Oct 27th 17 7:00 pm
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 24th 17 6:30 pm
Location: Finland

Tea pets

by Redswam » Oct 27th 17 7:00 pm

I came across to this term, could someone tell me more about them? I made a google image search and some of them were so cute! :3 That aside, do they have a purpose of some kind, I read they are a good luck charms of a sort?

I'm new to this site, so if this is in wrong place or something, forgive me!

User avatar
Oct 27th 17 9:38 pm
Posts: 202
Joined: Feb 10th 14 1:01 am

Tea pets

by CWarren » Oct 27th 17 9:38 pm

Redswam wrote:I came across to this term, could someone tell me more about them? I made a google image search and some of them were so cute! :3 That aside, do they have a purpose of some kind, I read they are a good luck charms of a sort?

I'm new to this site, so if this is in wrong place or something, forgive me!
A past thread on TeaChat: https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php? ... lit=Teapet

There was another thread posted regarding this topic some years back but must have been deleted during the latest “purge”.

Also from Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_pet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by CWarren on Oct 27th 17 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 27th 17 9:45 pm
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 24th 17 6:30 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Tea pets

by Redswam » Oct 27th 17 9:45 pm

CWarren wrote:
Redswam wrote:I came across to this term, could someone tell me more about them? I made a google image search and some of them were so cute! :3 That aside, do they have a purpose of some kind, I read they are a good luck charms of a sort?

I'm new to this site, so if this is in wrong place or something, forgive me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_pet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To summerize, they are used as good luck charms, but there is one type, that you can use to judge the water temperature? Thanks :)

User avatar
Oct 27th 17 9:52 pm
Posts: 202
Joined: Feb 10th 14 1:01 am

Re: Tea pets

by CWarren » Oct 27th 17 9:52 pm

Redswam wrote:
CWarren wrote:
Redswam wrote:I came across to this term, could someone tell me more about them? I made a google image search and some of them were so cute! :3 That aside, do they have a purpose of some kind, I read they are a good luck charms of a sort?

I'm new to this site, so if this is in wrong place or something, forgive me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_pet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To summerize, they are used as good luck charms, but there is one type, that you can use to judge the water temperature? Thanks :)
Most used are made of yixing and like pots over time get a nice patina/shine to them. They also have them made in celadon, Jianshui, etc or mixed materials. I’ve not seen any that judge water temps but I have seen color changers based on hot water. In the end tea pets can be just good fun during tea.

Oct 27th 17 9:56 pm
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 24th 17 6:30 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Tea pets

by Redswam » Oct 27th 17 9:56 pm

CWarren wrote:
Redswam wrote:
CWarren wrote:
Redswam wrote:I came across to this term, could someone tell me more about them? I made a google image search and some of them were so cute! :3 That aside, do they have a purpose of some kind, I read they are a good luck charms of a sort?

I'm new to this site, so if this is in wrong place or something, forgive me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_pet


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To summerize, they are used as good luck charms, but there is one type, that you can use to judge the water temperature? Thanks :)
Most used are made of yixing and like pots over time get a nice patina/shine to them. They also have them made in celadon, Jianshui, etc or mixed materials. I’ve not seen any that judge water temps but I have seen color changers based on hot water. In the end tea pets can be just good fun during tea.
Okay :) Just cute tea-friends, so to speak