Oct 26th, '10, 21:12

Tea burners/warmers: tea lights?

by TeaDragon » Oct 26th, '10, 21:12

One problem I face at work is that frequently my cup of tea will grow colder than I wish while I'm working on a problem. There appear to be 'tea warmers' available; some use alcohol, some use gas, and some use tea lights.

How well do tea lights work to keep a tea pot or cup warm? Does one require specific vessels to work on the gas or alcohol warmers? Is it possible to boil water on the gas/alcohol warmers?

Inquiring minds need more data. :wink:

Oct 26th, '10, 21:53
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tea burners/warmers: tea lights?

by Chip » Oct 26th, '10, 21:53

Most "lit" teawarmers are either frowned upon or illegal in the work place.

Oct 26th, '10, 23:24

by kymidwife » Oct 26th, '10, 23:24

I once tried sitting my glass pot on a candle warmer, so that I could make a larger pot of tea and keep it warm for a few hours. It kept the tea nice and warm, but in the glass pot, it quickly became apparent that something was GROWING in the tea... it looked like the very early beginnings of a bacterial colony, sort of a translucent seaweed-like thing. I stopped putting my pot on the candle warmer. :shock: Probably would have tasted fine if I hadn't seen it and known it was there... darn that glass pot. :D

I'm not sure why this happened... maybe it was warm enough to make a good culture medium, but not hot enough to deter growth. Made me reluctant to try any other "keep it warm" strategies.

Oct 26th, '10, 23:44

by auhckw » Oct 26th, '10, 23:44

How about USB warmer (that is if you work in front of computer)?

More: http://tinyurl.com/26ash9t

Oct 27th, '10, 06:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Oct 27th, '10, 06:30

I use tea light warmers when I am sitting out in the garden.

(Unless I go to the trouble of setting up my Chao Zhou stove with small Chao Zhou style teapots)

I select one of my larger Yixings (210 - 270ml), take a glass teapot as a faircup and set over the candle, making sure any wind direction does not blow out the flame.

1. It keeps the tea warm all the way down
2. it sometimes keeps the tea TOO warm and the liquor becomes over concentrated / stewed - so I try to keep the faircup at the edge or take it off for 30 seconds every 5 minutes

3. I am trying to commission Petr Novak to make double walled faircups with lids but he has been awgfully busy lately and it is work in progress "on his back burner" so to speak.

Oct 27th, '10, 06:40

by Alex » Oct 27th, '10, 06:40

Have you tried one of those double walled glass pitchers? DTH sells them....I havent use one from their but I do have a double walled glass cup 220ml from jing uk. And it keeps tea warm for ages.

Jan 9th, '20, 21:17

by kekeily » Jan 9th, '20, 21:17

TeaDragon wrote: One problem I face at work is that frequently my cup of tea will grow colder than I wish while I'm working on a problem. There appear to be 'tea warmers' available; some use alcohol, some use gas, and some use tea lights.

How well do tea lights work to keep a tea pot or cup warm? Does one require specific vessels to work on the gas or alcohol warmers? Is it possible to boil water on the gas/alcohol warmers?

Or is there any teacup warmer? Inquiring minds need more data. :wink:
There is such a thing. Usually called mug warmer, use a cup with a large bottom area to make tea, and then put it on the mug warmer, you can drink warm tea at any time. In each winter, they enhance my winter happiness.

Feb 27th, '20, 23:54

by isabellamor » Feb 27th, '20, 23:54

There are a lot of great options on Etsy, but keep in mind that tea warmers are commonly used at home.

+ Post Reply