Nov 8th, '10, 13:05

Re: NEW CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XV

by David R. » Nov 8th, '10, 13:05

Wonderful kyusu ! Akira Hojo often travels on location to select his teas. He doesn't seem to have an assistant to reply to mails.

His teaware selection is also improving. My wallet often hurts because of this. :mrgreen:

Nov 8th, '10, 14:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 8th, '10, 14:08

britt wrote:My first Hojo purchase. I actually went to their website to look at the Shigaraki kyusu due to the very positive comments made on this forum, but I saw a couple of new listings for Gisui kyusu and ended up with this Tokoname instead (rough clay mogake 180ml):

I had attempted to place an order with Hojo two years ago, but due to a very slow response I ended up going elsewhere. The response this time was very fast and professional so the order was actually placed, with a follow-up tea order as well. They do have a great selection of tea and kyusu. I'm glad the forum comments about Hojo have been so positive, otherwise I may never have given them a second try.
Beautiful, congratulations!

Nov 8th, '10, 14:49

by debunix » Nov 8th, '10, 14:49

Tea has to taste better when you're watching it come out of that pot.

Nov 8th, '10, 16:43

by exquisite » Nov 8th, '10, 16:43

britt wrote:My first Hojo purchase. I actually went to their website to look at the Shigaraki kyusu due to the very positive comments made on this forum, but I saw a couple of new listings for Gisui kyusu and ended up with this Tokoname instead (rough clay mogake 180ml).
First : You did it again. Congratulations!
Second: ("just a morbid" curiosity of mine) anybody has any idea if is there a reason why some would prefer this type of rim (outside the lid), instead of the other type (covered by the lid)? Are there any practical differences or its about aesthetics ?
I mean for example the difference between:
and

Third: I really like the silhouette of your Gisui. Hope you´ll enjoy it !

Nov 8th, '10, 17:00

by Victoria » Nov 8th, '10, 17:00

I think all of mine are rimless, I'd have to look.
I think it's just a matter of preference. A beautiful
pot wouldn't matter either way to me.
:)

Nov 8th, '10, 17:56

by Chip » Nov 8th, '10, 17:56

Fantabulous kyusu, Britt. I too saw that after reading the Shigaraki topic last week I think.

exquisite, purposely rimless for two reasons.

1. I figure I would chip either the lid or the pot with the pronounced "rim."

2. I like the look of most rimless more anyway.

Britt's new kyusu has a solution to both concerns I have about rimmed, it is curved outward somewhat and I would not be so concerned about chipping.

And it is killer aesthetics, though not sure the rim has anything to do with it, but is is more subtle.

Nov 8th, '10, 19:00

by AdamMY » Nov 8th, '10, 19:00

A new Daisen ware Yunomi fresh from Mago!

Nov 8th, '10, 19:43

by David R. » Nov 8th, '10, 19:43

Great ! I have its little sister on its way from Japan too ! I love yours, congrats !

Nov 9th, '10, 02:28

by Stentor » Nov 9th, '10, 02:28

exquisite wrote:Second: ("just a morbid" curiosity of mine) anybody has any idea if is there a reason why some would prefer this type of rim (outside the lid), instead of the other type (covered by the lid)? Are there any practical differences or its about aesthetics ?
A Practical difference I could think of is that the rim may help to prevent dripping when you pour and the lid fit is not perfect.
However, in most quality kyusu this is not an issue anyway.
I like both styles!
debunix wrote:Tea has to taste better when you're watching it come out of that pot.
Exactly what I thought :)
That's an incredible kyusu, britt. Please tell us how it performs its duties ;)

Nov 9th, '10, 21:22

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 21:22

David R. wrote:Wonderful kyusu ! Akira Hojo often travels on location to select his teas. He doesn't seem to have an assistant to reply to mails.

His teaware selection is also improving. My wallet often hurts because of this. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the comments everyone! I've been filling the holes in my collection of Chinese teaware since I became unemployed in early May due to a serious lack of good stuff in that category but also because it is more affordable than a lot of Japanese teaware. The crumbling dollar has made Japanese teaware purchases even more prohibitive. What was $243 two years ago is now $307 when paying in dollars for a product priced in yen. However, I couldn't pass this one up when I saw it. I'll sacrifice a few gaiwans for this piece!

