Nov 21st 16 2:39 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: May 27th 12 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, MA

bombilla, tea straw

by ethan » Nov 21st 16 2:39 pm

Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

Fortunately, I dislike this beverage so am not confronted w/ the moral dilemma involved in a product (yerba mate) which is harvested by children who do not attend school. I am attracted to the bombilla.

Nov 22nd 16 2:51 am
Posts: 745
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by Bok » Nov 22nd 16 2:51 am

ethan wrote:Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

Fortunately, I dislike this beverage so am not confronted w/ the moral dilemma involved in a product (yerba mate) which is harvested by children who do not attend school. I am attracted to the bombilla.
The other crazy thing about this metal straw is that there is no way not to burn your tongue… I once asked Urugayan friends how they do it, and they simply replied “you just get used to it” …

There seems to be a higher rate of mouth located cancers though among avid yerba mate consumers like the gouchos :oops:

User avatar
Nov 22nd 16 6:03 am
Posts: 325
Joined: Feb 19th 13 5:40 am

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by yalokinh » Nov 22nd 16 6:03 am

Bok wrote:
ethan wrote:Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

Fortunately, I dislike this beverage so am not confronted w/ the moral dilemma involved in a product (yerba mate) which is harvested by children who do not attend school. I am attracted to the bombilla.
The other crazy thing about this metal straw is that there is no way not to burn your tongue… I once asked Urugayan friends how they do it, and they simply replied “you just get used to it” …

There seems to be a higher rate of mouth located cancers though among avid yerba mate consumers like the gouchos :oops:
I can't imagine drinking yerba with anything hotter than 130°F, that's just painful.

User avatar
Nov 22nd 16 12:09 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 3131
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by jayinhk » Nov 22nd 16 12:09 pm

yalokinh wrote:
Bok wrote:
ethan wrote:Saw a metal straw (strainer/filter) used to drink yerba mate from a glass holding the yerba mate leaves (along w/ some added ingredients for more flavor) & the brew. A lot of leaf is put in the glass which is filled once w/ some cold water (which to be sucked up a straw only to be spit out) & refilled w/ off-the-boil water for about 2 hours of drinking for family & friends sharing the one glass & one straw. The straw is a strainer w/ a wide bottom that fans out > 1/2 inch & has tiny holes to pull the liquid up. In Argentina called bombilla (which translates as light bulb & is not pronouinced as it looks).

Fortunately, I dislike this beverage so am not confronted w/ the moral dilemma involved in a product (yerba mate) which is harvested by children who do not attend school. I am attracted to the bombilla.
The other crazy thing about this metal straw is that there is no way not to burn your tongue… I once asked Urugayan friends how they do it, and they simply replied “you just get used to it” …

There seems to be a higher rate of mouth located cancers though among avid yerba mate consumers like the gouchos :oops:
I can't imagine drinking yerba with anything hotter than 130°F, that's just painful.
Yep, gotta drink mate cool or you'll think young factory sheng is sweet in comparison! I can't drink mate--makes me a nervous, jittery wreck!

The standard bombillas are cheap metal. I'm sure there are better stainless ones out there. I had a glass/mesh/plastic one for coffee that worked quite well, but it let fine grit through.

Nov 22nd 16 3:37 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: May 27th 12 4:47 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by ethan » Nov 22nd 16 3:37 pm

Amazon offers these. The ? is, would we use them? While one is drinking, tea continues steeping.

User avatar
Nov 22nd 16 4:30 pm
Vendor Member
Posts: 3131
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by jayinhk » Nov 22nd 16 4:30 pm

Grandpa brewing. A smsll amount of leaf in a lot of water

User avatar
Nov 23rd 16 8:54 pm
Posts: 325
Joined: Feb 19th 13 5:40 am

Re: bombilla, tea straw

by yalokinh » Nov 23rd 16 8:54 pm

jayinhk wrote:Grandpa brewing. A smsll amount of leaf in a lot of water
I do 1/2 of a 120ml gourd, water temp at 130°F, not to much different than gong fu really, the only problem begin the first two infusions will kick you in the teeth. It is possible to do a ton of leaf