How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Apr 26th, '17, 16:35

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by victoria3 » Apr 26th, '17, 16:35

A visitor today inspecting Hokujo pots on windowsill.
Attachments
Bee in Hokujo_sms.jpg
Bee in Hokujo_sms.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Apr 26th, '17, 20:07

by Ferg » Apr 26th, '17, 20:07

victoria3 wrote: A visitor today inspecting Hokujo pots on windowsill.
Beautiful capture! Has to be my favorite picture you've taken thus far. The sandy Hokujo clay complements the yellows of the bee. :)

Apr 26th, '17, 21:19

by Ferg » Apr 26th, '17, 21:19

victoria3 wrote: Here are a few more ferg:
I have a growing collection of Shimizu Genji (Hokujo 3rd generation) teaware that I love using for roasted oolongs. He is from the Hokujo kiln in Tokoname so is commonly referred to simply as Hokujo. His dense pots are made of natural unprocessed high fired unglazed stoneware, Yakishime. Breaking with tradition he introduced this new type of clay to Tokoname's lineup. The clay is high in iron oxide, oxide reacts with tannins smoothing out tannic bitterness. The high quality clay used is somewhat porous, bringing out aromatics while maintaining the body of tea. The pots are hand thrown, dense but lightweight with relatively thin walls. I believe they are reduction fired, though the pots are not blackened from carbon. I find reduction firing brings out aroma and aftertaste. The pour is perfect and lid is an exact fit... a delight to handle
Chen's Roasted DongDing w Hokujo set wht_1sm.jpg
You have quite the nice set there! :o

Thanks for the backdrop on Hokujo, or Shimizu Genji I should say. Is Hokujo a family name passed down or did others work at this kiln? Indeed, his work is quite impeccable, in terms of precision and lid fit. With water poured to the brim, the lid literally vacuum seals atop.

Perhaps I'm too picky, or don't fully realize high-quality, but I'm not yet sold on the lightness factor. I personally like a little heft to a pot when held in hand, just to know the thing exists...if that makes any sense. :roll: But it has been a joy to use so far in performance and aesthetically.

I am sure the tea pairs wonderfully with the clay. The pictures look so tasty. Many both here and on IG appear to favor oolongs in his work. As you know, I like to stick to roots. I know there are those who would disagree, but I innately feel that leaves would taste best in the mud/clay of that same country or area of origin. Of course, this is only speculation on my part, as I've never ventured outside of this in tea pairings.

I am tempted to give the Hokujo a spin with oolong, but would fear ruining the slight sencha patina I've already built up on the thing!

Apr 27th, '17, 02:10

by williammimi70 » Apr 27th, '17, 02:10

Sharing my Kyusu
Attachments
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG (23.49 KiB) Viewed 1126 times

Apr 27th, '17, 02:15

by victoria3 » Apr 27th, '17, 02:15

Gorgeous! Truly.
Is that jade or porcelain?

Apr 27th, '17, 02:40

by williammimi70 » Apr 27th, '17, 02:40

victoria3 wrote: Gorgeous! Truly.
Is that jade or porcelain?
It is porcelain : qingbai glaze I believe. :D

Apr 27th, '17, 02:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 27th, '17, 02:57

Lovely kyusu! Really nice glaze!

Apr 27th, '17, 09:35

by williammimi70 » Apr 27th, '17, 09:35

William wrote: Lovely kyusu! Really nice glaze!
thank you William :D

May 2nd, '17, 03:48

Re: NEW! Ode to the Kyusu

by sugataishi » May 2nd, '17, 03:48

There is a really interesting tea bowl in your picture. What is it?

May 14th, '17, 13:42

by Ferg » May 14th, '17, 13:42

I've had my eye on this kyusu for over a year and a half now. As a small consolation for skipping a vaca trip to Hawaii, this guy arrived two days back! :) A namamigaki Gisui of hon-shudei clay @ 160-170ml.
1 - New Gisui.jpg
Part of my hesitation in purchasing sooner was the slightly leaning lid top. I considered this a defect at first glance, but based upon my other Gisui, I believe he does little personal touches like this intentionally. When I go to pour my thumb fits snug against the slight bend, making it much more comfortable to hold in place.
2 -In-hand.jpg

May 14th, '17, 13:45

by Ferg » May 14th, '17, 13:45

Went a little overboard with pics on this one. I guess I was so excited since I'd been keeping my eye on it for so long!

This has to be best looking direct filter on a Gisui I've seen thus far. The pour speed matches that of the kyusu sold to pizzapotamus.
3 -Direct Filter Shot.jpg
And had to get one of his signature of course! :wink:
4 - Gisui Signature.jpg

May 14th, '17, 14:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » May 14th, '17, 14:15

That leaning lid's top is a brilliant idea! :shock:

May 14th, '17, 15:16

by Ferg » May 14th, '17, 15:16

William wrote: That leaning lid's top is a brilliant idea! :shock:
Ha, thanks William! I appreciate it. Makes me feel even better about it. 8)

May 14th, '17, 15:31

by victoria3 » May 14th, '17, 15:31

Ferg wrote:
William wrote: That leaning lid's top is a brilliant idea! :shock:
Ha, thanks William! I appreciate it. Makes me feel even better about it. 8)
I like the idea of imperfection making the pot more comfortable to handle. The handle looks like a lyrical trumpet. The clay looks more brown beige or is it the lighting? The Shimizu Ken Nosaka back handle kyusu I got from you, for some reason likes to collect tea staining at the rim of the pot- comes off easily- but I wonder if this is a result of the namamigaki polishing smoothing process reaching the edge of inside/ outside of the pot.

Hojo equates Hon-Shudei clay (Nosaka) with Zhuni, both being rich in iron, lower in zinc, copper and magnesium, making tea taste softer and smoother, flavour long lasting. I'll need to do a comparison between pots to see what the effect is though.

May 14th, '17, 16:01

by Ferg » May 14th, '17, 16:01

victoria3 wrote:
I like the idea of imperfection making the pot more comfortable to handle. The handle looks like a lyrical trumpet. The clay looks more brown beige or is it the lighting? The Shimizu Ken Nosaka back handle kyusu I got from you, for some reason likes to collect tea staining at the rim of the pot- comes off easily- but I wonder if this is a result of the namamigaki polishing smoothing process reaching the edge of inside/ outside of the pot.

Hojo equates Hon-Shudei clay (Nosaka) with Zhuni, both being rich in iron, lower in zinc, copper and magnesium, making tea taste softer and smoother, flavour long lasting. I'll need to do a comparison between pots to see what the effect is though.
Hey again. Happened to be cleaning it now, so took a couple more shots in the sunlight. The clay is a brownish-red color. More of a brown-beige to it as mentioned compared to HongNi, Mumyoi, or Nosaka clays.
Kyusu in light.jpg
This is only my second use and it already appears to have stains around the rim. My other pot from Shimizu Ken did this as well. It must be characteristic of namamigaki polishing. Perhaps it's due to the interaction between the lid and pot. Strange though, the lid wasn't stained as the pot itself. My simple solution for this is gently rubbing the stained areas with my thumb when running it under hot water before shelving.
Rim staining.jpg
Interesting info from Hojo. I am not too savy when it comes to clay constituents. I have heard that Tokoname clay is higher in iron, which makes for a richer brew. There is something to this hon-shudei though, 'hon' as in origin or pure I believe. Tea simply tastes better in it. I had stellar brews both times with the Kinari. Thanks again! :D

+ Post Reply