Mar 30th, '17, 18:14
Vendor Member

different parameters for the same tea in various pots

by ethan » Mar 30th, '17, 18:14

Preparing a very good, lightly oxidized/well roasted oolong, High Roller, twice yesterday; I noted that the best temperature for porcelain gaiwan is lower than the best temperature for using my unglazed in/glazed outside pot (need a simple name for this pot).

Bok has written that it might be wiser to work on mastering the teaware we have, rather than to work on acquiring more & more teaware. It has taken longer than it should have taken me to know that some of my teaware might call for lower temperature & some for higher (at least w/ certain teas).

Making High Roller today confirmed what I noticed yesterday & convinced me that although I won't be writing & reading notes all the time etc., there is enough difference to be aware.... just 3C hotter can give quite significantly more enjoyable drinking, e.g. cheers

Mar 31st, '17, 01:37

Re: different parameters for the same tea in various pots

by onjinone » Mar 31st, '17, 01:37

Different cups, gaiwans, and teapots definitely affect taste but I guess it's too easy to overlook trying to really master controlling consistency with each one. So you're right, it's definitely worth anyone's while to try to master the teaware we already have rather than focus only on acquiring.

Mar 31st, '17, 11:27
Adagio
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: different parameters for the same tea in various pots

by Emily@Adagio » Mar 31st, '17, 11:27

Moving this post to the Teaware>Miscellaneous category for you, since this question/discussion is about Teaware :D

+ Post Reply