How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Jul 13th, '17, 01:56

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by victoria3 » Jul 13th, '17, 01:56

Ferg the clay of your Yamada Jozan III pot looks amazing, perfect, deep red clay, not too shiny, slightly porous, looks just thrown. I'm sure it is well Very balanced with your Japanese teas. I'd like to hold it frankly, looks so nice. Anywhooo, here is my mystery twisted spout pot with signature stamp. I'd say either a generation of Yamada or Fugetsu although a vendor online listed this stamp as Hojo craftsman, but never answered any of my questions as to details (not Hojo tea).
Yamada or Fugetsu.png
Yamada or Fugetsu.png (114.09 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

Jul 15th, '17, 23:59

by debunix » Jul 15th, '17, 23:59

The twisty spout is a beautiful touch, makes me want to fondle that pot.

Jul 16th, '17, 17:26

by Ferg » Jul 16th, '17, 17:26

debunix wrote: The twisty spout is a beautiful touch, makes me want to fondle that pot.
Yes, I too like the twisted spout on this one! The clay is such a deep, rich red, similar to the Yamada.

I searched the directory, but didn't have any luck in identifying the stamp, at least the first time through looking. Granted, it was about 200 pages worth of potters, so I'll have to do another pass when I have time.

In the meantime, I've reached out to a potter to see if he could aide in its identification. To keep you posted.
Last edited by Ferg on Jul 16th, '17, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 16th, '17, 20:08

by Ferg » Jul 16th, '17, 20:08

victoria3 wrote: Anywhooo, here is my mystery twisted spout pot with signature stamp. I'd say either a generation of Yamada or Fugetsu although a vendor online listed this stamp as Hojo craftsman, but never answered any of my questions as to details (not Hojo tea).

Yamada or Fugetsu.png
Victoria, my potter friend got back to me already. Said the following:

"Maybe 北條 hokujyo. It is an old work so it is totally different from now."

To be honest, when I looked through all the stamps, Hokujo's page was the only one I really paused at long and studied hard. The overall shape of the top left stamp looks most similar to yours. And this is further corroborated by the fact of the vendor's response that the maker was Hojo, not far off from Hokujo.

If this is the case, wow! You have an innate draw towards his work. :o

Jul 16th, '17, 20:27

by victoria3 » Jul 16th, '17, 20:27

Ferg wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Anywhooo, here is my mystery twisted spout pot with signature stamp. I'd say either a generation of Yamada or Fugetsu although a vendor online listed this stamp as Hojo craftsman, but never answered any of my questions as to details (not Hojo tea).

Yamada or Fugetsu.png
Victoria, my potter friend got back to me already. Said the following:

"Maybe 北條 hokujyo. It is an old work so it is totally different from now."

To be honest, when I looked through all the stamps, Hokujo's page was the only one I really paused at long and studied hard. The overall shape of the top left stamp looks most similar to yours. And this is further corroborated by the fact of the vendor's response that the maker was Hojo, not far off from Hokujo.

If this is the case, wow! You have an innate draw towards his work. :o
Hmmm interesting. Thanks for looking into this Ferg really nice of you. I saw an item on eBay with same stamp so I wrote the vendor he replied;

常滑焼 Tokoname-ware
北條 Hojo made

Same characters as your friend's reply saying Hokujo. Very interesting indeed :D

Jul 16th, '17, 20:33

by Ferg » Jul 16th, '17, 20:33

victoria3 wrote:
北條 Hojo made

Same characters as your friend's reply saying Hokujo. Very interesting indeed :D
And these two characters are also on Hokujo's page per the Tokoname Directory!

I always wondered what his shudei works looked like. Well, now I know of one. :)

Jul 18th, '17, 21:59

by victoria3 » Jul 18th, '17, 21:59

Ferg, how are you finding Yamada Jozan III shudei clay? Is it more porous and softer than other pots you have used? Any noticeable effect on water or tea? My twisted spout kyusu is quite dense and thin, perfect for young senchas by not retaining too much heat between steeps.

Jul 18th, '17, 22:25

by Ferg » Jul 18th, '17, 22:25

victoria3 wrote: Ferg, how are you finding Yamada Jozan III shudei clay? Is it more porous and softer than other pots you have used? Any noticeable effect on water or tea? My twisted spout kyusu is quite dense and thin, perfect for young senchas by not retaining too much heat between steeps.
I should try drinking just water from it. I've had four sessions of Tsuen's Yume no Ukihashi Uji Gyokuro so far. There has been absolutely no bitterness from the tea whatsoever. It's been either too light, due to too cool temp or short steeping, or just right. When I've gotten it right a few times, the umami is the really the bomb! I will do some more experimenting before giving you further feedback. I'm not as adept as many here in discerning differences in clay, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about. Hopefully, over time, I'm able to provide more insight.

As far as the Shincha Kinari and Yutaka Midori '16 vs. '17 comparisons, I haven't done em yet because I don't have two of the same kyusu. Debated about buying two porcelain of same size, but that would set me back a little, and beyond the taste testing I know I wouldn't reach for them as I prefer drinking from clay. I think I might use same kyusu, writing down parameters to match and drink back-to-back or morning/afternoon or day-over-day. Let me know if you think one method is better over another.

