Oct 3rd, '15, 13:59

DIY Charcoal Stove

by miig » Oct 3rd, '15, 13:59

Hi everyone,
after eying the Japanese beauties for quite some time, I got me a nice Tetsubin from Jauce. Now, I'd like to venture into Charcoal heating, too, and since the ovens are rare and expensive, I thought I could make one myself, too.

I'd go with the instructions on this document:
Engineers Without Borders - Upesi Stove, but stay closer to an Chaozhou Stove as far as the design is concerned: Nothing fancy, basically a cylinder with an opening at the bottom and a sieve at half heigt.

Is there someone who has some tips for me, especially according to the clay? Can I use regular clay or is there some kind of magic ingredient which will improve heat resistance?
It doesn't have to be a miracle as far as aesthetics are concerned.. I'd just be happy to get something together which will work reasonably well in heating the pot in 20 minutes or so without using excessive amounts of charcoal and which can handle the heat without falling apart right away.

I'd be happy about any advice :) Thanks for reading.

Oct 3rd, '15, 14:13

Re: DIY Charcoal Stove

by bintuborg » Oct 3rd, '15, 14:13

Woohoo! Engineers without borders!

...If you wanted to make one yourself, you need access to a kiln. I would recommend taking a pottery class...

Oct 3rd, '15, 15:51

Re: DIY Charcoal Stove

by miig » Oct 3rd, '15, 15:51

Oh, yes, thats right! We've got something like this here. All the tools are here, the clay and the oven too, as well as people who know the subject.
Amateurs come, pay a fee and the material they use and then can play around the clay, with as much or as little guidance as they want.

But people do cups, flower pots, vases and the like, and the occasional sculpture. But I'm quite sure even the teachers there are not too familiar with small clay ovens, thats why I wanted to get some info :)

+ Post Reply