Jan 8th, '17, 10:41

Real or fake - opinions wanted

by Balthazar » Jan 8th, '17, 10:41

I try to follow the tea pots offerings on Norway's biggest auctioning site. Most of the time it's pretty boring stuff, with European "designer brand" porcelain dominating, but every once in a while a more interesting offering comes out.

This pot (see link to pics below) is purported to be from the early 20th century. The salesperson suggests that it's "probably" from the early 20th century, I am assuming it's something she's been told by the previous owner (from her other offerings it's clear that she has picked up quite a bit of antiques - of course that doesn't say anything about whether or not her stuff has any value or are mostly replicas.)

What do you think?

Image 1
Image 2
Image3
Image4
Image5

Jan 8th, '17, 17:23

Re: Real or fake - opinions wanted

by theredbaron » Jan 8th, '17, 17:23

Balthazar wrote:I try to follow the tea pots offerings on Norway's biggest auctioning site. Most of the time it's pretty boring stuff, with European "designer brand" porcelain dominating, but every once in a while a more interesting offering comes out.

This pot (see link to pics below) is purported to be from the early 20th century. The salesperson suggests that it's "probably" from the early 20th century, I am assuming it's something she's been told by the previous owner (from her other offerings it's clear that she has picked up quite a bit of antiques - of course that doesn't say anything about whether or not her stuff has any value or are mostly replicas.)

What do you think?

Image 1
Image 2
Image3
Image4
Image5

My non-expert view would be fake.

Jan 8th, '17, 18:08

by pizzapotamus » Jan 8th, '17, 18:08

I have absolutely no experience with Chinese teapots, but I'm not even sure how from those photos one could even really tell the difference between real and a shoe polish exterior. That's no proof if it's fake or deliberate deception by the seller but for something that's faked as much as teapots seem to be I'd stick to only trusted vendors or very small amounts of money I didn't mind wasting.

Jan 9th, '17, 01:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 9th, '17, 01:37

pizzapotamus wrote:I have absolutely no experience with Chinese teapots, but I'm not even sure how from those photos one could even really tell the difference between real and a shoe polish exterior. That's no proof if it's fake or deliberate deception by the seller but for something that's faked as much as teapots seem to be I'd stick to only trusted vendors or very small amounts of money I didn't mind wasting.
That's the conclusion I've come to after losing $1,000 to a scammer who knew he was selling Factory 1 knockoffs! I managed to get $255 back. I still haven't let the cops/HK Customs know about the issue. Well, I have, but I haven't filed formal reports yet.

Jan 9th, '17, 03:16

by Bok » Jan 9th, '17, 03:16

That yellow looks way to bright to me to be very old. The intensity of the colour makes me think it is probably not a food-safe one.

Jan 9th, '17, 03:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 9th, '17, 03:28

Looks modern and not very good to me

Jan 10th, '17, 16:11

by Balthazar » Jan 10th, '17, 16:11

Thanks guys! Agree on the general sentiment here, I too found the colors too intense (as if it had gone through the photoshop processing of an unexperienced hand). Won't be picking it up.

Jan 25th, '17, 23:52

by steanze » Jan 25th, '17, 23:52

very very fake

+ Post Reply