May 30th, '14, 13:15

Teapot recommendation?

by saxon75 » May 30th, '14, 13:15

The glass teapot I was using at my office broke yesterday, so I'm looking for something to replace it and I was wondering if anyone here might have a recommendation.

The most important qualities I'm looking for are that it be non-porous, sturdy, and in the neighborhood of 250 ml/8 fl oz. Glazed earthenware, bone china, and porcelain would all be good, as long as the inside is also glazed. Glass would be fine as long as it's fairly thick and not too delicate. Metal and plastic are also fine. Some sort of filter would also be good--I prefer integral filters (ball-type, direct hole, or sasame) or built-in screens (spring-type, sasame, or obi-ame) to infuser baskets, but I'm not terribly picky.

I imagine that many people will recommend a gaiwan, but while I do use a gaiwan at home sometimes, I prefer a teapot for the office.

Thanks for your help!

May 30th, '14, 13:42

Re: Teapot recommendation?

by dan88 » May 30th, '14, 13:42

I use the Kati Tea Brewing System from Tea Forte brand. I have their tumbler with red flowers (Cherry blossoms). I purchased mine at the barns n noble store. Good quality double-wall ceramic tumbler. That brand also has PUGG Ceramic Teapot (PUGG’s cheerful attitude and foolproof brewing system will become a lifetime companion to any tea lover). Amazon also has them.

May 30th, '14, 13:45

by bonescwa » May 30th, '14, 13:45

saxon75 wrote:The glass teapot I was using at my office broke yesterday, so I'm looking for something to replace it and I was wondering if anyone here might have a recommendation.

The most important qualities I'm looking for are that it be non-porous, sturdy, and in the neighborhood of 250 ml/8 fl oz. Glazed earthenware, bone china, and porcelain would all be good, as long as the inside is also glazed. Glass would be fine as long as it's fairly thick and not too delicate. Metal and plastic are also fine. Some sort of filter would also be good--I prefer integral filters (ball-type, direct hole, or sasame) or built-in screens (spring-type, sasame, or obi-ame) to infuser baskets, but I'm not terribly picky.

I imagine that many people will recommend a gaiwan, but while I do use a gaiwan at home sometimes, I prefer a teapot for the office.

Thanks for your help!
What do you usually brew at work?

May 30th, '14, 13:57

by saxon75 » May 30th, '14, 13:57

I brew a pretty wide variety of teas at work. Taiwanese gaoshan oolong, Chinese greens (usually longjing and huangshan maofeng), and shou pu-erh are all staples. Also Yunnan blacks and Darjeelings. I also go through phases with other oolongs--green and roasted TGY, yancha, dan cong, GABA, and charcoal-roasted Dong Ding.

I also drink a fair amount of sencha, but I have a separate kyusu for that. Anyway, you can see why non-porous would be important.

May 30th, '14, 14:01

by saxon75 » May 30th, '14, 14:01

dan88 wrote:I use the Kati Tea Brewing System from Tea Forte brand. I have their tumbler with red flowers (Cherry blossoms). I purchased mine at the barns n noble store. Good quality double-wall ceramic tumbler. That brand also has PUGG Ceramic Teapot (PUGG’s cheerful attitude and foolproof brewing system will become a lifetime companion to any tea lover). Amazon also has them.
Thanks for the recommendation. The PUGG teapots at 24 oz are quite a bit bigger than what I'm looking for, but they are nice looking. I'd consider something like the Kati infusers, but I really prefer a teapot to an infuser mug.

May 30th, '14, 14:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 30th, '14, 14:22

Perhaps a "Petr pot" from our teaware artisans. His screens are direct wall that he pushes in slightly. Not suitable for fukamushi, but will work well for just about anything else.

They are sturdy. The lids are insert style, so you won't likely break a lid.

He will also make a pot for you. Just spec the interior glaze!

You can also choose the handle style you want from back to side (kyusu).

May 30th, '14, 14:30

by saxon75 » May 30th, '14, 14:30

I do love Petr's work.

May 30th, '14, 14:46

by Evan Draper » May 30th, '14, 14:46

8 oz is an interesting size: small for western style, but bigger for gongfu wares. I get heavy use out of ~12 oz glass infuser mugs like these and keep two or more on hand. I've been meaning to pick up a porcelain pot like these, but they're smaller than what you asked for. But I do have a teapot that I use infrequently that fits the bill exactly.... No screen, but you could buy or make a wire one.

May 30th, '14, 14:57

by saxon75 » May 30th, '14, 14:57

Yeah, the size is what made my own searches a little difficult. I can find a lot in the 130-180 ml range, and a lot in the 24+ oz range, but 8 oz is a little difficult, especially for neutral vessels. (I've found a number of unglazed clay kyusu in the 7-9 oz range, but as beautiful as they are, they don't fit my needs.)

May 30th, '14, 15:27

by debunix » May 30th, '14, 15:27

In the office, I get most used out of an 8 oz kyusu with glazed interior by Petr Novak, and a Yi Yong Cheol celadon porcelain pot from TeadOff. I keep some other glazed and unglazed wares but the nonporous ceramic and slightly larger size are just right for everyday office use.

Jun 12th, '14, 16:52

by saxon75 » Jun 12th, '14, 16:52

What do you guys think of this kyusu: http://www.denstea.com/teapots-cups-shi ... 5_327.html

Would this be able to handle multiple teas without holding onto flavors/aromas?

Jun 12th, '14, 17:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 12th, '14, 17:22

It is good for what it is ... a fully glazed, bomb proof Kyusu for less than 20$.

Many TCers have bought one including me ... though I gave mine to my sis as a starter Kyusu.

Jun 13th, '14, 03:54

by Alex » Jun 13th, '14, 03:54

This one from Hibiki is great
MantenKyusu_B03.jpg
MantenKyusu_B03.jpg (11.36 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
MantenKyusu_A01.jpg
MantenKyusu_A01.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 2444 times

Its my most used kyusu, very durable....use it everywhere. Care free and easily replaceable. Great filter as well. Mostly use it for brewing Assam.

Jun 13th, '14, 08:44

by JRS22 » Jun 13th, '14, 08:44

Chip wrote:It is good for what it is ... a fully glazed, bomb proof Kyusu for less than 20$.

Many TCers have bought one including me ... though I gave mine to my sis as a starter Kyusu.
I started out with that pot + a small white porcelain pot from Tea Trekker, also $20. They've been replaced in my life by Teaware artisan pots so I gave both to my sister. Lucky sibs.

Tead Off posted some new glazed pots a few days ago.

Dec 26th, '14, 16:37

by Maple » Dec 26th, '14, 16:37

Alex wrote:This one from Hibiki is great
MantenKyusu_B03.jpg
MantenKyusu_A01.jpg

Its my most used kyusu, very durable....use it everywhere. Care free and easily replaceable. Great filter as well. Mostly use it for brewing Assam.
I'm a newbie in the world of Japanese tea and matcha and have been battling whether to get this as my first kyusu or keep looking. I'm apprehensive about it because I don't know how it performs i.e. does it pour cleanly or does it dribbles down the neck of the spout? Since you have it, could you do a review, please? Here is a blog which has a video on how I'm hoping the Manten kyusu you got from Hibiki-an should pour:

http://anotherteablog.blogspot.ca/2007/ ... kyusu.html

Thank you very much, Alex

+ Post Reply