David R: Thanks for the explanation. When Akira did finally respond two years ago, his response was very polite and he canceled my neglected request with no questions asked. However, I had already made a similar purchase from another vendor when I hadn't heard from him after several days and I never really had the desire to place another order. That is, until all of the positive comments on this forum about his tea and teaware, especially the shigaraki kyusu. I have found Akira to be very easy to deal with and he always offers help in making any selection from his site, but he never pushes his advice. I hope to do more business with him in the future and I can't wait to receive my first order of tea from him.

Nov 9th, '10, 21:27

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 21:27

exquisite wrote:
britt wrote:My first Hojo purchase. I actually went to their website to look at the Shigaraki kyusu due to the very positive comments made on this forum, but I saw a couple of new listings for Gisui kyusu and ended up with this Tokoname instead (rough clay mogake 180ml).
First : You did it again. Congratulations!
Second: ("just a morbid" curiosity of mine) anybody has any idea if is there a reason why some would prefer this type of rim (outside the lid), instead of the other type (covered by the lid)? Are there any practical differences or its about aesthetics ?
I mean for example the difference between:
and

Third: I really like the silhouette of your Gisui. Hope you´ll enjoy it !
What I've found is that if you tend to fill the kyusu to the rim, the rimless type will drip when you pour. Even if you don't fill it, if you pour too quickly or too fast, especially with a narrow spout, the tea can flow out through the top. I own both types and prefer the rimmed for functional reasons, but an easy solution for the rimless is to just pour slowly. I think the rim is often for functionality and convenience and the rimless is for a more modern, cleaner look.

Nov 9th, '10, 21:33

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 21:33

Chip wrote:Fantabulous kyusu, Britt. I too saw that after reading the Shigaraki topic last week I think.

exquisite, purposely rimless for two reasons.

1. I figure I would chip either the lid or the pot with the pronounced "rim."

2. I like the look of most rimless more anyway.

Britt's new kyusu has a solution to both concerns I have about rimmed, it is curved outward somewhat and I would not be so concerned about chipping.

And it is killer aesthetics, though not sure the rim has anything to do with it, but is is more subtle.
Thanks Chip. I never thought about "Chipping" the rim, that's a good point. I do try to be careful with expensive teaware but we can all have a bad day once in a while. Fortunately my damage to teaware consists of just one cup which I didn't care much for anyway. It was a rough clay shigaraki with patches of slippery glaze in a few places. I reached into the top kitchen cabinet to take it out and when I pulled my arm back in the process, it just flew out of my hand and landed about five feet away. Needless to say, it was no longer in a useable condition!
Last edited by britt on Nov 9th, '10, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

Nov 9th, '10, 21:35

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 21:35

AdamMY wrote:Image

A new Daisen ware Yunomi fresh from Mago!
Great cup from a great vendor!

Nov 9th, '10, 21:39

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 21:39

Stentor wrote:
exquisite wrote:Second: ("just a morbid" curiosity of mine) anybody has any idea if is there a reason why some would prefer this type of rim (outside the lid), instead of the other type (covered by the lid)? Are there any practical differences or its about aesthetics ?
A Practical difference I could think of is that the rim may help to prevent dripping when you pour and the lid fit is not perfect.
However, in most quality kyusu this is not an issue anyway.
I like both styles!
debunix wrote:Tea has to taste better when you're watching it come out of that pot.
Exactly what I thought :)
That's an incredible kyusu, britt. Please tell us how it performs its duties ;)
Thanks! I should have it in a few days because it was shipped via EMS. In my haste to finalize the purchase I forgot to ask what kind of filter it had. Since I have both light-steamed and fukamashi on hand, and some light-steamed also on its way from Hojo, I guess the filter type won't really matter. The kyusu should work well with one of them, and hopefully with both.

I agree with the dripping comment on the rimless kyusu. I know the 3-4 ounce Gyokko's which I own and which are rimless, both drip if they're filled to the top or if I pour too quickly. I don't usually fill a kyusu to the rim, but the Gyoko's are so small I usually do with them.

Nov 13th, '10, 06:05

by Tead Off » Nov 13th, '10, 06:05

britt wrote:My first Hojo purchase. I actually went to their website to look at the Shigaraki kyusu due to the very positive comments made on this forum, but I saw a couple of new listings for Gisui kyusu and ended up with this Tokoname instead (rough clay mogake 180ml):

That is a real beauty.

+ Post Reply