a tetsubin in the future perhaps.

Thanks for your help.

Jul 2nd, '17, 08:49

by Frisbeehead » Jul 2nd, '17, 08:49

Hey MmBuddha,

I've heard good things about the Anta clay boiler from Taiwan Sourcing

https://taiwanoolongs.com/collections/a ... iler-black

It looks just like another clay kettle brand made in Taiwan that I have forgotten the name of, but has been discussed on this board more than a few times.

Jul 2nd, '17, 09:00

by MmBuddha » Jul 2nd, '17, 09:00

Frisbeehead wrote: Hey MmBuddha,

I've heard good things about the Anta clay boiler from Taiwan Sourcing

https://taiwanoolongs.com/collections/a ... iler-black

It looks just like another clay kettle brand made in Taiwan that I have forgotten the name of, but has been discussed on this board more than a few times.
Those do look good, and much more affordable than most Taiwanese stoneware kettles (if that's the right term). Perhaps I should add them to my mental list. There's a red one too likely higher in iron.

I'm still very curious to know how a volcanic clay/stone blend like this or Lin's would compare to a Yixing purple clay kettle. Considering zisha is usually held as the benchmark (at least as far as tradition is concerned) I'm surprised by how oft-recommended Taiwanese kettles are. Hopefully one day I'll be able to try them side by side.

Jul 2nd, '17, 10:13

by Bok » Jul 2nd, '17, 10:13

I am not sure Yixing kettles have much effect on the water. Usually kettles are more porous than those. Think Chaozhou style kind of kettles. My Taiwanese kettle had to be seasoned with congee before first use to close it up a little. That is how my pottery teacher who also made it, instructed me to do.

He was using some special Japanese clay though, especially for use on fire and coal.

Water becomes sweeter and livelier.

Jul 2nd, '17, 19:07

by .m. » Jul 2nd, '17, 19:07

MmBuddha wrote: Those do look good, and much more affordable than most Taiwanese stoneware kettles (if that's the right term). Perhaps I should add them to my mental list. There's a red one too likely higher in iron.
The red and and the black one are most likely the same clay, which is more yellow/light brown color than red, except that the black one has some kind of surface coloring (it doesn't seem like a color change through reduction firing).

Jul 3rd, '17, 01:45

by Bok » Jul 3rd, '17, 01:45

Those look like they tried a similar approach to Lin Ceramics Purion clay. Colour looks similar.

The normal glazed ones from Lin’s have not positive effect whatsoever on the water, the rough clay ones are probably better. The same glazed ones for small teapots from them perform terribly with Gaoshan. Had a few across the range over the years when brewing at friends, all no good in my experience.

+ Post Reply