Jul 18th, '07, 01:00
Scrolling: scrolling

Worth the cash?

by fencerdenoctum » Jul 18th, '07, 01:00

On a recent trip to the local mall, against my better judgment (boredom seems to play a large part here) I stopped in the obligatory "Chinese gift store" the kind with wall hanger swords and cheap little gifts. I noticed that they carry quite a bit of teaware. Some were small Kyuusu style with equally small cups (though I'm not sure how big a kyuusu cup is supposed to be) and then my eyes fell on a tea set wrapped in plastic. Each cup as well as the pot had a sticker marked Yixing on them. I've looked into Yixing pots before and without ordering one from a company that everyone on Teachat has suggested (I'm quite the lurker) I've no clue what to look for to even tell if this is a real yixing set.

The pot and cups are brown with chinese Characters all over them (no clue what it might be) and come in a pretty decent looking box. Price is about 30.00 bucks. I thought about picking one up for no other reason than it was a buy one get one sale but I figured it may be better to save the cash to buy more quality teaware.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for, and would they even be worth trying to brew any sort of tea in at all?

A bit long for a first post, I tend to rant in the later hours.

Steeping in anticipation,
Dustin

Jul 18th, '07, 02:38

by Space Samurai » Jul 18th, '07, 02:38

I would hesitate before buying teaware from a place like the one you described. While it is possible you could get your money's worth, I think you have a much higher chance of getting screwed.

I know some people here have bought yixing pots from Yunnan Sourcing on eBay. They seem to have a good selection at good prices. Funalliance also has a large selection of yixing.

Is it worth the cash? That's up to you. I have pots that range from $30-$180, so its clearly worth it to me. I'd say that if you're not interested in owning a nice pot just for the sake of the pot, then go cheap. Well, cheap-ish. Its been my experience that you get what you pay off, but you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a pot that will make a good cup of tea.

Jul 18th, '07, 14:29

by fencerdenoctum » Jul 18th, '07, 14:29

I agree with you on that space, I'm sure it will no doubt produce tea, but the only qualms I have about buying it are if its real yixing or if its just some random clay or some such. Just by reading the board here, it makes me think that yixing ware is some kind of wonder clay and by that same logic the price of one will be along those lines.

Heck, even if it is a bad grade of the stuff, two pots and ten cups for around thirty bones can't be THAT bad.

Jul 18th, '07, 15:40

by Chip » Jul 18th, '07, 15:40

...I would not drink out of it...

I have seen the crap at those mall Chinese stores, and even almost bought one of those sets. But the likelihood of it being a knockoff is very high, or at least too high. And if it is a knockoff, what else might be in the clay...what is the clay source.

I would feel very strange bringing one of those cups to my lips filled with tea brewed from one of those cups. I just don't think I could allow that liquid into my mouth. :roll:

Jul 18th, '07, 16:02

by Space Samurai » Jul 18th, '07, 16:02

Buying from a place like that, you just can't be sure of what you're getting, and I think its better to be sure. I'd reccomend purchasing from a website that you trust.

Jul 18th, '07, 17:59

by ABx » Jul 18th, '07, 17:59

You could also head to Chinatown and buy from a store that considers that kind of teaware as more a commodity than a specialty or luxury item. I almost bought one of those sets until the owner of the store stopped me and showed me how cheap it was. He then helped me pick out individual items that were MUCH better quality, and all for approximately the same price.

Generally speaking, I've found that if you go to an Asian owned store that caters to mostly Asians, and you show a genuine respect and interest in the things they sell, they are often more than willing to go out of their way to give you some real guidance and make sure you don't feel ripped off in the end. There are exceptions, of course, but I've found this to be true more often than not.

Jul 18th, '07, 18:30

by fencerdenoctum » Jul 18th, '07, 18:30

This thread proves I've lurked too long. You guys are awesome.

Found one online that looks exactly like the set for about the same price, but after thinking about it, I think I'll pass. I'll stick with my Adagio glass teapot for now and just buy more tea.

+ Post Reply