How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Oct 22nd, '13, 16:06

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Peacock » Oct 22nd, '13, 16:06

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:
Peacock wrote:Where has all the wonderful kyusu's been as of lately?

Here's my latest friend from potter Touju.
Very nice! Is this the one from Artistic Nippon? It looks to be; I was also drawn to this piece and find it to have such an aesthetically pleasing texture and shape. The volume is a bit big for my usage though. Congratulations on the new piece. Really wonderful light in the photo!!
Yes it is and there is still another one available. 7.6 ounces is about the max for myself. As for the texture I like to rub my hands across it and feel all the imperfections. The inro lid is really appealing, but if I'm not careful I can easily chip it.

Oct 25th, '13, 14:35

by kikula » Oct 25th, '13, 14:35

Mmm, and have you seen the newest additions at Artistic Nippon, Echizenyaki? I can't afford anything at the moment, but if I could... really beautiful. Love #9, 6th one down, big though. And the sold one, which is smaller. Yum.

Oct 26th, '13, 21:56

by Peacock » Oct 26th, '13, 21:56

Here's another photo that's slightly better with the other side in the shadow.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OznV ... -no/13+-+1

Nov 3rd, '13, 14:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 3rd, '13, 14:04

kikula wrote:Mmm, and have you seen the newest additions at Artistic Nippon, Echizenyaki? I can't afford anything at the moment, but if I could... really beautiful. Love #9, 6th one down, big though. And the sold one, which is smaller. Yum.
Yes I have. :shock: Thank goodness the ones I had visual interest in were all way too big for my wants/needs considering their cost.

But I hope to see more of these!!!

Nov 3rd, '13, 14:17

by debunix » Nov 3rd, '13, 14:17

kikula wrote:Mmm, and have you seen the newest additions at Artistic Nippon, Echizenyaki?
I've been drooling over the safely expensive first pot listed in that set. Oh my.

But my kyusu collection is now at....(counting)....5....and really that's all I need.

Nov 4th, '13, 11:00

by theredbaron » Nov 4th, '13, 11:00

Chip wrote:Oh, nice. I got a newest Hojo magic clay small one too, 140 ml ... and a 200 ... and ... well let's just leave it at that for now. :oops:

I bought one of them as well, just arrived today. What a great pot, the clay indeed gives great body and aftertaste. It's beautiful in its simplicity and slightly roughish clay, and very functional.
The size makes it a perfect Sencha pot for me.

Nov 18th, '13, 19:04

Question Re: Fukamushi Kyusu

by Noonie » Nov 18th, '13, 19:04

My only kyusu is the Den's 'special' that I got last May for around $5 :D

I use it for sencha, including deeply steamed (fukamushi). My question is whether the so-called fukamushi pots have a "much" better filter than on my Den's pot...in terms of keeping out the fine leaves from the cup. I actually don't mind a few fines in the cup, but as this is my fav tea I thought I would get a dedicated pot for it.

However, when looking at the selection of kyusu on o-cha or yuuki-cha there are only a few so-called fukamushi pots, but so many other (and sometimes, to me, nicer looking) pots that if I were to only buy one more I would like something appealing to me in terms of style, though also functional for my intended use.

Thanks.

Nov 19th, '13, 08:27

by Chip » Nov 19th, '13, 08:27

This comes down to personal preference. I know a lot of people including some selling very fine Japanese tea who use the stainless mesh screens.

I have several of these but I tend to reach for the more "organic" clay screens such as sesame or ball even for fukamushi. I obviously must not mind particles getting into the cup, just not a big deal for me.

Sometimes shape is more important to me than the screen. A well crafted TALLer Kyusu handles fukamushi very well. But with practice, almost any Kyusu will work.

Nov 19th, '13, 16:30

by Noonie » Nov 19th, '13, 16:30

Chip wrote:Sometimes shape is more important to me than the screen. A well crafted TALLer Kyusu handles fukamushi very well. But with practice, almost any Kyusu will work.
Thanks, Chip. Can you explain why a taller one is better for fukamushi (vs regular sencha)?

I think I would prefer no screen, as it's more natural and also I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning the screen (just flushing out any bits that get caught in the sesame/ball filter). This will give me more selection for the next purhcase! I like the look of "Matsukawa Mogake Tokoname Teapot" at yuuki-cha

Nov 19th, '13, 21:03

by Chip » Nov 19th, '13, 21:03

Noonie wrote:
Chip wrote:Sometimes shape is more important to me than the screen. A well crafted TALLer Kyusu handles fukamushi very well. But with practice, almost any Kyusu will work.
Thanks, Chip. Can you explain why a taller one is better for fukamushi (vs regular sencha)?

I think I would prefer no screen, as it's more natural and also I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning the screen (just flushing out any bits that get caught in the sesame/ball filter). This will give me more selection for the next purhcase! I like the look of "Matsukawa Mogake Tokoname Teapot" at yuuki-cha
A taller kyusu would work for any sencha. However I like them for fukamushi because the particles begin clinging to the side of the pot before reaching the screen. Thus fewer leaf particles actually reach the screen.

Modifying the way you pour on a lower pot can reproduce the same effect ...

Nov 19th, '13, 21:09

by Chip » Nov 19th, '13, 21:09

theredbaron wrote:
Chip wrote:Oh, nice. I got a newest Hojo magic clay small one too, 140 ml ... and a 200 ... and ... well let's just leave it at that for now. :oops:

I bought one of them as well, just arrived today. What a great pot, the clay indeed gives great body and aftertaste. It's beautiful in its simplicity and slightly roughish clay, and very functional.
These are nice indeed. I like the textural feel. And the clay definitely seems to posively enhance sencha brewing.

I do notice a slight dribble which has already left the "dribble stain" from the spout to the bottom after daily use for a month or so. No biggie ... but some Kyusu spout are perhaps a bit better designed in this regard. It does not bother me.

Nov 21st, '13, 03:47

by theredbaron » Nov 21st, '13, 03:47

Chip wrote:
theredbaron wrote:

These are nice indeed. I like the textural feel. And the clay definitely seems to posively enhance sencha brewing.

I do notice a slight dribble which has already left the "dribble stain" from the spout to the bottom after daily use for a month or so. No biggie ... but some Kyusu spout are perhaps a bit better designed in this regard. It does not bother me.

Same with my pot, and it doesn't bother me either. The developing stain just adds character. I can see already when the pot, after years of use, will darken and has lots of tea stains... :)

I find the handle design very comfortable to use

Dec 15th, '13, 16:57

by Poohblah » Dec 15th, '13, 16:57

New Novák addition to my small but growing collection. A touch above 200mL; glazed interior. Used for my everyday teas, particularly Yunnan dianhong and other hongcha. This one is a replacement for my cheap glass teapot of the same size and purpose.
This is my first woodfired teapot. If you've never owned a woodfire piece, it can be difficult to know the quality of the glaze through pictures alone. There is a tremendous amount of variation in the glaze. In some parts - I'm guessing the sides facing the fire? - the glaze is smooth, glassy, even metallic. On the other side, the glaze is matte and rough.

Dec 15th, '13, 17:12

by MIKE_B » Dec 15th, '13, 17:12

Nice one, Poohblah!

Dec 15th, '13, 17:20

by Chip » Dec 15th, '13, 17:20

MIKE_B wrote:Nice one, Poohblah!
Oh yeah! Shuweet. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply