Apr 21st, '10, 12:21

Re: Newest Chapter! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XIII

by debunix » Apr 21st, '10, 12:21

Got my new kyusus from tokoname.jp, and am currently enjoying my first morning sencha in the leaf pot:

It stands on one handle, has a nice sasame screen, is shapely and pretty, and pours well.

Apr 21st, '10, 12:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Apr 21st, '10, 12:36

Oh that's a beauty!

Apr 21st, '10, 12:42

by Chip » Apr 21st, '10, 12:42

Grrrrr, I definitely like and want ... momiji is a recurring theme around here. She is a beauty!

This is an interesting piece, you can see the result of reduction firing!

Apr 21st, '10, 12:55

by Victoria » Apr 21st, '10, 12:55

Wow, that is beautiful! Congrats!

Apr 21st, '10, 13:05

by debunix » Apr 21st, '10, 13:05

Chip wrote:This is an interesting piece, you can see the result of reduction firing!
sorry to have awakened the acquisitiveness gremlin....

But having not spent enough time with teaware artisans, I am missing which aspects of my lovely pot show reduction effects. Could you further enlighten us, please?

Apr 21st, '10, 13:13

by Chip » Apr 21st, '10, 13:13

Usually the effects of reduction are manifested by the two tone effect like in your kyusu. They can be repeated with some consistency by the skilled pot makers/craftsman/artisans in Japan. So with your kyusu, you have areas of "reddish" and the darker areas.

I will have to look for the discussion on reduction firing in "Ask the Artisan" under TeawareArtisans. They explained it pretty nicely ... in fact there were two topics running concurrently, one was under Teaware and Accessories. I am getting caught up on the TC TA SO at the moment ...

Apr 21st, '10, 16:03

by Robert Fornell » Apr 21st, '10, 16:03

Chip wrote:Grrrrr, I definitely like and want ... momiji is a recurring theme around here. She is a beauty!

Chip,

The effect is perhaps due to an airbursh and stencil with a glaze/underglaze sprayed. It would be cool however if my kiln could reduce doing seasonal motifs! :D

Best,
R

Apr 21st, '10, 16:50

by Chip » Apr 21st, '10, 16:50

ronin ceramurai wrote:
Chip wrote:Grrrrr, I definitely like and want ... momiji is a recurring theme around here. She is a beauty!

Chip,

The effect is perhaps due to an airbursh and stencil with a glaze/underglaze sprayed. It would be cool however if my kiln could reduce doing seasonal motifs! :D

Best,
R
Thanks Robert, glad to have in house experts. I have seen reduction pieces that had the 2 tone effect like this one. I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I actually was thinking later, well if it was reduction, how did they manage to get the stenciling in as well.

Apr 21st, '10, 22:52

by Tead Off » Apr 21st, '10, 22:52

Not sure if they do reduction work in Tokoname. They usually achieve the dark look through additives. And, as far as 2 tone look, you can get it without reducing, I believe. The introduction of carbon into the clay will turn it dark.

Apr 21st, '10, 22:56

by Chip » Apr 21st, '10, 22:56

Tead Off wrote:Not sure if they do reduction work in Tokoname. They usually achieve the dark look through additives. And, as far as 2 tone look, you can get it without reducing, I believe. The introduction of carbon into the clay will turn it dark.
Actually, I initially received this information regarding reduction from Toru of Artistic Nippon regarding Tokoname which also led me to the conclusion regarding Debunix's kyusu.

I can also see there are more ways to accomplish this feat.

Apr 21st, '10, 23:11

by Geekgirl » Apr 21st, '10, 23:11

Tead Off wrote:Not sure if they do reduction work in Tokoname. They usually achieve the dark look through additives. And, as far as 2 tone look, you can get it without reducing, I believe. The introduction of carbon into the clay will turn it dark.
My understanding is that kokudei can be acheived both through reduction firing, and through carbon "coating" at firing, but that it is definitely achieved through the firing process and not through clay additives. Although some tokoname pots are made with dark clay, but these will not be labeled "kokudei."

Apr 22nd, '10, 14:30

by Tead Off » Apr 22nd, '10, 14:30

Geekgirl wrote:
My understanding is that kokudei can be acheived both through reduction firing, and through carbon "coating" at firing, but that it is definitely achieved through the firing process and not through clay additives. Although some tokoname pots are made with dark clay, but these will not be labeled "kokudei."
Additives being carbon.

Apr 22nd, '10, 14:54

by Chip » Apr 22nd, '10, 14:54

Chip wrote:
Actually, I initially received this information regarding reduction from Toru of Artistic Nippon regarding Tokoname which also led me to the conclusion regarding Debunix's kyusu.

I can also see there are more ways to accomplish this feat.
Oh, I remembered late last night, I do have a reduction fired Tokoname Kyusu. It is a nericome/cut piece by artisan Kenji.

I will try to post photos for comment, but likely tomorrow.

Apr 22nd, '10, 15:08

by Chip » Apr 22nd, '10, 15:08

OK, I found AN photos sent to me before I ordered the kyusu that are supposed to illustrate reduction firing in a Tokoname. Sorry, just shop photos. The Kyusu is by Kenji, the same guy who did that black and red kyusu that has been on the forum many times.

This one is reallllly great for Fuka. I learned why the taller kyusu were often created for fuka from the first use of this kyusu ...

I will take some photos today.

Apr 22nd, '10, 15:51

by debunix » Apr 22nd, '10, 15:51

I learned why the taller kyusu were often created for fuka from the first use of this kyusu
My 2nd new teapot from tokoname.jp is a taller version shaped like this, but I have no fukamushi to test this out.....but can report that it makes a lovely regular sencha. Sencha zuiko from Denstea.com to be exact.

From the small image in the catalog I thought it would be plainer, didn't see the decorative stuff until I unpakcked it. Would have gone iwth a plain red clay instead. Still, brews a mean cup of sencha, stands n the handle, pours nice. Sweet little pot.