Jul 18th, '17, 22:48

by victoria3 » Jul 18th, '17, 22:48

Ferg wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Ferg, how are you finding Yamada Jozan III shudei clay? Is it more porous and softer than other pots you have used? Any noticeable effect on water or tea? My twisted spout kyusu is quite dense and thin, perfect for young senchas by not retaining too much heat between steeps.
I should try drinking just water from it. I've had four sessions of Tsuen's Yume no Ukihashi Uji Gyokuro so far. There has been absolutely no bitterness from the tea whatsoever. It's been either too light, due to too cool temp or short steeping, or just right. When I've gotten it right a few times, the umami is the really the bomb! I will do some more experimenting before giving you further feedback. I'm not as adept as many here in discerning differences in clay, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what I'm talking about. Hopefully, over time, I'm able to provide more insight.

As far as the Shincha Kinari and Yutaka Midori '16 vs. '17 comparisons, I haven't done em yet because I don't have two of the same kyusu. Debated about buying two porcelain of same size, but that would set me back a little, and beyond the taste testing I know I wouldn't reach for them as I prefer drinking from clay. I think I might use same kyusu, writing down parameters to match and drink back-to-back or morning/afternoon or day-over-day. Let me know if you think one method is better over another.
To compare '16-'17 you could use your porcelain Gafu Ito kyusu and a porcelain cup w/improvised lid side by side, or us both of your shudei kyusu side by side. I don't think it has to be too exacting :D

Jul 18th, '17, 23:28

by Ferg » Jul 18th, '17, 23:28

victoria3 wrote:
Ferg wrote:

To compare '16-'17 you could use your porcelain Gafu Ito kyusu and a porcelain cup w/improvised lid side by side, or us both of your shudei kyusu side by side. I don't think it has to be too exacting :D
That's a good idea. Gafu's teapot has some type of glaze across it, with some clay parts barely exposed throughout, which I like of course. Not sure if this is porcelain, but it should have a similar effect. You realize my porcelain cup is a repurposed gaiwan, right? :lol: Would the lid be used for the purpose of smelling? And if so, when do you do this cupping I think they call it?

Jul 19th, '17, 01:48

by victoria3 » Jul 19th, '17, 01:48

Ferg wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
Ferg wrote:

That's a good idea. Gafu's teapot has some type of glaze across it, with some clay parts barely exposed throughout, which I like of course. Not sure if this is porcelain, but it should have a similar effect. You realize my porcelain cup is a repurposed gaiwan, right? :lol: Would the lid be used for the purpose of smelling? And if so, when do you do this cupping I think they call it?
I wish teachat had a location for pictures we post connected to out profile. I found your cup, I see it is a gaiwan so you can use that for '16 and Gafu's teapot for '17 or visa versa. I'd use small glass cups or other small porcelain cups you have around to drink from. Here is a comparison I did a while ago, so you can look at pictures as reference;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21540

Jul 19th, '17, 10:08

by TORamarn » Jul 19th, '17, 10:08

Ferg wrote:
That's a good idea. Gafu's teapot has some type of glaze across it, with some clay parts barely exposed throughout, which I like of course. Not sure if this is porcelain, but it should have a similar effect...
Gafu's white teapot is semi-porcelain, which is porcelain mixed with some other clays. It is ash-glazed.

Jul 20th, '17, 22:46

by Ferg » Jul 20th, '17, 22:46

TORamarn wrote:
Ferg wrote:
That's a good idea. Gafu's teapot has some type of glaze across it, with some clay parts barely exposed throughout, which I like of course. Not sure if this is porcelain, but it should have a similar effect...
Gafu's white teapot is semi-porcelain, which is porcelain mixed with some other clays. It is ash-glazed.
Thanks TORamarn! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Good to know the materials used. What effect, if any, does the ash glaze have on the brewing process?

Jul 22nd, '17, 10:16

by TORamarn » Jul 22nd, '17, 10:16

Ferg wrote:
Thanks TORamarn! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Good to know the materials used. What effect, if any, does the ash glaze have on the brewing process?
Well, I'm not sure about the effect. I *guess* each artist's ash glaze could be different. Why don't you brew the same tea with a porcelain gaiwan and this teapot and share what you find with us? :wink:

Jul 30th, '17, 16:11
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jul 30th, '17, 16:11

bizencrazed wrote:Man the forums seem real vacant. I've been lurking for a while and around 2015ish everyone seems to have disappeared.
Despite that, I can't help but post my babies here, one of which is a yunomi, not a kyusu, but oh well.
Since only three photos are allowed, this is my tokoname kyusu by Shoryu. It's what started my addiction. The rest of my collection to come!
Well I can't speak for anyone else but all the forum "updates" have been a logistical nightmare for my posting. It used to be easy to post and put up photos with my phone. Now I find myself spending 20 minutes just trying to get a single photo up. Complete waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Post Reply