User avatar
Jan 14th 13 8:14 am
Posts: 1424
Joined: Oct 5th 09 9:03 am
Location: UK

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Alex » Jan 14th 13 8:14 am

Those are all so nice 8)

User avatar
Jan 14th 13 3:53 pm
Posts: 691
Joined: Mar 10th 11 1:17 pm
Location: on top of a mountain.

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by gasninja » Jan 14th 13 3:53 pm

:oops:
debunix wrote:Yesterday's special delivery was a few items from Petr Novak. First this little teapot caught my eye:

Image

and then I'd been wanting a little bit larger glazed teapot, to take on more of the larger-scale brewing duties at work:

Image

The black magda glaze has a wonderful subtlety--a little brown and silvery and soft matte glow:

Image

I also wanted an unglazed shiboridashi for puerh at work, and this little gem fit the bill

Image

and it came with a cup with a really nice interior

Image

and a then a drippy nuka-glazed cup snuck it's way into the cart....

Image

Wonderful stuff.
Very nice pot Deb. I ve been eyeing some of Petre's work lately.

User avatar
Jan 14th 13 8:13 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Jan 14th 13 8:13 pm

Is very hard to stop with just one piece.....I like so many of the very differently styled pieces he makes.

User avatar
Jan 14th 13 11:13 pm
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Chip » Jan 14th 13 11:13 pm

debunix wrote:Is very hard to stop with just one piece.....I like so many of the very differently styled pieces he makes.
+1 on all counts.

He is extremely diversified which makes his wares fun to collect and use.

User avatar
Jan 16th 13 5:07 pm
Posts: 345
Joined: Apr 9th 07 7:31 pm
Location: Texas

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by tomasini » Jan 16th 13 5:07 pm

first of all im amazed that this thread has carried on so long.
secondly, im havent ccontributed to it in ages, so that needs to change.


Image

User avatar
Jan 16th 13 10:05 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Jan 16th 13 10:05 pm

Who, what, when, & where? The why is obvious, because it's cool!

User avatar
Jan 16th 13 11:09 pm
Posts: 345
Joined: Apr 9th 07 7:31 pm
Location: Texas

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by tomasini » Jan 16th 13 11:09 pm

It was a gift a year ago....no idea on any of the specifics =/ other than that it's a happy little yixing mug

User avatar
Jan 16th 13 11:36 pm
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by AdamMY » Jan 16th 13 11:36 pm

Not sure if this will help you at all, likely not as I have no clue what this style of pottery is called in China. But in Japan that sort of effect is called Nerikome, and is created by wedging/ layering/ mixing together several different colored clay bodies, that still behave well enough together to be fired together.

User avatar
Jan 17th 13 12:04 am
Posts: 345
Joined: Apr 9th 07 7:31 pm
Location: Texas

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by tomasini » Jan 17th 13 12:04 am

well its at least something new for me to know about, thanks!

Jan 17th 13 3:46 am
Posts: 509
Joined: Oct 8th 09 1:31 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jan 17th 13 3:46 am

In the US that is called Agate ware. Eck McCanless makes pottery similar to that...he's a seagrove, NC potter.

User avatar
Jan 24th 13 3:21 pm
Posts: 132
Joined: Apr 4th 12 4:53 pm
Location: Londonderry, NH

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by paul haigh » Jan 24th 13 3:21 pm

AdamMY wrote:Not sure if this will help you at all, likely not as I have no clue what this style of pottery is called in China. But in Japan that sort of effect is called Nerikome, and is created by wedging/ layering/ mixing together several different colored clay bodies, that still behave well enough together to be fired together.

Yup. Agateware in the US- normally one cuts through it to expose multiple layers, like looking into a hole dug into geological strata. Most people add a colorant (metal oxide) to a clay, then mix it with uncolored clay so that they 2 clays are very similar.

I do a fair bit of this, but normally use porcelain and stoneware together so that they flash differently in the wood fire. This requires some mixing, but not too much. If it's not mixed enough then the thicker layers of porcelain crack (mostly minor S cracks in the bottom- but still unacceptable). Too much, and you lose the effect. It took a few tests to make that work well.

User avatar
Jan 24th 13 4:34 pm
Posts: 345
Joined: Apr 9th 07 7:31 pm
Location: Texas

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by tomasini » Jan 24th 13 4:34 pm

I learn something new everyday :) awesome 8)

User avatar
Jan 24th 13 7:37 pm
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 18th 13 9:38 pm
Location: France

NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by sergio » Jan 24th 13 7:37 pm

debunix wrote:Yesterday's special delivery was a few items from Petr Novak. First this little teapot caught my eye:

Image

and then I'd been wanting a little bit larger glazed teapot, to take on more of the larger-scale brewing duties at work:

Image

The black magda glaze has a wonderful subtlety--a little brown and silvery and soft matte glow:

Image

I also wanted an unglazed shiboridashi for puerh at work, and this little gem fit the bill

Image

and it came with a cup with a really nice interior

Image

and a then a drippy nuka-glazed cup snuck it's way into the cart....

Image

Wonderful stuff.
Your black magda is outstanding

What is the volume ?

I've already ordered one ..

User avatar
Jan 24th 13 8:24 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Jan 24th 13 8:24 pm

The big one is about 200mL, the little one 60mL.

User avatar
Jan 24th 13 8:43 pm
Posts: 14
Joined: Jan 18th 13 9:38 pm
Location: France

NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by sergio » Jan 24th 13 8:43 pm

debunix wrote:The big one is about 200mL, the little one 60mL.
thanks for enlighten me .