Sep 3rd, '05, 03:26

In Search of the Perfect Kettle

by spautz » Sep 3rd, '05, 03:26

My water kettle seems to be on its last legs. I'm looking into possible replacements, and I think I'm going to bite the bullet and invest in a nice one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

To me, the ideal kettle would have the following features/attributes:
  • Adjustable temperature (preferably with real numbers, a large & continuous temperature range, and a built-in thermometer)
  • Electric (preferably cordless)
  • Large capacity (at least 2L)
  • Small space requirement
  • Easy to fill up & pour from
  • Easy to clean (is stainless steel better than plastic?)
  • Good insulation (or some other method for keeping the water warm for a while)
  • Durable (my current one is only a few months old)
  • Safe (I tend to leave unexpectedly and forget about it)
  • Speedy (I'd rather watch tea brew than water heat up)
(Did I leave anything off? Does anyone else have any suggestions or favorite features?)

I doubt anyone makes a water kettle which meets all of these, but I'm trying to get as close as I can. =) So far the two best kettles I've found are Adagio's UtiliTea (which is too small for me) and Zojirushi's Panorama Window Dispenser (which is slow and has relatively few reviews.)

Does anyone have any other recommendations, considerations, or favorite models?

Jan 16th, '06, 13:02

by TeaFanatic » Jan 16th, '06, 13:02

I'm looking for the exact same thing. I would buy utilitea, but I'm waiting until adagio makes a bigger size and more reliable buttons before I invest my 50.00. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jan 16th, '06, 13:05

by Marlene » Jan 16th, '06, 13:05

Did you try Amazon.com? How about Shopping.com or yahoo shopping.
Good resources those, although I'm afraid you'll be spending more that 50.00 to find a kettle that meets all those requirements.
Marlene
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jan 16th, '06, 13:07

by TeaFanatic » Jan 16th, '06, 13:07

It's not that I mind spending $50.00 or more, it's just that I want the kettle to be next to perfect, and not something that will break quickly. I'll check amazon.

Jan 16th, '06, 14:01

by garden gal » Jan 16th, '06, 14:01

I am telling you I had all those requirements and more. I bought the trinitea and LOVE it. According to another thread on here- they are coming out with a new improved version which is going to be better than before ( maybe even bionic) in its ability to make the perfect cup of tea.

Jan 16th, '06, 14:30

by TeaFanatic » Jan 16th, '06, 14:30

I really like the idea of the trinitea, but will the new version have adjustable temperature settings?

Jan 16th, '06, 14:50

by garden gal » Jan 16th, '06, 14:50

That's the word from the higher ups on the thread right below this- New trinitea design. I will be getting a new one also. I just LOVE the trinitea so much. It has made life so much easier and more pleasant around here. The kitchen is cleaner, I'm drinking tons more healthy tea and have totally gotten away from the bagged teas. I want loose teas but I want them convenient and easily. Yea, I know, the whole relaxing, slow down, watch the tea brew sort of experience. That's not daily life around here- I really think it's pretty nifty when the water comes down and get a kick out of watching that if I happen to be close by- does that count?

Jul 1st, '06, 18:04

Upton Tea's New Custom Kettles!

by keelyn » Jul 1st, '06, 18:04

By now you've probably found and purchased a kettle, but I recently was undergoing a similiar search. Then I found Upton tea imports variable kettle

It has the following features:
heats 12 to 36 ounces of water
has automatic shutoff at dial-indicated temperature
cordless carafe (detaches from plugged in base)
1500-watt heating element
boil-dry safety shut-off
a locking lid
stainless steel construction.

Its list price is about $50 (about same as utilitea), stores more water than utilitea, and is cordless also unlike the current utilitea. I feel bad announcing this in anticipation of the restocking of Adagio's utilitea, but Adagio should move a bit faster when it comes to things like this!

I just received the Upton kettle, and it looks fabulous so far. I can't wait to use it.

Another note: for a limited time the kettle is priced at an introductory cost, $36.80. They also sell a tea thermometer to calibrate your settings with for $6.00. That means you can buy both like I did and pay for shipping for less than the list price (or the utilitea's price) right now!

They also offer a fixed temp kettle for $40, or for $30 during the introductory period.

Oh, the blasphemy! I may have to flog myself in penance!

+ Post Reply