Feb 13th, '13, 03:07

My aunt is making me a teapot.

by futurebird » Feb 13th, '13, 03:07

My aunt is quite expert at pottery, though I don't think she's done teaware before. I asked her to make me a teapot and she said she'd give it a try (feeling very lucky) --

I'm hoping she can make something small, gong fu sized, out of a porous clay.

Are there any resources I could point her too? She's really good with most clays so I don't think she needs anything basic, but she is new to tea.

Feb 13th, '13, 07:34

Re: My aunt is making me a teapot.

by JRS22 » Feb 13th, '13, 07:34

I'm not an expert potter but my teacher is. I found the most difficult part of making a teapot was creating a functional spout. If you want something really small then perhaps you should show her photos of hobins with pouring 'lips' rather than spouts. I was able to make one like that with a built in strainer, so I'm sure your aunt will be able to make a better one (thinner, smaller, better fitting lid).

Feb 13th, '13, 08:20

by paul haigh » Feb 13th, '13, 08:20

The spout should taper all the way to the opening. This keeps a pressure increase to the spout- if it widened, then there would be a pressure drop and a possibility of gurgling.

The spout twists in the direction of clay twist (if thrown) during the firing- so if it's cut at an angle, that angle will twist a bit and not be level. Many potters will compensate a bit when they cut the spout.

The "fatal flaw" in a teapot is when the spout lip is lower than the level to which the pot will be filled so that when it's filled up, water is coming out the spout.

Porous clay normally implies low-fire, so find out if she's doing stoneware temps or earthenware temps.

Any potter could go on and on about teapot design. It would be best to get a decent book- Robbin Hopper has a few great texts on functional pottery design that I like.

Feb 13th, '13, 12:54

by futurebird » Feb 13th, '13, 12:54

Thanks. I'll let her know.

+ Post Reply