Nov 15th 15 11:03 pm
Posts: 82
Joined: Jun 6th 14 1:54 am

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Zacherywolf7 » Nov 15th 15 11:03 pm

Out of curiosity (my apologies as this has probably been said somewhere on this forum) how do the teas put into a cup affect how it cracks on the inside when the seller/potter has said it will and you can already see the lines where it will? Will aged puerh make it darker and more noticeable as compared to taiwanese high mountain oolong?

Thanks.

User avatar
Nov 16th 15 2:04 am
Posts: 298
Joined: Jan 22nd 15 4:27 am
Location: Chicago

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by pedant » Nov 16th 15 2:04 am

Zacherywolf7 wrote:Out of curiosity (my apologies as this has probably been said somewhere on this forum) how do the teas put into a cup affect how it cracks on the inside when the seller/potter has said it will and you can already see the lines where it will? Will aged puerh make it darker and more noticeable as compared to taiwanese high mountain oolong?

Thanks.
given that even vibrant green tea residues seem to fade to yellow and then to brown (judging from tea stains on surfaces i've neglected to wipe up...), i kind of doubt there would be much of a difference. it just might take a bit longer for dark staining in teaware cracks to build up with lighter colored teas.

User avatar
Dec 8th 15 10:28 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 611
Joined: Feb 5th 10 10:32 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by blairswhitaker » Dec 8th 15 10:28 pm

Here the some of the shop pots we use here at Mad Monk Tea, we have been doing a lot of side handle brewing lately!

Image

User avatar
Dec 13th 15 6:28 pm
Posts: 1675
Joined: May 22nd 09 8:23 am
Location: Northern California

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Seeker » Dec 13th 15 6:28 pm

I love your corner shelving display! Looks beautiful, especially against the bamboo and wood.

User avatar
Apr 30th 16 4:46 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Not really about the pots or cups....

by debunix » Apr 30th 16 4:46 pm

This is not about the pots or cups, but about a couple of new non-ceramic items from Darjeeling.cz that are so perfect and need to be shared.

First up is a tea scoop and tea pick from Ondřej Sedlák, which does a great job of showing off this Jin Chuan Xiang Tun Lu from last year's amazing green tea tasting set from Tea Habitat, quietly photogenic but not overwhelming the clear display of the leaf:

Image

The pick does a good job of herding leaves into smaller pots that are narrower than the opening of the scoop.

And next is a tea ware pouch from Studio Edgart, which cradles and protects my teacups....

Image

.....so they are snug as a bug in a rug....

Image

....when the strings are tugged...

Image

....and can't fall out while being carried from my office to meeting or workrooms around the campus.

Image

It's much better looking than the little basket I used to use, plus: no drips.

Image

User avatar
May 1st 16 5:35 pm
Posts: 1255
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm

Re: Not really about the pots or cups....

by JRS22 » May 1st 16 5:35 pm

debunix wrote:This is not about the pots or cups, but about a couple of new non-ceramic items from Darjeeling.cz that are so perfect and need to be shared.

First up is a tea scoop and tea pick from Ondřej Sedlák, which does a great job of showing off this Jin Chuan Xiang Tun Lu from last year's amazing green tea tasting set from Tea Habitat, quietly photogenic but not overwhelming the clear display of the leaf:

Image

The pick does a good job of herding leaves into smaller pots that are narrower than the opening of the scoop.
I bought two of these wooden spoons last year as souvenirs. The end of the handle works well as a tea scoop for pots with small openings. The wood grain isn't ideal for showing off the tea, but then the spoon was probably made for soup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
May 1st 16 8:44 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » May 1st 16 8:44 pm

That is a lovely piece, but the wood is so striking it would detract from the tea in a photograph. But looking out for interesting wooden spoons of an appropriate size is a good idea for additions to the collection.....

User avatar
May 1st 16 10:43 pm
Posts: 1255
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by JRS22 » May 1st 16 10:43 pm

This spoon is designed to be an eating utensil, not a cooking tool. It's less than 6" long. I wasn't buying it for tea so that's a bonus. I also bought two tiny cups that were meant for dipping sauces. They work well as gyokuro cups for me.

User avatar
May 3rd 16 1:08 am
Posts: 17
Joined: Mar 18th 16 2:35 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Griff » May 3rd 16 1:08 am

@debunix Those are beautiful accessories, and your photography is absolutely eye-popping. :shock: Very nice! :mrgreen:

User avatar
May 3rd 16 1:28 am
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » May 3rd 16 1:28 am

Griff wrote:@debunix Those are beautiful accessories, and your photography is absolutely eye-popping. :shock: Very nice! :mrgreen:
thanks

User avatar
May 3rd 16 2:22 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3139
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by jayinhk » May 3rd 16 2:22 am

I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!

User avatar
May 3rd 16 1:48 pm
Posts: 1255
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by JRS22 » May 3rd 16 1:48 pm

jayinhk wrote:I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!
That could be. I bought the spoons in Cambodia, in Siem Reap, and there were no matching chopsticks. I have chopsticks from Thailand that came with matching spoons, but this was from a workshop for teaching people how to carve, and the shop was really aimed at tourists.

User avatar
May 3rd 16 1:58 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 3139
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by jayinhk » May 3rd 16 1:58 pm

JRS22 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!
That could be. I bought the spoons in Cambodia, in Siem Reap, and there were no matching chopsticks. I have chopsticks from Thailand that came with matching spoons, but this was from a workshop for teaching people how to carve, and the shop was really aimed at tourists.
I got a ten-pack of coconut palm wood chopsticks in a supermarket in Vietnam...coconut palm wood is so tough they'll probably outlast me! The same wood is used for fighting sticks in Filipino martial arts today, and while not quite as heavy as the ebony that is classically used for heavy sticks, it is far more durable.

I just learned it's a pretty eco-friendly alternative to hardwood, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_timber

User avatar
Jun 4th 16 8:13 pm
Posts: 594
Joined: Dec 13th 10 7:04 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by hopeofdawn » Jun 4th 16 8:13 pm

After travelling away from home for the last three weeks, I FINALLY had time to sit down this morning on my freshly-scrubbed balcony, and enjoy a beautiful morning with tea. So I thought I'd share. Teapot and cup by Petr, server by Yi Yong Cheol--boy, I miss his work!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jun 5th 16 5:50 am
Posts: 82
Joined: Nov 13th 14 2:34 am
Location: U.S

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by jpo1933 » Jun 5th 16 5:50 am

great posts recently!
And who snapped up most of the gisui pots in AN? :lol:
Guess he's back on the wheel again?