Feb 9th, '13, 00:47

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

by Maneki Neko » Feb 9th, '13, 00:47

Hopeofdawn, thanks for that link. Wooden spoon, little brush...that's what I need :D

Actually I barely touched the ball filter when taking out the leaves. They got stuck mostly around the edge of the ball rather than in the holes. Oh well, a toothpick and a bit of manual dexterity... :wink:

Feb 9th, '13, 01:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 9th, '13, 01:05

... just be careful of the spout tip when cleaning ... lest you hear that sickening, dull clunk ... and have the resulting chipped spout.

A little practice and you will get the hang of things. But IMHO, the less you stick in the Kyusu during cleaning, the better and easier the cleaning will ultimately be.

Why is your tap bad? Is it a water quality issue? We have extremely hard water here but the rinsing has never been a problem.

Feb 9th, '13, 01:16

by Maneki Neko » Feb 9th, '13, 01:16

Nah, it's just the junk they add... chlorine and fluoride :roll: Last thing I want to happen to my kyusu apart from breaking, is it absorbing this gunk! But Melbourne water is quite soft. Gonna have to save money for a super-filter...

Feb 9th, '13, 01:24

by Chip » Feb 9th, '13, 01:24

Clay screens can break as well. Rinsing with water will likely never break a screen ... a physical object bouncing around in there could. The screens having lots of holes can have a weak spot.

I also forgot, once the leaf bits dry completely, they can be very easily broken to pieces with your finger which will dislodge them from your screen. Some pieces will fall through the spout and some will fall in the kyusu.

Feb 9th, '13, 01:29

by Maneki Neko » Feb 9th, '13, 01:29

Whoah, no toothpicks anymore!

Thanks for the warning! Although careful, I'm quite a noobie with kyusus. Never used a Banko or any other kyusu before.

Feb 9th, '13, 11:46

by Alex » Feb 9th, '13, 11:46

Yeah I just rinse and dump three times with my kyusu and that gets out the lot. If little bits of leaves get stuck in the filter.....so be it...they will dry and most likely become unstuck when I next pre-heat the pot. Then just dry with the lid off.

Nice first pot BTW. IMO the best bang for buck pot out there by a long way. Was my first pot too many years ago :mrgreen:

Feb 9th, '13, 18:18
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Feb 9th, '13, 18:18

Untitled by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

kyusu, tachi masaki. yunomi, mukukara kashun. yuzamashi, mukuhara kashun

Feb 9th, '13, 23:17

by Tead Off » Feb 9th, '13, 23:17

Maneki Neko wrote:Nah, it's just the junk they add... chlorine and fluoride :roll: Last thing I want to happen to my kyusu apart from breaking, is it absorbing this gunk! But Melbourne water is quite soft. Gonna have to save money for a super-filter...
Chip's advice about cleaning is very good. I also use hot water from the faucet and run it through the spout. This clears the filter of any bits of leaves adhering to it after dumping the bulk of the leaves into the garbage. I have a similar Masaki kyusu. It cleans quite well as I've described. I use my finger to sweep out any remaining cluster of tea after I shake the kyusu over a receptacle to get the leaves out. Then rinse as described. I wouldn't worry about the water. Can't be worse than Bangkok tap water and it hasn't ruined my pots by cleaning them with it.

Feb 9th, '13, 23:20

by Chip » Feb 9th, '13, 23:20

blairswhitaker wrote:Image
Untitled by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

kyusu, tachi masaki. yunomi, mukukara kashun. yuzamashi, mukuhara kashun
Very cool and eclectic group! Each so different from the other yet each quite beautiful.

Feb 10th, '13, 01:46

by Alex » Feb 10th, '13, 01:46

Lovely picture.

*strokes siggy pot* :mrgreen:

Feb 10th, '13, 08:21

by Maneki Neko » Feb 10th, '13, 08:21

Once again thanks for all your tips :wink:

Alex, what happened to that first pot?

This one's indeed very affordable compared to the other Masakis I've seen. I think it's gorgeous in its soft simplicity. But what's the difference between the expensive ones and the cheaper ones? Mainly decoration or also other aspects?

Feb 10th, '13, 08:25

by Maneki Neko » Feb 10th, '13, 08:25

Blairswhitaker, your pot looks exactly the same as mine except that it has a slightly different surface colour or texture. Is yours also the Hiramaru?

Feb 10th, '13, 13:38

by Alex » Feb 10th, '13, 13:38

Maneki Neko wrote:Once again thanks for all your tips :wink:

Alex, what happened to that first pot?

This one's indeed very affordable compared to the other Masakis I've seen. I think it's gorgeous in its soft simplicity. But what's the difference between the expensive ones and the cheaper ones? Mainly decoration or also other aspects?
I believe those cheaper ones are only half hand made. The fit and finish is also in a different league on the more expensive pieces. They are a touch cheaper also due to lack of decoration but as you can see from yuuki-cha the difference is only about $10 from the next one up which is decorate. Someone with more knowledge can chime in and outline the differences better.

My first pot is with a friend and still going strong. Its a superb pot. There's simply nothing even close for the price and clay.

The pot Blairswhitaker posted is the brother of my Shigaraki which was purchased from here

http://hojotea.com/item_e/available.htm

Have a browse :twisted:

Feb 10th, '13, 13:49
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Feb 10th, '13, 13:49

Maneki Neko wrote:Blairswhitaker, your pot looks exactly the same as mine except that it has a slightly different surface colour or texture. Is yours also the Hiramaru?
this is a tachi masaki shigaraki pot, from Hojo tea. It is made of a special clay (you can read all about it on hojo's web site). It's actually a bit smaller than your hiramaru at 180ml and it also is fully handmade.

Feb 10th, '13, 19:44

by debunix » Feb 10th, '13, 19:44

Hoping that this little problem will soon be a thing of the past....

Petr's large chawan just doesn't fit well on this small bamboo tea tray with a shiboridashi and a yuzamashi.

+ Post Reply