Sep 14th, '12, 04:31
Vendor Member

Re: Bamboo Cups?

by SilentChaos » Sep 14th, '12, 04:31

I had a bamboo cup before. It was ... rather big, and it split almost right in half :shock:

Sep 14th, '12, 08:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 14th, '12, 08:19

Hoping that doesn't happen to mine, but since I do work with wood quite often, I think I can provide a barrier to moisture exchange with the mineral oil. However, since RedBaron's advice earlier, I've decided to try a new method for appreciating my pu erh.

This cup is modern, with a definite nod to the cups used in the Qing Dynasty. It is significantly more flared than my bamboo cup. I now see what RedBaron was talking about. This cup definitely aims the stream of pu right where it should, which results in both the aroma and flavor being optimally directed for the most holistic appreciation of China's finest tea:

http://mojoimage.com/free-image-hosting ... to-66-.JPG
Last edited by jayinhk on Sep 14th, '12, 08:45, edited 2 times in total.

Sep 14th, '12, 08:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 14th, '12, 08:34

:lol:

Apr 6th, '17, 01:40

by Sanjalee Herath » Apr 6th, '17, 01:40

Bamboo cups try to split because they have not preserved before making. To avoid the splitting bamboo stem parts should boil with Neem seed and salt. Neem seed is protecting bamboo from the harm of insects and salt reduces the fungal growth of the bamboo surface. this is a natural method to use, if not Boric and Borax chemicals are used to boil the bamboo stem. Bu for the food grade items natural method is highly recommended. The stain can be applied on the outer surface only. The inner part of bamboo, produces yellowish powder witch contains silica amount that helps to grow your hair and beautify your skin. let the tea mix with the powder. With the time you will have the health benefits of drinking tea in a bamboo cup. :wink:

Apr 6th, '17, 14:41

by Psyck » Apr 6th, '17, 14:41

jayinhk wrote: Re the mold and cracking issue, I just treated the exterior, rim and bottom of the cup with food grade mineral oil, and I will give it at least two or three more coats over the next few days. The interior membrane effectively seals off the cup from liquid, and also prevents the cup from holding any aromas. This may just be healthier to use than my porcelain cups, and I feel the very light aroma of bamboo complements the pu erh and liu'an I like to drink quite nicely, since both are traditionally stored in bamboo husk and leaf.
When I apply layers of tung oil coating to my wooden items, the coating lasts perfectly fine for normal usage. However, if they come in contact with very hot items, the coating wears off fast. I think the coating won't last too long if used for very hot teas.

Apr 6th, '17, 15:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 6th, '17, 15:26

Psyck wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Re the mold and cracking issue, I just treated the exterior, rim and bottom of the cup with food grade mineral oil, and I will give it at least two or three more coats over the next few days. The interior membrane effectively seals off the cup from liquid, and also prevents the cup from holding any aromas. This may just be healthier to use than my porcelain cups, and I feel the very light aroma of bamboo complements the pu erh and liu'an I like to drink quite nicely, since both are traditionally stored in bamboo husk and leaf.
When I apply layers of tung oil coating to my wooden items, the coating lasts perfectly fine for normal usage. However, if they come in contact with very hot items, the coating wears off fast. I think the coating won't last too long if used for very hot teas.
I can see that--the oil would get runny with heat. My bamboo cup and tea tables both have held up just fine with no cracks. HK humidity helps!

Apr 6th, '17, 15:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 6th, '17, 15:28

Sanjalee Herath wrote: Bamboo cups try to split because they have not preserved before making. To avoid the splitting bamboo stem parts should boil with Neem seed and salt. Neem seed is protecting bamboo from the harm of insects and salt reduces the fungal growth of the bamboo surface. this is a natural method to use.
I don't think anyone outside the Indian subcontinent uses neem with any regularity, unless they're into natural medicine/organic farming. Great natural pesticide though.

Apr 6th, '17, 18:46

by victoria3 » Apr 6th, '17, 18:46

jayinhk wrote:
Sanjalee Herath wrote: Bamboo cups try to split because they have not preserved before making. To avoid the splitting bamboo stem parts should boil with Neem seed and salt. Neem seed is protecting bamboo from the harm of insects and salt reduces the fungal growth of the bamboo surface. this is a natural method to use.
I don't think anyone outside the Indian subcontinent uses neem with any regularity, unless they're into natural medicine/organic farming. Great natural pesticide though.
It's easy to find here in the US for mite prevention on plants etc.

Apr 6th, '17, 22:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 6th, '17, 22:09

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Right, I've bought neem oil from the US because you can get the deodorized kind there. The standard Indian kind reeks to high hell!

Apr 18th, '17, 12:26

by Sanjalee Herath » Apr 18th, '17, 12:26

jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Right, I've bought neem oil from the US because you can get the deodorized kind there. The standard Indian kind reeks to high hell!
Hello! I am an undergraduate of University of Moratuwa and I am following a degree on design. In this year level 02 design students have to make some sort of a designer product out of bamboo for the 1st semester 2nd project. While we design we have to improve our entrepreneurship skills according to the design brief. Therefore I am researching about the bamboo material. My product is bamboo tea cups and that's why I am interested in this tea chat. You can view my Instagram profile " Sandanjana Herath" and there are the cup designs. So thank you for commenting because it is part of my learning process. If you have any ideas about the bamboo material or bamboo tea cups, please let me know. My email is janaajalee@gmail.com :) Thank you!

Apr 18th, '17, 14:02

by Psyck » Apr 18th, '17, 14:02

jayinhk wrote: I can see that--the oil would get runny with heat. My bamboo cup and tea tables both have held up just fine with no cracks. HK humidity helps!
Yeah, even with my humidity, I do not have to worry about any wooden stuff cracking, the polish is just for looks. With HK humidity, cracking due to dryness is certainly ruled out.
jayinhk wrote: Right, I've bought neem oil from the US because you can get the deodorized kind there. The standard Indian kind reeks to high hell!
I didn't even know deodorised neem oil existed! I use the regular stinky version for my plants :)

Apr 19th, '17, 05:52
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 19th, '17, 05:52

Psyck wrote:
jayinhk wrote: I can see that--the oil would get runny with heat. My bamboo cup and tea tables both have held up just fine with no cracks. HK humidity helps!
Yeah, even with my humidity, I do not have to worry about any wooden stuff cracking, the polish is just for looks. With HK humidity, cracking due to dryness is certainly ruled out.
jayinhk wrote: Right, I've bought neem oil from the US because you can get the deodorized kind there. The standard Indian kind reeks to high hell!
I didn't even know deodorised neem oil existed! I use the regular stinky version for my plants :)
Here in HK the humidity can get down into the 20-40% range on certain days, but not at this time of year. It's HOT here and the humidity has been 60-90% for the last week. Some of my Xiaguan tuos are in the original paper bags and the bags look like they've really soaked up some moisture, and then dryed out; they look crinkled. The tea had a harsh but clean aroma fresh from Kunming; now it smells milder and smoother and you can tell it's doing its thing. It's fun smelling tea break down like that over time!

Apr 19th, '17, 08:27

by Psyck » Apr 19th, '17, 08:27

Hot & humid here too, it rains here whenever it gets too hot in summer - to the extent that we often even get hailstorms in the middle of summer :)

+ Post Reply